Thread: Fibreglass Repair

Time Online: 2 Days 15 Hrs 43 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Secs

Fibreglass Repair

i,m trying to fix some rust on my truck over the wheel arches with fibreglass. How do I get the bend underneath to do the lip ? I think if I just tried to push it on there that gravity will make it fall down. I need to create an L shape.
    Also if I am fixing a hole,can i run the fibreglass cloth longer and tape it on . I wouldnt put the resin on the whole piece but leave some room to cut away the excess after it hardens.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs

Fibreglass Repair

Fiberglass resin is sticky as hell. It won't peel and droop or drip unless you have WAY too much resin.

READ AND FOLLOW RESIN MIXING INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDING TEMPERATURE SUGGESTIONS.

Brush a thin layer of resin on the underside of the floor and stick the glass to it. Then add and dab in more resin as needed with the end of a stuff paint brush. IF mixed properly and not applied excessively it will be fine.

Any dry or extra glass can be ground off with a flap disk AFTER its dry. Cutting wet glass is futile and a good way to ruin scissors.

Sent from iThingy
    83 CJ9 LS5.3/4L60E/231/B4R/D300, 8274,D60/14b,ARBs,15"airbags susp, 18"stretch 39"PITBULLS
    09 Nissan
    Ford F350 CrewCab Long box 4x4 TowPIG/dd 165"wheelbase

Time Online: 2 Wks 20 Hrs 21 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 13 Secs
    Heres a trick I do with Carbon fibre as the fibre weave is Much more delicate. Clean the surface and spray some adhesive spray. You can then lay the glass onto the truck and it will sit and stay exactly where you place it. A poor mans version would be to brush resin on first, let it tack then lay the glass on it achieving the same result.

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 9 Secs

Fibreglass Repair

For big gaps and holes or corners that are going to sag this is a poor mans trick to get you going.

If you have perfect flat or 90 deg you can lay it up on wax paper on a bench or shape to form the glass. Remove the wax paper before its rock solid but completely firm. You can cut whatever size you need out of it after its dry with a decent set of scissors

Apply only enough resin to barely wet the cloth. A squeegee for body filler would work to distribute.
    badass tj " Hey bro I would really like 2 grab tht rear end."

Time Online: 17 Hrs 22 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    I have only used fiberglass on a couple little projects but I found that if you work with large gaps and or 90 degree angles, ive used masking tape and has worked great. you just have to make sure you apply the fiberglass resin to the STICKY side of the masking tape. When the fiberglass resin starts to set, just peel the tape off and you should be left with a workable surface for more resin applications or even fiberglass sheeting to be added. hope this helps!