Thread: switching steering wheel/positioning

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 4 Days 21 Hrs 59 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 36 Secs

switching steering wheel/positioning

Just switched steering columns. Now the steering wheel is out.

Is it just a matter of pulling the wheel off and repositioning it?

Is it a spline shaft or key?

Time Online: 5 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 23 Hrs 16 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Mins 35 Secs
    I'm 99% sure you cannot reposition at the wheel....it's splined but I think that there is a double spline to locate....plus I don't think the horn button switch lines up

but not 100%

but more importantly....does it start???????

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 5 Hrs 49 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 20 Secs
    Not sure what column you have, but, some columns are evenly splined, and it is possible to reposition the steering wheel. I have done this on a few different vehicles. Before you do, make sure your box is centered. Then pull your wheel. if there is not a double spline, then it can be repositioned. as for the horn button switch, it should be movable to a few degrees. but it will limit how much you can adjust the wheel.
    '88 Wagoneer, 4.0, Auto, 6.5" longarm lift, Locked rear, on 33x12.5x15. '95 Grand Cherokee,(wifes) 4.0, Auto, 3.5" Tuff Country on 32" BFG M/Ts. '95 YJ, 2.5, AX5, 2" spring & 2" body, riding on 33s. More to come.
    Member of
    4-Lo Offroad, 4Wildrides
    OF4wd #5896

Quote Originally Posted by Pav1 View Post
    but more importantly....does it start???????
    The short answer - yes. But it wasn't the column. Will explain in my other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Warlock View Post
    Not sure what column you have, but, some columns are evenly splined, and it is possible to reposition the steering wheel. I have done this on a few different vehicles. Before you do, make sure your box is centered. Then pull your wheel. if there is not a double spline, then it can be repositioned. as for the horn button switch, it should be movable to a few degrees. but it will limit how much you can adjust the wheel.
    Thanks, they are cj columns. Swapped to tilt. Doesn't sound like I'M getting lucky on this, we'll see.

My Mood
    Daring
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 12 Hrs 50 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 25 Secs
    There are flat spots and splines. If they don't line up, you can't get the bolts back in to tighten everything up. (Went through it last night).
    My guess is your steering wheel is 1/4 turn off center?
    93 YJ - Stock 2.5L inline 4, 4" Rough Country Lift, 1.5" Shackles, 33" BFG's, SYE yet to be installed, Raptor Liner Sprayed, CB, Stereo that goes BooM, Aussie locker front, XJ solid shafts, tube fenders by Tubular Metalworx, 8500lb winch, Garvin swing away tire carrier and clearly far too much time on my hands. No roof, no doors and two screaming kids in the back.

Yeah going to have to remove the sterring shaft and starT over. Should have marked evrything when I removed it. My borgeson steering shaft which should have been the easiest to remOve came with ceramic set screws. They must be ceramic as soon as I touched them with allen key they snapped off. 2 of them. = 1 mangled steering column, a lot of heat, pb blaster, drilling and tapping and not to mention all the cursing. And some relief with a sawsall.

Make sure you center the steering box first and check the front tires...if they don't point forward, you may have to adjust the draglink.

Then center up the steering wheels once the steering box is centered

Ok. Not following. Why do I have to center the steering box?

And what do you mean by centre steering box? Making sure wheels are straight.

I believe my whole problem is when I put the steering shaft u joint on the column shaft I didn'( centre it as I put the joint on outside the jeep.

If I pull the shaft (don't bother) off the column and centre th wheel. Should'nt I be able to get it close that way?

My Mood
    Daring
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 12 Hrs 50 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 25 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by 84cj7 View Post

If I pull the shaft (don't bother) off the column and centre th wheel. Should'nt I be able to get it close that way?
    I don't think so. The shaft will want to connect in only one way as there are flat spots between the splines on the joint that have to line up.
    Now, what I was watching, was putting a YJ column in a CJ so the original CJ colum may differ but I don't think so.

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 5 Hrs 49 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 20 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by 84cj7 View Post
    Ok. Not following. Why do I have to center the steering box?

And what do you mean by centre steering box? Making sure wheels are straight.

I believe my whole problem is when I put the steering shaft u joint on the column shaft I didn'( centre it as I put the joint on outside the jeep.

To center the box, you turn the wheel all the way to the left. Then turn it all the way to the right, counting the revolutions it takes to get there. Turn it back to the left half the number of revolutions. Box is now center. See where your steering wheel sits, and where your tires point. From this point you can pull the wheel and reposition it straight. Also check your wheels to make sure they are straight. If not, adjust your Drag link to straighten them up.
    Just did this exact thing on my XJ after changing the steering box and column.

^ what he said....LOL....

now does the aftermarket only go on one way or is it splined???

one way, change the wheel if it's off after centering the box.....splined, you need to take off the steering shaft to straighten the steering wheel if it's off...

hope that made sense...if not call me.