Thread: yj 350 swap questions

My Mood
    Bored
    Time Online: 5 Days 15 Hrs 31 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 27 Secs

yj 350 swap questions

A buddy who builds engines for a living is building me a 3chev 350 for my yj. Its a 87 yj I have done the ax 15 swap with external slave. I am curious what is all out there for conversion bellhousings and what I would use for a clutch and flywheel?
    87' yj, 3.5" superlift,HD extended shackles,1.5" homemade body lift,35" bf m/t,ar 767 rims,warn 8000 lb winch. And of course 1000lbs of rust

There is only two kinds of people in the world,those who wish they had a jeep and those who have a jeep!

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 28 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    I hope it is a very low powered SBC. The Jeep AX15 is a decent transmission for what it is...but should not be behind a decent V8. They won't put up with much HP. I would not spend a dime on trying retain it behind a strong V8. If you insist on using it anyway, you can get the YJ 4 banger bell housing as it has the same bell pattern. The stock SBC flywheel will work fine. It looks like a 10 spline GM clutch disc should work fine. You should be able to get any flavour 10 or 11" GM clutch with that spline from most clutch manufacturers.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

My Mood
    Bored
    Thanks that helps. I know the ax 15 isn't a tout trans but will keep me going for now as long as I take it easy.

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 8 Secs
    the ax 15 is behind the 318s in the Dakotas so you should be able to use it for a while if your not to throttle happy
    91 Renagade
    frame replacement and more http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...91-yj-renagade

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by H3lzsn1p3r View Post
    the ax 15 is behind the 318s in the Dakotas so you should be able to use it for a while if your not to throttle happy
    I'm fairly sure any V8 Dakota 5 spd manuals were NV3500 only. The 3.9 V6 and earlier model 2.5 4 bangers got an AX15. I've never heard of an AX15 V8 application but I'm certainly not an expert. But if you have a source that lists an AX15 behind the 5.2 in a Dakota, please cite it. I do know there are several variations of this transmission in various import vehicles that do handle a fair bit of power but they have little in common with the Dodge/Jeep AX15 applications.

My Mood
    Bored
    Also what year did the ax5 come external slave set up?

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 8 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    I'm fairly sure any V8 Dakota 5 spd manuals were NV3500 only. The 3.9 V6 and earlier model 2.5 4 bangers got an AX15. I've never heard of an AX15 V8 application but I'm certainly not an expert. But if you have a source that lists an AX15 behind the 5.2 in a Dakota, please cite it. I do know there are several variations of this transmission in various import vehicles that do handle a fair bit of power but they have little in common with the Dodge/Jeep AX15 applications.
    here is a site that states when they were used but does not say the engine size http://www.midwesttrans.com/ax15_trans_parts.html I have a friend that has one with the 318 and ax15 (ax15 is on the build sheet aswell) the v6 has the same bellhousing as the v8s and the 2.5 4 banger

cheers

My Mood
    Buzzed
    The 4 banger bell is not the same as the small block Dodge pattern. The 2.5 engine in the Dakota was the same one used in the YJ/TJ which is an old GM design that Jeep first started using in CJ models in the AMC era. It has the GM SBC/BBC bell pattern. As well, the AX15 behind a 5.2 Dakota is dubious as that would be an oddity. While I do not doubt that is a possibility as some weird half year model run or something like that, it is certainly the exception to the rule as the 5spd listed for the 5.2 is the NV3500. I would not use this oddity as reasoning behind the argument that the AX15 is a decent transmission behind a powerful V8. While the 3500 is no monster, it is certainly better suited for V8 use and Dodge certainly re-enforces that sentiment by specifically using it in the V8 application in place of the AX15 that was used with the 4/6 cyl. engines.

My Mood
    Bored
    I'm not asking if its compatible with the dodge motor. Asking a ax5 bellhousing will bolt to a chev 350 lol

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by seansjeep View Post
    I'm not asking if its compatible with the dodge motor. Asking a ax5 bellhousing will bolt to a chev 350 lol
    This has been answered at least twice in the first 8 posts of your thread. If you have a bell housing, regardless of the transmission, that was bolted to the GM based 2.5L 4 banger, it shares the same bell mounting pattern as the GM SBC/BBC and will bolt up. So, if you have an AX5 bell housing for a 2.5L, the bell housing will physically bolt to the SBC. As well, the first time in this thread where you actually referenced using a bell housing from an AX5 and whether it would bolt to a SBC was in the quoted post #9. Unless I'm missing something...

My Mood
    Bored
    Haha my bad second question was the jeep ax5 ever offered with external slave cylinder?

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by seansjeep View Post
    Haha my bad second question was the jeep ax5 ever offered with external slave cylinder?
    Up to 94 is internal, 95 and up is external. I'm somewhat confused with how the AX5 plays into your engine swap ideas and using your AX15, though. The AX5 bell will not bolt to an AX15. They are close but not compatible. It's difficult to decipher what you are talking about here.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    All this begs the question: How much HP is the 350 being built for? If you are just freshening up a low HP carb or TBI smogger engine, you will probably be fine with the AX15 but....what is being built exactly?