Thread: Personal info

Hybrid View

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 3 Hrs 15 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 58 Secs

Personal info

A friend had an incident yesterday which involved her lightly tapping the rear bumper of the car in front of her. That person insisted on getting all of her information even though there was clearly no damage of any kind. She is kind of unsettled knowing that this person has her info now.

My question is; when is it mandatory to exchange information and what minimum info is req’d? Should she of called the cops if she felt uneasy giving out her info?

Thanks
    O.F.4.W.D. #5263

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    In this type of incident (minor/no damage), you can always contact Police. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Typically, they may ask you if there is or appears to be $1000 damage or more. It is pretty easy nowadays to accumulate $1000 damage. If there isn't that much damage, they may not respond to the scene, however, they may still complete a report if you request it, you would have to attend your local Police Station to do this though.

I want to add though, different jurisdictions may have different policy on this last point, so if in doubt, contact them and see if they will complete a report for you.

As far as someone requesting the information, and what type, it is listed in Sec 200 of the Highway Traffic Act:

Duty of person in charge of vehicle in case of accident

200. (1) Where an accident occurs on a highway, every person in charge of a vehicle or street car that is directly or indirectly involved in the accident shall,

(a) remain at or immediately return to the scene of the accident;

(b) render all possible assistance; and

(c) upon request, give in writing to anyone sustaining loss or injury or to any police officer or to any witness his or her name, address, driver’s licence number and jurisdiction of issuance, motor vehicle liability insurance policy insurer and policy number, name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle and the vehicle permit number. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 200 (1); 1997, c. 12, s. 16.

Penalty

(2) Every person who contravenes this section is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $400 and not more than $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both, and in addition the person’s licence or permit may be suspended for a period of not more than two years. 2009, c. 5, s. 54.

The offence is failing to give required information, and there is no set fine.

Your girlfriend did the right thing by giving her information, and I'm glad it was nothing more serious!

I hope this answers your question!

Cheers
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

Time Online: 1 Day 3 Hrs 54 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    this has happened to me. after going to the collision centre the lady i hit claimed no damage.. i then received a phone call the next day from my insurance company saying there was 600$ worth of damage. raising my insurance 70$ a month. in witch case i know pay 350 a month. its worth it for the jeep though.ill just be broke for awhile lol
    2003 TJ 6 straight 2" body lift. Newbie and yes its a jeep thing.

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 3 Hrs 15 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 58 Secs
    I will forward this info to her. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Cheers