Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at 92 YJ, seller wants 1300, thoughts?

Time Online: 4 Days 15 Hrs 17 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Secs

Looking at 92 YJ, seller wants 1300, thoughts?

92 YJ, 410 and change thoudsand kilometers (in pics). Comes with mint soft top, aftermarket stereo (no soundbar) the sturdier roll cage with padding, nice ish tires and a new spare tire of the same brand and model, a pair of trail lights that work on the front bumper, I think itll need shocks and leafs at this point, but its gonna get body and susp lift so im not concerned, ax-15 tranny with np-231 t-case, runs awesome, starts right up and runs strong, no clicking in the lifters and valves, could use new gaskets and a de greasing, but it runs better than my 93 Cherokee with 250 and change miles (not kilometers, miles), needs a new tailpipe from muffler back as there currently is none, but theres a new muffler and pipes from the catalytic converter, nice body, not much rust AT ALL, new floor pans that were coated in sealant stuff, aluminum rad, original interior carpet, good seats with a few stains but with covers, nice rear bench, half doors, some surface rust in the door jams on the tub, drives nice, shifts well, body lines are good and match, frame is solid, all around a good rig for 1300. Any thoughts/questions??? Thanx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0360.JPG   IMG_0361.JPG   IMG_0368.JPG   IMG_0398.JPG   IMG_0399.JPG  

IMG_0400.JPG   IMG_0401.JPG   IMG_0402.JPG   IMG_0403.JPG   IMG_0404.JPG  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0405.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	90996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0406.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	90997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0407.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	90998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0408.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	212.0 KB 
ID:	90999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0409.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	91000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0411.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	91001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0412.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	314.1 KB 
ID:	91002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0413.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	91003Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0414.JPG 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	91004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0415.JPG 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	91005

Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 2 Days 10 Hrs 26 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 9 Secs
    Me and sugar say... Don't buy it. For 1300 c'mon your buying rust. Like really, go out and you can get a good tj. Better all around. And your Cherokee runs fine man iv been there and seen it. That's how a 4.0 with that many KM sounds like sometimes when cold.

I cant find a tj for 1300, and for 1300 a tj will need work, wont it? The Cherokee runs rough compared to this, and the Cherokee smokes pretty good when fully warmed up because of the catalytic converter. This motor runs better believe me. And matt, when I first mentioned it to you you said buy it, it seems like a good rif if you can score it for 900 etc, and its not very rusty at all. Theres minimal rust on the body, and just flakey surface rust on the undercarriage, nothing badly structural. its mechanically and physically sound. I can buy it and part it out if worst comes to worst, I mean tires are 400, half doors are 300, drivetrain including axles and everything is worth 450 maybe 500, tub is worth something, soft top is 250 maybe three, all the interior stuff (carpet, seats, bench) has gotta get like 200. I think its worth it no matter what. I don't think that for 1300 im buying rust. your first yj was bad lol and your second is still sitting in that lot.

Ill read all that when I get home...

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 5 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by pippilongstocking View Post
    Me and sugar say... Don't buy it. For 1300 c'mon your buying rust. Like really, go out and you can get a good tj.
    This 100%. Don't waste your money on a yj with 400+thousand km on it.

TJ for that cash is an easy purchase.
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

Quote Originally Posted by Jak Flash View Post
    This 100%. Don't waste your money on a yj with 400+thousand km on it.

TJ for that cash is an easy purchase.
    Too late he already bought it

It runs great though, no problems whatsoever, runs strong too, and good compression in the cylinders too. It will most likely get an engine swap however, or an overhaul at least, but it runs so ill ill do for now is gaskets and new bolts since most of the bolts are torque to yield if im not mistaken

Someone try and find me a tj with a 4l that's in running, almost certifiable condition because I have looked high and low on kijiji all throughout Ontario, autrtrader all throughout Ontario, and craigslist and even the classifieds here and I cant find anything nice enough that still needs work. parts are more expensive for tjs like lift kits and anything model specific, so yj for now!

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonjeep101 View Post
    It runs great though, no problems whatsoever, runs strong too, and good compression in the cylinders too. It will most likely get an engine swap however, or an overhaul at least, but it runs so ill ill do for now is gaskets and new bolts since most of the bolts are torque to yield if im not mistaken
    Dude you have no idea if the compression is good or not. Your kinda going over board now. You would need a compression test to see if it's fine or maybe a test drive but even still.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 9 Hrs 1 Min 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    Only problem with YJ's of this age is that 99.9% of the bolts will be seized with very little hope of getting them loose without a torch making any modifications very dificult, not impossible but a lot more work than something newer.

You need to get all that crud off of the frame and find any soft spots (and there will be soft spots). If you want to do any work to this jeep you need to make sure the frame isn't swiss cheese first. Check all of the spring mounts and around the steering box first.
    OF4WD 5435
    2dr - 2010 - Rubicon
    Cake bakers united

I did drive it and I did do a compression test and its all green lights!!! Shifts well, no bogging or clicking, runs strong, rpms pick up rapidly, its all green lights for the driveline and transaxle!

Yea I realize that, I think pippylongstockings (matt1292 or whatever the numbers are) had that problem with is first build and both him and I found bolts that were seized. Ill do my best though, I bought it for a project and that's part of it. I was tapping away at the frame for nearly 45 minutes with a pick hammer, the hammer with one sharp point at one end, and everything seemed to be fairly solid on the top, bottom, side and side on both rails, so I was pretty satisfied with that as it was my largest fear. When I do start my build, ill get the frame on its own, sandblast it on the outside and get it to bare metal, fix any problemspots like soft spots or cheesy spots, then apoxe prime it, spraypaint it, and seal it, and put in some venthole caps so my frame can outlast the vehicle. That's my plan with the frame. I checked around the steering box, everythings seems fair.

Time Online: 10 Mths 1 Day 5 Hrs 51 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Mins 46 Secs
    One thing I found on my yj was the bolts from the tub mounts like to sieze up. but where they go up they put a bump in the sheetmetal. All you have to do is look for them. and take a 1 inch hole saw and drill a hole right at the tip. ( you can cover it with the same rubber plugs that they used at the factory, or cross canada can supply them)o nce you have the hole you can apply heat , or spray the heck out of it. I wish I would have thought of this before taking mine out. All is good if you can keep the weld nuts from breaking.. I did do the last one like this. the nut was pretty clean so I set the mig to weld on the nut away from the bolt threads, the heat was enough to break the bond between the two.. I like yjs. theyre different looking than the run of the mill ttjs!! dont let anybody rag on you for it. they have history.
    Last edited by jeeper52; 05-26-2013 at 09:25 PM.
    OF4WD #7392 88 Romeo

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper52 View Post
    One thing I found on my yj was the bolts from the tub mounts like to sieze up. but where they go up they put a bump in the sheetmetal. All you have to do is look for them. and take a 1 inch hole saw and drill a hole right at the tip. ( you can cover it with the same rubber plugs that they used at the factory, or cross canada can supply them)o nce you have the hole you can apply heat , or spray the heck out of it. I wish I would have thought of this before taking mine out. All is good if you can keep the weld nuts from breaking.. I did do the last one like this. the nut was pretty clean so I set the mig to weld on the nut away from the bolt threads, the heat was enough to break the bond between the two.. I like yjs. theyre different looking than the run of the mill ttjs!! dont let anybody rag on you for it. they have history.
    Thanks jeeper ill keep it in mind!!!! That's what I think too, theyre different looking to an extent and I like that, and they are just tjs but simpler, much simpler.

Well I don't know what happened, but some dude came by the sellers house and saw the for sale sign on the windshield and offered the guy 1700 for it and he sold it on me, guess I'll keep looking. Darn.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 5 Secs
    ^ blessing in disguise. Trust me you will thankful in the future.

Well I don't know what happened, but some dude came by the sellers house and saw the for sale sign on the windshield and offered the guy 1700 for it and he sold it on me, guess I'll keep looking. Darn.
    Uhm dude... You told me you had it already... Js....

Quote Originally Posted by Jak Flash View Post
    ^ blessing in disguise. Trust me you will thankful in the future.
    And yes pretty much jak, wish that happened to me on my first YJ lol

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 44 Secs
    Find that fool... I have a bridge for sale!
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover