Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1985 cj 7 starter stuck!!!

Time Online: 21 Hrs 15 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs

1985 cj 7 starter stuck!!!

Have 85 cj7 when you go to start it it starts normal and then when key is returned to run position stays rolling over also when a turned to off position stays rolling,
    Have changed:
    Solenoid
    Ign switch
    Brand new starter

Also tried bypass key by adding secondary push start and same problem.
    Anyone got ideas???????

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 21 Hrs 42 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 18 Secs
    Sounds like a short. Check the wiring from the starter back and look for brakes/melting/fraying etc. Also look for damage in any connectors.
    Signed with an X

May my YJ RIP
    Building an SAS Xterra...slowly

Checked it all but possible I'm missing something I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Need some things clarified in your post:

When you stated that "it stays rolling" after the key is shut off, what does that mean? Is the starter still staying engaged at that point? Is the engine continuing to run after that? Or is it that the engine and the starter are continuing to both run together when the key is switched off?

With the engine off, what happens when you turn the key to the run position, NOT the crank position, from the off position? Does the starter engage?

Off the top of my head, it sounds like there is a wiring issue. The starter is being energized in the run position somehow. And as for running after they key is shut off, and assuming the new ignition switch is wired and working properly, often the case is the alternator is back feeding the ignition circuit or in this case the starter circuit.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Rolling means stays engine rolling but not running and when turn to off position still stays turning over, I checked wiring and changed the stated parts just was seeing if anyone had any other ideas I was missing before I do the paying,

The alternator is a good call my gage was acting up on it before this issue too

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick00 View Post
    Rolling means stays engine rolling but not running and when turn to off position still stays turning over, I checked wiring and changed the stated parts just was seeing if anyone had any other ideas I was missing before I do the paying,
    Ok, it is confusing terminology to me. So, in other words you can shut the engine off with the key and the starter continues to stay engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    With the engine off, what happens when you turn the key to the run position, NOT the crank position, from the off position? Does the starter engage?
    Can you clarify ^this please?

Nothing normal operation until you try to start

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Ok, these things are often difficult to diagnose over the interweb without having the vehicle in front of you.

But I'm going to take a guess based on the info presented.

From your description, the problem does not appear until the engine is running. The run position on the ignition works properly with the engine off. The crank position engages the starter properly and not until the engine is running does the starter fail to disengage and will still not disengage even with the key returned to the off position A fair description of the symptoms?

If so, I'm going to continue with the notion that the alternator is somehow back feeding the starter circuit. It is possible that the alternator itself is not the source of the problem - it could be how the field wire is connected. This is an ignition on circuit and if it got muddled up with the starter circuit there might be a problem.

Two simple things come to mind to check before doing anything else:

Tell me what happens when you just bump the starter with the key without trying to start the engine. Does the starter shut off when you release it from the crank position or does it continue to crank and start the engine?

Unplug the alternator field wire(s) and start the engine. What happens? Does everything work fine or does the problem persist?

Have to unhook battery to stop it

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Have to unhook battery to stop it

If you want the most effective help possible, you need to do your part by being as descriptive as possible. Help those that are trying to help you.

I understand you have to unhook the battery to make the starter stop.

However, there were two things that I asked you to check and it is unclear if your reply was aimed at the two things that you needed to check or not.

Time Online: 1 Mth 14 Hrs 25 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 31 Secs
    It sounds like you have the wrong starter solenoid. How many terminals does it have? I have an 84 CJ and the solenoid has 5 terminals. The one on the back is the ground for the coil. If you use a standard solenoid (4 terminal) then it uses the body of the solenoid as ground. So the relay will stay energized, and your starter will stay on.
    07 Commander 5.7L Hemi

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ5Steve View Post
    It sounds like you have the wrong starter solenoid. How many terminals does it have? I have an 84 CJ and the solenoid has 5 terminals. The one on the back is the ground for the coil. If you use a standard solenoid (4 terminal) then it uses the body of the solenoid as ground. So the relay will stay energized, and your starter will stay on.
    It has been a long time since I have messed with OEM CJ stuff so bear with me...isn't the 5 post solenoid only for the auto tranny CJ's where the ground for the neutral safety switch is connected to the back stud? I believe the standard transmission CJ's still only use the 4 post solenoid. The negative side of the coil should be the switched side from the ignition module.

The 'I' terminal on the solenoid goes to the coil positive and is what energizes the positive side of the coil only in the crank position. This is the wire that I think might be getting wired incorrectly to deliver the back feed to keep the solenoid closed even when there should be no power at the 'S' terminal.
    Last edited by Stickybongsmoking; 03-28-2014 at 11:06 AM.

My apologies, I'm trying to answer promptly while at work, yes your description is correct I will try bump the starter and also unplug alternator and see after work, I forgot to mention my positive feed to solenoid gets HOT

4 post solenoid

My Mood
    Buzzed
    My apologies, I'm trying to answer promptly while at work, yes your description is correct I will try bump the starter and also unplug alternator and see after work, I forgot to mention my positive feed to solenoid gets HOT

No problem. Post from home tonight when you can work on the jeep and one way or another we should be able to help you figure it out.

If by positive feed to the solenoid you are referring to the cable that feeds power to the solenoid from the battery, then it is possible that it may get warm from prolonged starter cranking. If it is getting too hot to touch, you have a resistance issue with that cable or its connections. An old fubar'd cable or poor connections at the terminals can cause enough resistance to allow for poor conductivity which can result in excessive heat.

4 post solenoid

Assuming it is a manual, that is the correct solenoid. And have a look at what all is connected to the 'I' terminal of the solenoid. There shouldn't be anything connected to it other than the positive coil wire. Same goes for the coil end of that wire - there should be no other wires connected to the positive side of the coil.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Days 13 Hrs 42 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 19 Secs
    Seen this before and the problem was either the solenoid and or the connections to the solenoid...
    So I would start with the wires connected to the solenoid that they are on the correct sides...
    1989 Jeep MJ: 4.7L Stroker, 4WD Swap, 97+Conversion, RC Long Arm Upgrade Kit, 35x12.5x18 Mickey Thompson MTZ's, WJ D30, WK SRT8 Rear D44 w/approx. 8" Lift
    1983 Jeep CJ7: SOLD

It IS manual, yes feeding wire to solenoid gets hot, it's brand new cable connecting the 2, brand new starter, brand new solenoid, on the battery side of the solenoid is the battery connection and wire for alternator, other side is only starter cable, I will do the tests when get home and let you know

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepman View Post
    Seen this before and the problem was either the solenoid and or the connections to the solenoid...
    So I would start with the wires connected to the solenoid that they are on the correct sides...
    This problem came out of nowhere shut it off at end day went to start back up next day, that was my first option was solenoid so I changed it ( hooked it back up as it was) problem still them went to new ignition switch, still problem, then ordered new start and still.

Time Online: 1 Day 20 Hrs 42 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Secs
    hit the solenoid with something

Quote Originally Posted by davey25 View Post
    hit the solenoid with something
    It's a jeep not a ford lol 😆