Thread: The JK "CF" Project

Time Online: 4 Days 19 Hrs 29 Mins 28 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 23 Secs

The JK "CF" Project

Hello everybody, Wiltron here, and I finally decided to show off all my hard work (so far) with my 2012 JK Rubicon.

Here's a list of what was done:

• 2" Budget Boost - WIP PICTURES ADDED TO THE GALLERY
    • 1" Driver side seat riser
    • License plate relocation (Center of spare tire)
    • Rugged Ridge Tail lamp grill guards installed
    • Carpet tear out and heat/sound goop removed - The latter part was hell to do..
    • Factory subwoofer delete, factory trim delete
    • Bed liner applied all over the place (including in my mouth.. by accident)
    • Front Grill painted and bed lined
    • Custom Made Front Grill metal mesh / bug screen installed
    • Dually D2s wired and installed on Windshield brackets (In the 2nd picture of the album below, you can see the switch I mounted for these)
    • Wireloomed almost everything
    • Under hood insulation removed (No Pictures)
    • General maintenance and K&N Install (No Pictures)
    • Wheel's painted and bed lined
    • Accessories and their cases installed in various places
    • Installed SmittyBilt GEAR Overhead Console - Pictures Soon
    • Installed SmittyBilt GEAR Tailgate Cover - Pictures soon

Obligatory high-res picture gallery here: Jeep Stuff

Work-In-Progress and Info about the individual projects:

Most of the work was all labour, and very cheap on parts when I needed them. I bought some grade 10 extra long bolts from a friend for the seat riser, and some grade 8 steel spacers from Brafasco, each were under $5. The bed liner used was Rustoleum bed liner in a can. Very forgiving stuff, if you spray too heavy you can dab it up our spread it out with your finger and it dries natural. Seven cans in total, and I have roughly half a can left, each was $10. This stuff is NOT forgiving on your skin - paint thinner refused to remove it from my finger nails. I had to carefully use a belt sander with some very fine grit paper to get this stuff off - WEAR GLOVES.

The windshield brackets are poison spider, $120 - Straight forward installation, just use blue lock tight on the bolts afterwards. I put a thin layer of insulation, which is rubber with 2-sided 3M tape on one side, and just bolted through it. This helps reduce vibrations as well as prevent metal on metal contact friction/damage. You can use a layer of silicone on the back of the plate too, for the same effect.
    The licence plate kit was Rugged Ridge, $90 - Horrible installation; the kit is designed for Australian (or very wide) plates. Had to customize the hardware to get it to work, and use a metal licence plate bracket to hold it all together.

I will be continuously updating this thread as I keep working on my Heep. Any questions about the work in progress, the jobs done, or whatever, feel free to ask!

If you're wondering what "CF" stands for, it means Cheap F*cker because all the work I've done I found the cheapest but best solution for.
    Last edited by Wiltron; 09-03-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    If Voyager 1 & 2 could cast a shadow on Earth, each would be smaller than a single E. Coli bacterium.
    Learn more at www.everydaysciencestuff.com

My Mood
    Daring
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 12 Hrs 50 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 25 Secs
    Looking good. I like the lights.
    And just think, you've only just begun.
    93 YJ - Stock 2.5L inline 4, 4" Rough Country Lift, 1.5" Shackles, 33" BFG's, SYE yet to be installed, Raptor Liner Sprayed, CB, Stereo that goes BooM, Aussie locker front, XJ solid shafts, tube fenders by Tubular Metalworx, 8500lb winch, Garvin swing away tire carrier and clearly far too much time on my hands. No roof, no doors and two screaming kids in the back.

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 10 Hrs 5 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 37 Secs
    nice rig!
    a learning experience is one of those things that says, you know that thing you just did...don't do that again.

Time Online: 2 Days 20 Hrs 52 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs
    Looks good, was planning on using the spray bedliner in mine as well, and after watching Buck Commander last night was tinking about spraying the whole thing inside and out with the stuff, how bright are the led off road lights?

Quote Originally Posted by 90YJWRANGLERLIFTED View Post
    how bright are the led off road lights?
    2600 lumens - Picture I googled

They're the brightest lights on the road, and light up everything nicely. Next time I'm out at night I'll get some night shots.

I plan to position them so they'll light the road up more, instead of having them aimed at the trees - since I do road driving more often than trails (for now..)

was tinking about spraying the whole thing inside and out with the stuff
    Do not do this - a friend of mine did this to his TJ, covered the inside and out head to toe with the tan coloured bed liner in a can. Bugs and other debris stick MORE to it and it's significantly harder to clean, should you do more than the "once a year when it's raining really hard" car wash. Also, it will damage the paint under it, so removal of it is pretty much an entire paint job re-do after a sand blasting of the entire body. Lastly, it requires constant maintenance and touch ups if you want to keep it looking nice. While it's not necessary to keep it touched up, it will look patchy after a few months..
    Last edited by Wiltron; 08-14-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Time Online: 2 Days 20 Hrs 52 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs
    Thanks for the heads up, inside only I guess

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Day 22 Hrs 13 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 37 Secs
    Looks good. I'll try to spot you around Town.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 4 Days 4 Hrs 51 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 33 Secs
    Lookin good so far, keep it up! Oh and welcome to the sickness!!
    94 YJ 5" lift with D44 35 x 12.5 on Steelies 4.0L 5 speed
    86 MJ 3" lift on 31" BFG's 4.0 HO 4x4 conversion - 96 Cherokee update
    More on the way
    OF4WD #6421

Quote Originally Posted by Herc View Post
    Welcome to the sickness!!
    It's all down hill from here I've found out..

My Mood
    Goofy
    Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 5 Hrs 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    Very nice. What are you doing with the subwoofer? Pm me if you want to sell it ?

Quote Originally Posted by TIM View Post
    Very nice. What are you doing with the subwoofer? Pm me if you want to sell it ?
    Already sold it to another Jeeper from Kijiji.. You're a week too late

Installation of the 2" Zone Lift kit was done over this past weekend (see post date). Pictures added to the gallery!

Special thanks to Max Sand for selling and hand delivery of the kit!

Special Thanks to my friend Rob who installed the whole thing himself, and refused payment of any sort (beer, money, etc).

Time Online: 3 Days 19 Hrs 55 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 18 Secs
    Please share your secrete for how you did the grill mesh.

The Grill Mesh - total cost was ~$10 give or take, and is in my opinion far superior to any other insert out on the market.

At Lowes they sell these "Gutter Guards" which are supposed to protect your gutter from leaves and what not. I saw that, did a quick hand measure and then ran out to my Jeep and did a 2nd hand measure to confirm sizing would work. It was already pre-cut and in stainless steel, so it was good stuff that could withstand any elements. It's sold in a package of 8 sheets, and on them they have these little clips which are supposed to attach to the gutter, just use a pair of snips to cut them off.

Snipping served a second purpose which just happened to work out after the fact, as I attached these with about 90000 zip ties. I bought the square 3M zip tie mounts, and put about 30 all over in various (measured) placed on the back of my grill. I stuck them in such a way so that two points of the square are pointing to the pavement and sky respectively, which happened to fit nicely in the snipped areas mentioned above. Once I had positioned the mounting brackets, I went to work on my gutter guards. I didn't want a flush mounted grill, making it obvious, so I bent the metal around a can of the bed liner (two birds with one stone, was working on painting the grill at the same time, while a coat was drying this was the secondary project). I just worked it around so it retained the shape of the can, and then a little extra bending to give it a more recessed U type shape, but not too much. Once I cut these to size some snips, I threw them down for a coat of bed liner. While they were drying, coat two of the grill was done, and while that was drying, coat two of the grill guards were done. While THAT was drying I had a beer :P

Now, mounting these was a bit of a pain, but nothing too bad. I had to carefully bend some of the metal on the JK a bit on the lower drivers side to account for the temperature sensor. Eventually I broke it, but noticed that it was only a zip tie holding it on, so I moved it elsewhere, but you can easily work the metal in a way to keep it in the factory position. My moving of it tends to misread the ambient temperature outside about 1 degree hotter now, as it's closer to the radiator. This temp sensor is NOT the sensor for engine temp, and may not be on your model of JK. Also some bunched up wiring of no description was found on top of the grille which I just muscled out of the way. Not sure what it is, or if I no longer have air bag sensors, but nothing broke :P

Zip tying each of the U's together with black zip ties, three ties on each connection (so it would look like UU, with 3 ties each holding UU together) and chained them along to cover all of the holes in the grill. I then used 3 zip ties on each side next to the lights to hold it up, and a zip tie in each of the pits between the UU's connecting it to the grill. This added impact strength, and support for holding it in place from gravity.

All in all, it's secure as anything - it's not moving, as the grill begins to bend inwards if I push the metal in. 3M Vehicle tape is strong stuff :P

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130819_203531.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1,014.5 KB 
ID:	93014Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130819_203547.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	93015

Time Online: 3 Days 19 Hrs 55 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 18 Secs
    Thanks for the write-up, I'll try doing the same on the weekend.

This Weekend's Projects completed:

SmittyBilt GEAR Overhead Console - Installed
    SmittyBilt GEAR Tailgate Cover - Installed (Thanks to my lovely Girlfriend for holding it up while I drilled!)

Pictures to come.. of the install, not of her :P

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 9 Hrs 37 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 29 Secs
    Looks good, was planning on using the spray bedliner in mine as well, and after watching Buck Commander last night was tinking about spraying the whole thing inside and out with the stuff, how bright are the led off road lights?
    Take a look at the "monstaliner" line. I just ordered some for my Jeep and Samurai. Comes in colours, can be sprayed or rolled, apparently durable as all hell, and for price it really isnt too bad.
    They also offer a free quart of chassis saver in various colours to any jeepers as well (Click here to see a giant thread with pictures of tons of jeeps exteriors and interiors done). Or if you're making a border trip anytime soon, free shipping in US
    Last edited by koesdibyo; 08-31-2013 at 09:25 PM.

This weekend's projects: (Sept 7-8)

• Re-Wireloom and possibly relocate wireloomed wire - Up along the roll cage, under the nylon, or along the under side of the tub
    • Correctly mount and hide the garage door opener to under the drivers side roll cage padding
    • Adjust some pockets on the GEAR Overhead Console so I can have a functioning rear-view mirror again
    • Re-locate the CB Radio to attach to the GEAR Overhead Console
    • Re-tighten the CB Radio Antenna and Quick Release; I'll Loctite it this time.. (almost lost it on the highway the other day!)