Thread: Painting aluminum rims

Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 10 Hrs 5 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 50 Secs

Painting aluminum rims

Ok I have had my rims for a few years now and unfortunately I do not store the jeep inside during winter months which has led to oxidization.
    So with that said I need to freshen them up a bit I would like t paint them black. What I need to know is there any prep work besides the usual sanding and cleaning I need to do before I paint.

Do I just scuff up the surface and prime and paint as you would with steel rims or is there another method / primer that would work better with aluminum.

Thanks for your help
    2005 Rubicon 35 "Baja MTZ Mickey Thompson Tires with M/T Polished Classic Lock Style rims, 8000lb Warn Winch,Safari Snorkle, Fabtech 6" longarm.

Time Online: 2 Days 3 Hrs 22 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs
    I did mine with duplicolor rim pain and toped it off with the clear coat worked just fine used a drill with a mandrel bit did a qwick job of most of the rim got pics and a rone of details if ya wana know more

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Time Online: 8 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 4 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 31 Secs
    Sandblast and powdercoat! Cheaper than you think it is. Have done 2 sets of rims for my 2500HD and winter drove them, plowed snow, etc. Tough and looks good.
    03 Rubicon with stuff to make it gooder

"Bite my Shiny Metal ass!"

Retread #19

Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 10 Hrs 5 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 50 Secs
    Thanks for the info, I thought of powdercoat but have heard it is hard to touch up if and when it chips off from rock rash.
    brazeau if you could send me some pics that would be great. I think this is the way I will go.

Thanks for the help