Thread: Offroad only vehicle insurance

Time Online: 2 Wks 3 Days 23 Hrs 8 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 28 Secs

Offroad only vehicle insurance

*Edit; should probably be posted in "Ask an Insurance Broker" section*
    I apologize in advance if this has been covered already, I did a search and am not able to find quite what I am looking for. I have also contacted my current insurance company as well as other companies such as Haggerty and nobody is willing to give insurance for offroad applications, or even to a modified vehicle in many cases.
    Here is my dilemma; my jeep has not been licensed for the road, insured, or plated for about 5 years now. It now sits on 42" tires and is far from road being worthy. I'm not really looking to make it street-legal but at the same time I don't want to transfer the title to an "ATV" just in case I do decide I want to drive it on the street someday. I am more looking for insurance to protect the large investment I now have into my jeep for things like fire, theft, or if I were to get into an accident while trailering it.
    Furthermore, I was pulled over by 2 OPP officers on ATVs last summer while riding the trails in Ardbeg. They did not ticket me but gave me a hard time because my jeep didn't have insurance. I explained to them that my insurance company would not give me insurance.
    Lastly, I assume that if I or one of my passengers was injured while offroading, I would be the one bending over and paying the medical bills.
    I know this is a lot to swallow, but is there any type of insurance available to cover some or all of this?
    Any help is appreciated, thx, Jay.
    Last edited by XJay Lauzon; 06-05-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    '90 XJ-buggy, 60/14, 350, 43's

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    I will try to help with the parts that I can, but I would suggest for the rest, you post in the "ask an insurance broker" forum.....

You are correct in that you most definitely need an insurance liability policy to wheel anywhere outside of your own property that you occupy. The fines for failure to do so, can range from $325.00 up to $5000.00 depending on where you are stopped.

You need a plate on the rig. Period. You must choose to either keep it plated for the road (I wouldn't recommend this judging by the state of modification the vehicle is in as you describe), or you need to green plate it (off road vehicle).

Other than that, I believe there are a NUMBER of threads covering the woes of trying to find insurance for off road vehicles. Try the insurance forum as I stated above.

Hope this helps!
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Mins 56 Secs
    Associated question...how does a vehicle originally intended as an on-road vehicle that uses a standard vehicle licence plate become registered as an ORV and make it able to have a "green plate"?
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

Good question!

You need to look at how an Off Road Vehicle is defined in the Act, as well as in the Regulation.

From the Off Road Vehicles Act:

“off-road vehicle” means a vehicle propelled or driven otherwise than by muscular power or wind and designed to travel,

(a) on not more than three wheels, or

(b) on more than three wheels and being of a prescribed class of vehicle; (“véhicule tout terrain”)

Then, you must go to the Regulation: Ontario Regulation 863 pursuant to the Off Road Vehicles Act

3. For the purposes of the definition of “off-road vehicle” in section 1 of the Act, the following classes of vehicles are prescribed:

1. Dune buggies.

1.1 Vehicles designed for use on all terrains, commonly known as all-terrain vehicles, that have steering handlebars and a seat that is designed to be straddled by the driver.

1.2 Vehicles designed for utility applications or uses on all terrains that have four or more wheels and a seat that is not designed to be straddled by the driver.

2. Suzukis, Model Numbers LT125D, LT50E, LT125E, LT185E, LT250EF and LT250EFF.

3. Hondas, Model Numbers FL250 series and TRX200.

4. Yamahas, Model Number YFM 200N. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 863, s. 3; O. Reg. 317/03, s. 1.

The vehicles you are asking about, would definitely fall into this somewhat vague definition. If you read further, many of the modded vehicles we use which are beyond streetable, could fall into the definition of a "dune buggy"

1. In this Regulation,

“dune buggy” means a self-propelled vehicle with four or more wheels that has been manufactured or modified for off-road use but does not include an amphibious vehicle with six or more wheels

This allows them to fall under the definition of an "Off Road Vehicle", and therefore entitled to have an "Off Road Vehicle" plate. Be aware though, that in classifying your rig as an ORV comes with some other responsibilities: It can no longer be operated on any highway (except in the case of an ATV where it is allowed), and you must wear a helmet to operate it.

I hope this answers your question!

Cheers
    Last edited by ON OFFroad; 06-05-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Time Online: 1 Mth 5 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 54 Secs
    Could one have a dual classified vehicle ? And have both a Green Plate, and a Blue Plate ? Thinking that maybe a separate Off Road insurance policy of some sorts could make up where the on road policy would not cover...

Re: Offroad only vehicle insurance

Again, I can't answer to your insurance question. Feel free to inquire in the "ask an insurance broker" forum.

To answer your question regarding dual plating, no you can't have both.

Time Online: 10 Mths 1 Day 5 Hrs 51 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Mins 46 Secs
    never heard of blue plates. What are they for?
    OF4WD #7392 88 Romeo

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Mins 56 Secs

Offroad only vehicle insurance

^ I will jump in and answer this on behalf of the officer to help out during his busiest time of the year.

"Blue" plates refer to the colour of the lettering on the plates used on the average street driven vehicle. Basically standard plates as issues by the MTO for passenger vehicles.

"Black" plates would be the black lettered plates that you find on commercial and "non passenger" vehicles such as pickups and cargo vans.

"Green" plates are found on ATVs, ORVs, etc. basically non-street driven, off road only vehicles. These vehicles are prohibited on roads unless a local bylaw specifically permits them to use (typically in the bylaw) specified roads.

These names for plates might not be the correct terminology as used by the MTO, but they have become the common terms used by many people.

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 25 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    Nevermind...
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"