Thread: Diamond plate over holes = pass safty?

Time Online: 3 Days 10 Hrs 23 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs

Diamond plate over holes = pass safty?

as i have seen many jeeps with Diamond plated sides i was wondering if someone were to put them over the holes and rust and then go to safety would it pass. or the exact opposite?

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 26 Secs
    Where are these rust holes?

Time Online: 10 Mths 1 Day 5 Hrs 51 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Mins 50 Secs
    In general it would have to be sealed if the holes go into the passenger compartment. it may fail if the shop thinks its struckturally too weak though. specifice would be good.
    OF4WD #7392 88 Romeo

the holes would be all around the side panels, bottom part, under flares and lower fenders, under break lights... etc. as well as the floor under the driver and passenger. now if you make it all one piece it would be stronger would it pass then ?

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 22 Hrs 47 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    like jeeper52 said it if its just body the issue is letting exhaust gasses into the cab, sealing it up is sufficient and most mechanics probably won't bat an eye at it if you do it nicely. Structural whole different ball game
    But our trip was different. It was to be a classic affirmation of everything right and true in the national character. A gross physical salute to the fantastic possibilities of life in this country. But only for those with true grit.

And we are chock full of that, man!

Quote Originally Posted by salad View Post
    like jeeper52 said it if its just body the issue is letting exhaust gasses into the cab, sealing it up is sufficient and most mechanics probably won't bat an eye at it if you do it nicely. Structural whole different ball game
    ya thats what im lookin at .. i wanted to cut off the rusted parts. spray some rust paint put the Diamond Plates on then sealing it up from the other side.

Time Online: 10 Mths 1 Day 5 Hrs 51 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Mins 50 Secs
    At the safety inspection they dont check for correct structure , but having said that if they suspect that the structure is comprimised then they will fail it. there are shops( I think body shops, not sure though) that can check and certify any structure problems, if your really concerned with it.. I think once your done dealing with the rust issues you could use what ever you want to cover them up seal all around the big holes with something like asfault(sp) undercoating the tary type. Or you could use seam sealer, the brush on type, and make it thick enough to squish when putting the panel on. when your done use something like a rubberized undercoating on the inside to prevent anyone from touching the tar and getting dirty from it( it doesnt really harden.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper52 View Post
    At the safety inspection they dont check for correct structure , but having said that if they suspect that the structure is comprimised then they will fail it. there are shops( I think body shops, not sure though) that can check and certify any structure problems, if your really concerned with it.. I think once your done dealing with the rust issues you could use what ever you want to cover them up seal all around the big holes with something like asfault(sp) undercoating the tary type. Or you could use seam sealer, the brush on type, and make it thick enough to squish when putting the panel on. when your done use something like a rubberized undercoating on the inside to prevent anyone from touching the tar and getting dirty from it( it doesnt really harden.
    thanks.
    also any ideas on the frame? if i get those safe T caps and have them welded would they pass safety?

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper52 View Post
    for a safety the structure is most defiantly looked at that is a part of the safety check list, I have worked at a shop that we took a small hammer and checked frames that are prone to rust because if it breaks it our license and livelihood on the line
    91 Renagade
    frame replacement and more http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...91-yj-renagade

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackco View Post
    thanks.
    also any ideas on the frame? if i get those safe T caps and have them welded would they pass safety?
    depending on how many you need it may be cheaper to find a better frame

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 22 Hrs 47 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by H3lzsn1p3r View Post
    for a safety the structure is most defiantly looked at that is a part of the safety check list, I have worked at a shop that we took a small hammer and checked frames that are prone to rust because if it breaks it our license and livelihood on the line
    By "correct structure" I think he means the engineering aspect. Checking for rust is an obvious thing but I believe his point is that frame repairs aren't going to get done up by a professional engineer and have their performance modeled. Like if I rotted out a frame rail on my XJ and slapped on some unibody stiffeners... good enough

alrite thanks for all the help guys ill see what happens