Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: 2002 Ford explorer 4.0 v6 - hard to find?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Burlington, ON
    Posts
    1,409
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 2 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 11 Secs
    Rep Power
    7

    2002 Ford explorer 4.0 v6 - hard to find?

    The engine in my brothers ford explorer blew up the other day, so he bought my car and now said he'd give me his explorer too. It's a 2002 4dr with the 4.0 v6. My question is, is this engine hard to find? Need to get this truck up and running as my dad only has a company truck with limited personal use so need the explorer fixed by the 15th of June by the lattest to bring stuff to the cottage and be able
    To drive around freely lol.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Kitchener, ON
    Posts
    58
    Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 36 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 35 Secs
    Rep Power
    7
    I was on kijiji the other day and there was a few engines that would works I was looking for a auto transmission. So can't. Be too rqre

    Quote Originally Posted by pippilongstocking View Post
    The engine in my brothers ford explorer blew up the other day, so he bought my car and now said he'd give me his explorer too. It's a 2002 4dr with the 4.0 v6. My question is, is this engine hard to find? Need to get this truck up and running as my dad only has a company truck with limited personal use so need the explorer fixed by the 15th of June by the lattest to bring stuff to the cottage and be able
    To drive around freely lol.
    Thanks

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Burlington, ON
    Posts
    1,409
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 2 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 11 Secs
    Rep Power
    7
    Oh sweet. Was just on there and didn't find any. Needs to be around the Hamilton area. Like the truck is mint just the engine is fawked.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    edmonton alberta
    Posts
    2,277
    Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 1 Min 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 51 Secs
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by pippilongstocking View Post
    The engine in my brothers ford explorer blew up the other day, so he bought my car and now said he'd give me his explorer too. It's a 2002 4dr with the 4.0 v6. My question is, is this engine hard to find? Need to get this truck up and running as my dad only has a company truck with limited personal use so need the explorer fixed by the 15th of June by the lattest to bring stuff to the cottage and be able
    To drive around freely lol.
    Thanks
    kenny u pull has a bunch of explorers and most have been hit sure you could find a motor there and i know the pick&save has newer ones just down the road ..
    I thought life handed you lemons..... who the phuk is throwing them at my head !!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Burlington, ON
    Posts
    1,409
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 2 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 11 Secs
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D.A. View Post
    kenny u pull has a bunch of explorers and most have been hit sure you could find a motor there and i know the pick&save has newer ones just down the road ..
    Sweet. Heading there tomorrow an if not there then pick n save. After I find a motor it's just getting it out, home and installed LOL

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    edmonton alberta
    Posts
    2,277
    Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 1 Min 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 51 Secs
    Rep Power
    12
    they have rolling stands for pulling engines at both places . getting it home ..i could toss it in my truck, after that lol your prob !!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Burlington, ON
    Posts
    1,409
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 2 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 11 Secs
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D.A. View Post
    they have rolling stands for pulling engines at both places . getting it home ..i could toss it in my truck, after that lol your prob !!
    Bwahaha ya install I don't think should be too much of a prob. Ill text ya or something once I know what's going on. Thanks dude!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    edmonton alberta
    Posts
    2,277
    Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 1 Min 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 51 Secs
    Rep Power
    12
    no prob just hurry i'm almost ready to leave maybe a week left

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Burlington, ON
    Posts
    1,409
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 2 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 11 Secs
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D.A. View Post
    no prob just hurry i'm almost ready to leave maybe a week left
    Okay no prob, if we can't use my dads truck then ill text you.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Burlington, ON
    Posts
    1,409
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 2 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 11 Secs
    Rep Power
    7
    Okay so found an engine, only thing is it's out of a 2000 and mine is 2002. Will the 2000 v6 fit In my 2002?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    edmonton alberta
    Posts
    2,277
    Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 1 Min 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 51 Secs
    Rep Power
    12
    i only see 2 4.0L engines for all explorers OHV and SOHC

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Burlington, ON
    Posts
    1,409
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 2 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 11 Secs
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D.A. View Post
    i only see 2 4.0L engines for all explorers OHV and SOHC
    The one I'm looking at and one in the truck are SOHC

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Burlington, ON
    Posts
    1,409
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 2 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 11 Secs
    Rep Power
    7
    Now may not be a very good idea but my brother told me it was the connecting rod that broke but hasn't gone threw the block. Could I just replace tht one piston and rod?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Windsor,On
    Posts
    911
    Time Online: 10 Mths 1 Day 5 Hrs 51 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Mins 50 Secs
    Rep Power
    5
    technically yes, unless there is colateral damage, ie clyinder wall, damaged crank or other internal carnage.If thats you plan then inspection is critical. even if there is no short term damage there maybe circumstances that could cost some life like dislodged metal particles. Just clean really well and inpect everything you can see. You can also take a look at your bearings while your in there, and the cylinders when the head is off.
    OF4WD #7392 88 Romeo

  15. #15
    Stickybongsmoking's Avatar
    Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    Posts
    4,933
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Rep Power
    28
    Absolutely expect collateral damage from a rod breaking. You will have to disassemble the entire engine to thoroughly inspect for damage. At this point, the engine is completely torn down so reassembling without a rebuild seems kind of silly.

    If you are looking for a long term solution and insist on having a fresh engine, then consider rebuilding if the long block is even usable or using your engine as a core for a rebuilt long block.

    BUT from a monetary standpoint, you are better off buying a used engine with a warranty. The likelyhood of a used engine in good running condition outlasting the remaining useful life of an 11 year old Ford Explorer is high.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687


    1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

    "Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Burlington, ON
    Posts
    1,409
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 2 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 11 Secs
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    Absolutely expect collateral damage from a rod breaking. You will have to disassemble the entire engine to thoroughly inspect for damage. At this point, the engine is completely torn down so reassembling without a rebuild seems kind of silly.

    If you are looking for a long term solution and insist on having a fresh engine, then consider rebuilding if the long block is even usable or using your engine as a core for a rebuilt long block.

    BUT from a monetary standpoint, you are better off buying a used engine with a warranty. The likelyhood of a used engine in good running condition outlasting the remaining useful life of an 11 year old Ford Explorer is high.
    Your totally right dude. The smarter option is to find a good motor and swap it in. I found one at a wreckers with 90 000km for 600$ and a 1 year warranty so we will be going that route. Hoping to have it in within the next 2 weeks. Like the truck is in pretty damn good shape and we hate to see it go so 600$ in our eyes seems fair.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •