Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Operation: You're my boy Blue!

My Mood
    Fine
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 2 Days 18 Hrs 3 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 16 Secs

Operation: You're my boy Blue!

Details to follow, and ilovemyjeep has a bunch of pics from night one. Tons of props to Curt for lending the tools, space and sweat.

It all started with the Redneck Tuxedo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307510374.580521.jpg  
    Last edited by Coley; 06-08-2011 at 03:21 AM.
    Coley - 2010 JKU - Deep Water Blue
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ColeyLikesBacon

My Mood
    Fine
    Mitch Martin: True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a goddamn magic show ready to double team your girlfriend...

Coley: And what my friend Mitch here is trying to say is that true love is blind - and my JK needed a lift.

So, we started with a 2010 JK Sahara Unlimited, and I've been collecting parts for the last 4 months, coaching high school rowing, working a day job, and trying to put in as many hours as possible in Curt's garage because... well... he's got the space, the tools and seems to know how to build some crazy shit. Oh, and there's always room for more beer in the fridge.

Tonight started with a Dana 44 rear axle out of a Rubicon that I picked up from Jim@Rockspyder. Low mileage, factory e-locker that I had him re-gear to 5.13. Transfered the brakes over from the Sahara axle, and slid it into place with a 2.5" Teraflex coil lift. Rubicon shocks that I picked up off another Jeepkings member in the Hammer, and Teraflex's shock extenders. JKS rear track bar to line things up in the end. Then proceeded to remove the stock tire carrier because 1) it's ugly with no tire installed, and 2) the new Pitbull 35" Radial Rocker just doesn't fit on there. It's too big and way too heavy. I put those on last Thursday, mounted on AEV Savegre wheels.

All-in, I think we did alright for a 5 hour night.

Tomorrow night brings the lift to the front-end, where I'm hoping to gain about 3.5", Currie lower control arms, JKS track bar there too.

Then depending on how much time is left... there's JKS track bar axle braces to weld-on front and rear; AEV C-Gussets, and lower control arm skids. Then Big Blue is going to get a red belly courtesy of a full River Raider Off Road skid set, done up in a lovely shade of International Harvester, and some Smilin' Bob's Breather Hose Extensions for good measure.

I know I'm missing some stuff... there'a a gauge & switch pod going over top of the stock stereo, with dual Aeroforce Interceptor gauges, and switches for the rear locker and night-lights, and a Tuffy Security Deck for the back... possibly pulling the rear seats to make room for the spare.

Waited too long to get all this done. Can't wait to wheel it once I get a stag and couple weddings out of the way the next few weeks.
    Last edited by Coley; 06-08-2011 at 03:08 AM.

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 58 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 40 Secs
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

My Mood
    Fine
    Basically stock, I started last year with some stock wheels and tires off a Rubicon. Added some windshield lights and wheeled it like that last summer, along with moving the trailer around the yard at the club

End of the summer I added some MBRP rock rails, and a Titan winch mounted on TMR's stubby JK bumper - a great upgrade after I won the TJ rock rails at CampNL

My Mood
    Fine
    Part 1 from tonight: out with the old. Sahara D44 with limited slip is in the for sale section. Only 25,000 kms

Working away at getting the new one in. Yes Jim, I know that there's still No Oil in there. I had to crack the cover to check out your work. Awesome pattern on the new 5.13's, and an awesome deal from Rockspyder too.
    note: those are NOT instructions on the floor. That's an illustrated recipe for chicken curry that my GF wanted to share with Michelle. I swear.

Suffice to say, my GF loves the new rubber. She's been bugging me to lift this thing since our first time wheeling in Sudbury last summer
    Last edited by Coley; 06-08-2011 at 03:23 AM.

Time Online: 4 Mths 1 Wk 11 Hrs 32 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 28 Secs

You're my boy, Blue!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003OSC_Patrick_Cranshaw_002.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	69636

Good stuff Coley,
    looking forward to seeing all the hard work...

Billy

My Mood
    Devilish
    Time Online: 7 Mths 2 Wks 1 Hr 28 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 18 Mins 25 Secs
    Too tired to post last night, here's a few! Still can't believe how fast that axle swap went;

Lift and new track bar

Watching in anticipation as axle goes under lol

Shocks and brakes to complete round 1

My Mood
    Devilish
    Time Online: 7 Mths 2 Wks 1 Hr 28 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 18 Mins 25 Secs
    Parts for tonights Romp
    Last edited by Ilovemyjeep; 06-08-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Gotta have a cheers :)

My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovemyjeep View Post
    Still can't believe how fast that axle swap went
    Had to rush.... Curt kept eyeing my coil isolators...had to get them reinstalled ASAP.

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 1 Wk 16 Hrs 19 Mins 26 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 37 Secs
    Looks considerably different from the last time I seen it. Nice work

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 12 Hrs 46 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 30 Secs
    Looks awesome Coley! Both our Blue JK's have grown up a lot in the past year!! Can't wait to see it this summer We will have to get a awesome photo!
    Jenna
    2009 Wrangler 2 Door
    Deep Water Blue
    OF4WD # 6031

My Mood
    Fine
    It's done. We're out celebrating with wings. Pics later.

My Mood
    Fine
    So last night finished off part I of the build. Springs, shocks, trackbar and new adjustable lower control arms. A few pics of the finished product here. Michelle has more of the in-progress pics.

Reprogrammed the computer for the new 5.13's in the rear, still need to double check the speedo with a decent GPS (I don't trust iPhone). Blue now drives like a dream on the 35's, dropping to 4th gear as low as 60km/hr in light traffic. Lift if solid, no rattles, no bump steer, no death wobble, no ESP/ABS flashing lights. Coley is one happy camper.
    Last edited by Coley; 06-09-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Time Online: 4 Days 10 Hrs 36 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 21 Secs
    you monster! Very Nice!
    Where are the offroad lights I remember you had a pair, or I am wrong? You didn't mention how you regeared your front diff or is front DS is disconnected for now.
    Last edited by greentea; 06-09-2011 at 12:18 PM.

My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by greentea View Post
    you monster! Very Nice!
    Where are the offroad lights I remember you had a pair, or I am wrong?
    The wiring on the IPF's was too tight. Pulled it all to rewire correctly, and wasn't crazy about the windshield mounts. Going to try to fab something up on the bumper or winch fairlead.

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

You didn't mention how you regeared your front diff or is front DS is disconnected for now.
    Was told that as long as I keep it in 2wd I can drive it with mismatched gears. (read a minor horror story from the US where an installer accidentally put 5.38's in the rear diff and 5.13 in the front and it apparently didn't drive too well in 4wd)

Appointment tomorrow at Rockspyder to get my front gears done. That'll get me on the trails for now. Still need to mount up the skid plates and get the braces and gussets welded next week hopefully. Only biggie left to source is a decent external sleeve for the D30 up front.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 5 Hrs 36 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 49 Secs
    Lookin good bud!
    BAJA member
    O.F.4.W.D #5978
    97 TJ 5.0L V8 NV3550 231/300 done by Staangs fab!
    Rubicon front 44 rear 44 detoit locker 4.88's 37" Baja Claws Rock Krawler long arms

Time Online: 4 Days 10 Hrs 36 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 21 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Coley View Post
    Appointment tomorrow at Rockspyder to get my front gears done. That'll get me on the trails for now. Still need to mount up the skid plates and get the braces and gussets welded next week hopefully. Only biggie left to source is a decent external sleeve for the D30 up front.
    Seriously, a good time to install a true trac to save on labor charges. Jim regeared my D30 and installed a truetrac--I chose the truetrac based on many positive reviews. It is like day and night when go off road, and on paved road only makes steering 1% heavier, you won't feel it after drive for a day. With both partially "locked" front and rear diff. I am amazed by what I could do with 31"s. Of course the front quick disco'es are also important unless I use ARB air lockers. Well, my 2 cents.

My Mood
    Fine
    Seriously, a good time to install a true trac to save on labor charges. Jim regeared my D30 and installed a truetrac--I chose the truetrac based on many positive reviews. It is like day and night when go off road, and on paved road only makes steering 1% heavier, you won't feel it after drive for a day. With both partially "locked" front and rear diff. I am amazed by what I could do with 31"s. Of course the front quick disco'es are also important unless I use ARB air lockers. Well, my 2 cents.
    Yeah, Jim tried to sell me on a beefed up D30 he had sitting on the floor with a Yukon Zip Locker already done-up. I'm going to wheel it like this for a bit... if it feels like the D30 can handle a locker and 35's I might toss in a little spider replacement myself.

Time Online: 2 Days 21 Hrs 9 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs
    That four door looks badass now Coley! The red stuff you have to protect it will make it pop too. Very nice...
    83 J10. 258/T5/208. 44/Corp 20

My Mood
    Fine
    River Raider Off Road skid plated 92% installed last night. Still need to drill a few holes for the remaining bolts to finish the job. Pics to follow once my back straightens out.