Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "wobble" when turning

Time Online: 2 Days 6 Hrs 32 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Coley View Post
    The outer half of the drivers side u joint was seized solid.

With just a toolbox and a little f'n sledge I managed to swap it in an hour and a half.

CAA guy from the hammer was parked across the road for 20 after dropping off a Subaru next door. He was watching me hammer away for a while before asking if I remembered to remove the c-clips. Duh. As soon as he wandered up the driveway to supervise the last cap finally popped out. Attachment 89274. Rusty as f%ck.

Quick test drive and we'll see if that solved the problem.
    Just picking up on this thread (I know it's been here for awhile). I think I have the same problem and am considering replacing both front end u-joints myself. Any pointers? How difficult was it? I've got a 2008 JK unlimited and really the only thing that could cause a problem is the rust. The dealership was really good at helping me figure out the problem but mentioned that there may be an issue with the wheel bearing when putting it all back together.
    "Just because I don't know something, doesn't mean I'm not an expert"

My Mood
    Fine
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 2 Days 16 Hrs 55 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 16 Secs

"wobble" when turning

Quote Originally Posted by decan1 View Post
    Just picking up on this thread (I know it's been here for awhile). I think I have the same problem and am considering replacing both front end u-joints myself. Any pointers? How difficult was it? I've got a 2008 JK unlimited and really the only thing that could cause a problem is the rust. The dealership was really good at helping me figure out the problem but mentioned that there may be an issue with the wheel bearing when putting it all back together.
    Discovery... After replacing u joints every 10k,

Big knobby tires help cause, and mask bad bearings.

Bad bearings help destroy u joints faster.

Replace bearings, replace u joints... Smooth as butter.
    Coley - 2010 JKU - Deep Water Blue
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ColeyLikesBacon

Time Online: 2 Days 6 Hrs 32 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Secs
    When you removed your wheel bearing/hub, did you have a problem with the speed sensor? Did you remove it from the hub or just unplug it from behind the shock?