Thread: turn signals and lighting

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 23 Hrs 37 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs

turn signals and lighting

just wondering what the rules are reguarding turn signals and accessory lighting. more specifically front turn signals and colored lighting. i picked up a new headlight for the bike and it has integraded leds on either side of the headlight. im going to wire them up as running lights and turn signals. that said the leds are white, do signals need to be a certain color?(amber) or certain distance from the headlight(a friend said he thought they needed to be so far away from the headlight) also want to put a couple blue leds on as accessory lighing they will not flash. any issues there?

thanks

bump?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 41 Secs

Re: turn signals and lighting

I hate to put my 2 cents in on a save officer thread but in order to help save a fellow Jkers life I will (delete it if you feel you must) do you think for a moment that a system like that would communicate to an oncoming car in any meaningful way what direction you intend to turn? If they could even see the leds through the glare of the headlight? Sure it looks slick in the show room and the garage but think about it on the road, none of us want to see you get smooshed because a car didn't realise you were turning.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs

Re: turn signals and lighting

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=125789

Read this thread to start. Be prepared to read the link I posted within that thread as well. If you want to start swapping out lights etc, I would make myself familiar with it. It's the federal standard for lighting on all vehicles in Canada.

If you have further questions after looking through that, ask away.

Cheers

Edit: I'll leave that post above as I also do NOT want to see anyone get squooshed let alone any JKer!
    Last edited by ON OFFroad; 04-30-2013 at 12:33 AM.
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

At or near the front - 1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline at the same height, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline of lamps) of 400 mm (16 inches). Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and headlamp is 100 mm (4 inches).

At or near the rear - 1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 230 mm (9 inches). Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and tail or stop lamp is 100 mm (4 inches), when a single stop and tail lamp is installed on the vertical centerline and the turn signal lamps are red.

well that answers my signals questions lol albeit not the answer i wanted...couldnt find anything regarding the accent lighting. any ideas there?

drizit- thanks for the concern, i did actually think of that and its hard to explain the light but the signals are pretty obvious. ill post a pic of the light shortly although i may get some amber leds and mount them in the hand guards to stay legal