Thread: Front License Plate

My Mood
    Mellow
    Time Online: 2 Days 3 Hrs 40 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs

Front License Plate

In Ontario I believe they require a front and rear license plater correct? If so i just bought a new Jeep that has the AEV bumper and in the middle section of the bumper where the front license plate would normally go, is a hole where the Winch Aluminum hawse fairlead goes. Since i will be getting a winch and will be using this spot, can the License plate be offset on the bumper or does it have to be center placed? Even the Chrysler Dealership guys had no idea where to put the front license plate on the Jeep so they put it in my Front window for now.

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Yes you are correct that in Ontario we require licence plates on the front and rear.....

Taken from Ontario Regulation 628 pursuant to the Highway Traffic Act:

Sec 9

(3) The number plates for a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a motor assisted bicycle, shall be attached to and exposed in a conspicuous position on the front and rear of the motor vehicle. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 628, s. 9 (3).

Sounds to me like it can be anywhere along that AEV bumper, as long as it is at the front of the vehicle. Having it in the window technically doesn't qualify as "the front".

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by ON OFFroad; 05-18-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 21 Hrs 42 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 18 Secs
    You can get something like this http://www.quadratec.com/products/13028_2000.htm. Or I've seen compression clips that clip onto the fairlead.
    Signed with an X

May my YJ RIP
    Building an SAS Xterra...slowly

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 15 Hrs 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 57 Secs

Hawse plate

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoen View Post
    In Ontario I believe they require a front and rear license plater correct? If so i just bought a new Jeep that has the AEV bumper and in the middle section of the bumper where the front license plate would normally go, is a hole where the Winch Aluminum hawse fairlead goes. Since i will be getting a winch and will be using this spot, can the License plate be offset on the bumper or does it have to be center placed? Even the Chrysler Dealership guys had no idea where to put the front license plate on the Jeep so they put it in my Front window for now.

I went with this set-up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plate 1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	485.7 KB 
ID:	90755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plate 2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	90754
    New car. Gotta have a new car to block for the truck.
    Speedy car.
    Speedier than that.

OF4WD # 6821

REDe2ROK LJ

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 23 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 44 Secs
    And do not bend or wrap the plate around anything. Found that out the hard way when try not to block air into an intercooler. No charges, just 2 warnings within 2km of each other!
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 5 Hrs 49 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 20 Secs
    I found out the hard way as well. The plate has to be visible on the front, any where along the front is good. Cannot be modified, molested or blocked. If you are putting a plate protector on it, make sure the numbers/letters and the word ONTARIO are visible. Legally you cannot use coloured plate protectors because Ontario uses different coloured plates for different situations.(eg. dealer, diplomatic, levels of Government, etc).
    I had a plate tore off my car when getting pulled out of a snow bank. I threw it in the windshield, and 2 hrs later while driving through Peterborough, got pulled over for it. $126 fine. That was 12yrs ago. 6yrs ago I got stopped in my truck because the plate protector covered the word ONTARIO. No fine, just a warning, and an explanation of the law.
    I know it was long winded, but I hope it helps.
    '88 Wagoneer, 4.0, Auto, 6.5" longarm lift, Locked rear, on 33x12.5x15. '95 Grand Cherokee,(wifes) 4.0, Auto, 3.5" Tuff Country on 32" BFG M/Ts. '95 YJ, 2.5, AX5, 2" spring & 2" body, riding on 33s. More to come.
    Member of
    4-Lo Offroad, 4Wildrides
    OF4wd #5896

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 10 Hrs 5 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 37 Secs
    I know first hand, u can't place front plate in windshield. I have been also told if u must off set the plate u should try to place it to the drivers side. This allows police to see it as u pass them moving in the opposite direction.
    a learning experience is one of those things that says, you know that thing you just did...don't do that again.

My Mood
    Mellow
    Time Online: 2 Days 3 Hrs 40 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs
    Thanks for the responses, they were a great help. I will look and put the license plate on the front bumper some where today.

Time Online: 2 Days 9 Hrs 26 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Secs
    Any covering (clear/colored etc) of the license plates is illegal from my understanding and the few tickets I got when I lived up north! How the MTO gets away with selling them in house is beyond me!
    Ϣr

My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 1 Day 8 Hrs 59 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs

Front License Plate

I have a mangled license plate hanging from the tip of my Stinger with Tie Wraps on the front of my YJ. I live in NB and I haven't yet been stopped for it.

As long as your license plate is visible on the front of your Jeep while its on the highway you should be legal. While offroad you can probably remove it temporarily.
    just my two cents...take it for what its worth...

95 YJ, RE 4" lift, 33" Procomp Extreme M/T's, Warn M8000 and mud - Trail Queen
    04 Liberty Sport, 2.5" Rusty's lift, ProComp LT245/75R16 AT's & a pair of Hella 700FF Lamps - Highway/Trail Ride & sometimes tow rig

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 2 Hrs 53 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    This is my set up, its spring loaded so it flips up and stays up when you need to access the winch.
    you do need a roller fairlead though

Name:	Photo on 2013-05-24 at 11.47 AM.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	90934

Name:	Photo on 2013-05-24 at 11.48 AM.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	90935
    07 JKU - Jeep Green