Thread: 00 XJ Heater Core Replacement.

Time Online: 6 Hrs 53 Mins 40 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs

00 XJ Heater Core Replacement.

well here I am, new heater core in hand and seeing what I have ahead of me. my question is, if there is a way around ripping the dash out? it has been flushed twice already and still not working after 2 days. I say " I might as well buy a new core" HA! for some reason i thought that this was going to be a good easy job. I'm thinking other wise. Any suggestions? help? anything but mocking and making me feel worse please HAHA!

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Welcome to JK. Have you checked return flow out of the core with the engine running? If the flow is acceptable and you have no heat, you may have a blend door issue and not a heater core issue. If the flow is poor, then yes, flushing didn't work and the core is plugged up. Unfortunately, whether there is a blend door issue or a heater core issue, the end result is the same, the HVAC unit has to be disassembled to fix either problem.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 17 Hrs 41 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 37 Secs
    The dash needs to be lifted to remove the ac/heater box. If your ac works or still has gas, you need to take it to a shop to have the Freon vacd out. It's not that hard to change, I did mine in April. It just takes time. You only need to drop the steering column, not remove it. You also don't need to disconnect the wires. I only removed the front passenger seat. You can pm me your number if you want me to guide you through it.
    Angelo
    1998 Jeep Cherokee - 2dr, 4.0, Auto, 231 4x4
    1980 MGB - 3.4V6, T5 transmission, Ford 8.8 posi.
    1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby - t-tops, 5 speed, 2.2 intercooled turbo

Thanks! My AC is all brand new and works like a champ, so I know it isn't the blend gate. Good coolant flow also, I am going to give it another good flush for good measure before I replace it. I always knew having a mechanic buddy was a good life choice haha. If it was just me I would leave it, but I have a 1 year old son so it has to be working!!!

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 17 Hrs 41 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 37 Secs
    You can try draino.
    Disconnect both heater hoses from the engine, bypassing the heater core. Then connect hoses to the heater core and with a small funnel fill it up. You might want to dilute the draino with water, and don't get any splashed in your eyes. After letting it sit for a while, flush with lots of water and maybe with baking soda in it to nutralize the acid. I'm guessing the po had a cracked head and tried sealing it with the stupid stop leak stuff. I've never tried this, but I know of lots of people that have. Look into it before you try it, in case I'm missing something.

well i flushed it another 2 times and then changed the thermostat even tho my "Mechanic/friend" said it was that. I WAS RIGHT! haha its working great for now, we will see what the week will do for it. I still have the core sitting in the box for the last resort!!

thanks for all your help guys!