Thread: Motorcycle Advice

My Mood
    Asleep
    Time Online: 7 Mths 1 Day 10 Hrs 40 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Mins 23 Secs

Motorcycle Advice

So I've decided to get my M and I'm looking for some advice on what bike to get. What i'm looking for is something cheap that is easy to learn on but I have no idea what I should be looking at and what I should stay away from. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Will

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 39 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 14 Secs

Motorcycle Advice

Are you looking towards sport bike, super moto or cruiser type of bike? Also your height and weight may be a factor as I know some "bigger" guys aren't comfortable on the "starter" type bikes like ninja 250s and what not. If I could do it all over I started with a cbr600. I would of probably gotten an super moto.

My Mood
    Dead
    Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Days 2 Hrs 39 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 16 Secs

Motorcycle Advice

It is like buying underwear. Thongs are sexy but not everyone likes a permawedgie. You need to go to a good vendor with multiple types/makes and sit on as many as you can until one fits right for you and only you can then decide.

Being a long time horseback hack I only feel "right" on a bike with a similar seat - feet under bum. So the enduro was my best bet and I eventually got settled to a f650gs-twin by BMW afforded by being an insurance write off.

I started with an old 83 gpz550. It was just too heavy. But damn cheap at 500$.

I tried the sport bike- too scared to damage the overpriced plastics and my back killed from leaning forward like that but dam it was sexy.

I tried the foot forward cruiser and kept dropping the damn thing in parking lots of most places. Again damn sexy but horrible to manipulate when needed.

Went super-motard and eventually converted it to big bore weekend warrior dirt bike- too much money dumped into it and never quite right. 400cc mind you

Picked up the BMW and couldn't be happier. Best of all three worlds IMHO. People laugh at me and say stupid things like "going to Alaska?" Whenever they see me on it with the hard panniers... As if its the equivalent of a mall crawling jeep.... My reply "they fit a chicken dinner".... It's a great grocery hauler and super nimble for evading idiots on the road.

A cm450 is a good old all purpose cheap starter bike. Ugly as hell but fully starter confidence boosting.
    I BE GETTING BUILDING ME A REAL JEEP.....

Click here for details.

Time Online: 6 Days 13 Hrs 17 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 32 Secs
    buy a small street legal dirt bike to the feel of riding a bike.cheap on insurance for beginner rider and then move up to a street bike or rice rocket what ever ther both fun.its the insurance that will kill you ontill you have a few yrs under belt then should go down.i pay 1450 a yr for my decker and ive been ridin for 30+ yrs,good luck happy 2 wheeling
    IM A FRAID TO LIFT IT/ CAUSE I MIGHT FALL OUT
    IF YOU LIFT IT ,,,,,IT WILL GET DIRTY

Time Online: 2 Hrs 17 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Get a klr 650. Cheap, tough, reliable and offroad capable

My Mood
    Dead

Motorcycle Advice

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolorange View Post
    Get a klr 650. Cheap, tough, reliable and offroad capable
    So long as your are tall or heavy enough to touch ground with it.

Insurance is a big factor too. I pay 85/mo for my "650" but its really a 798cc displacement and fully protected.... would have cost much more if labelled as its true displacement. Which BMW kind of fixed with the 2013s by calling them 700's.

Insurance on a 400cc is about 60/month. Insurance on a 250cc is about 45/month. Insurance on a 50cc is rock bottom at 25/month.

Obviously I'm a girl with a clear record and over 15 years being licensed (g or m doesn't matter for discounts). But the variances should be roughly the same by cc.

Time Online: 3 Wks 3 Days 8 Hrs 17 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins
    I'm selling an 06 Yamaha FZ600 with 6700km on it. It is in the sport touring class but it has the same engine as a R6 it's good on ins you might want to look at a Suzuki SV650 very fun bike with low ins.

My Mood
    Asleep
    Quote Originally Posted by mudbuster View Post
    buy a small street legal dirt bike to the feel of riding a bike.cheap on insurance for beginner rider and then move up to a street bike or rice rocket what ever ther both fun.its the insurance that will kill you ontill you have a few yrs under belt then should go down.i pay 1450 a yr for my decker and ive been ridin for 30+ yrs,good luck happy 2 wheeling
    With the budget I'm working with on this and a quick look on kijiji I think its my best bet

My Mood
    Asleep
    Ok so I have been window shopping on Kijiji and I have another question for you motorcycle gurus. As a new bike is out of the question (Wife is on Mat leave) is it as difficult to find insurance for an older bike as itis for an older car? I know some company's won't touch a car over 20 years.
    Last edited by Wge; 04-30-2013 at 04:46 AM. Reason: cant type on my phone

My Mood
    Dead

Motorcycle Advice

State Farm doesn't care about age of vehicle.

It's best to ask your provider then base your search on that. Just ask "what's the oldest motorcycle you will insure" nothing more no details then use their reply as your guideline.

Drz400 and KLR series are a great option. Ample parts. Ample modifications. Ample fun.

Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 44 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 49 Secs
    I was just in the same boat...picked up a 2009 DRZ400S....Lots of fun, great starter bike...Great on road and off...

MegaTherion
    '87 YJ - Chev 355, 700-r4, Dana 300, Dana 44s, 4:10s, 4" Super Lift, 35s.

Time Online: 6 Days 13 Hrs 17 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 32 Secs
    dont buy an old bike,,my brother got seriously hurt from a old bike when the throttle stuck on it.he was almost dead when they found him broken hip, arm and leg, 14 hrs of sergery to fix him back and he cant work to this day....buy a small bike farely new and it will hold its value when you want to resale,just my 2 cents worth

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Min 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 41 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaTherion View Post
    I was just in the same boat...picked up a 2009 DRZ400S....Lots of fun, great starter bike...Great on road and off...

MegaTherion
    agreed

Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 18 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 49 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz91yj View Post
    agreed
    x3 my wife had one but we lowered it ..a lot to get it to fit her then the performance sucked it was tall at full ride hight as well and i'm 5'11 210lbs
    it had good power and smooth but i ride a modded wr450 now .." NOT FOR YOU " but a stock wr250 is great and when you get used to it read up on the free mods and put a pipe on it you will smile all over again .. then you will appreciate the extra money you spent ...
    I thought life handed you lemons..... who the phuk is throwing them at my head !!!

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 44 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by U Turn View Post
    you might want to look at a Suzuki SV650 very fun bike with low ins.
    This is the bike Lil recommended & I looked into when I first got my license... it was good advice then and it's still good advice today. I followed her advice and I ended up with the SFV 650 (I would have rather had the SV650, but those weren't available *new* anymore, and the used prices were just a bit too much compared to the SFV 650 price I negotiated). The SV650 is a great starter / intermediate bike, low on insurance, isn't an SS but not a cruiser either.
    Last edited by Engineer Joe; 07-23-2013 at 06:10 PM.
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover

My Mood
    Dead

Motorcycle Advice

The sv650 is a great starter bike that isn't a starter bike. The modern day version of a cm450. Tons on the market used and recent. Cheapcheapcheap. And you never get stuck wanting to upgrade before the season is up.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    I had the first gen SV650S. Two of them actually, we bought a second for my wife (brand new in 2002). Great bike. Lots of low end, handles excellent out of the box, and lots of aftermarket if you want it. Being fairly light it's easy to maneuver too.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 6 Days 58 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 29 Secs

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 22 Hrs 13 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 44 Secs
    Take the training course offered at local colleges that gets your second part beginners before buying. A friend of mine teaches the course and regularly finds a student with a brand new bike that simply isn't cut out for riding and then has to sell it.
    Ron
    '05 GMC Highrider ZR2
    OF4WD#5914