Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No license and buying a vehicle; what's involved and how do I do it?

Time Online: 4 Days 15 Hrs 17 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Secs

No license and buying a vehicle; what's involved and how do I do it?

Hi guys. I am underage, cannot apply for a license, buy I LOVE jeeps, and want one bad, and have a budget for something cheap as a farm beater that may turn into a daily driver one day (hopefully). I am particularly interested in a yj (preferably not 4.2 carb, but if its good I might bite) and I know ohhh you should save up for a tj or something more practical and ohhhhhh tj's are better because they can take a lift kit and bigger tires better and ride better than a yj and have a coated frame and tub and don't rust out near as easy but come on, I don't need that, it'll eventually turn into a frame off resto/build/mod, plus, I think tj's are uuuuglay, mostly the interior, well just the interior actually, and tjs cost a wee bit prettier of a penny for a good one. I'm thinkin somewhere along the lines of 4'' susp lift, 1'' body lift, 33's, sye, bedliner coating the inside of the tub, custom navy blue paintjob, a roof basket that doesn't mount to rollcage or hard top, countless mods under the hood to squeeze as much torque to the wheels as possible like serpentine belt-driven rad fan to electric rad fan, etc etc the list goes on, but that's later, wayyyy later. I have way more fun crawling and going slow than I would going fast, 4 inch lift, not 4 inch drop, you know? Anyways, now to the best part, legally getting that thing under my name and getting a fully legal title. We've got a farm with some trails that we use a 93 grand cherokee on, but cant take the top off, windshield down, doors off, you get my drift. more fun in the sun, or in the mud shall I say. What's it cost for me to get a title? Whats involved, how do I do it? I'm no newbie when it comes to jeeps, but I'm as green as they get when it comes to titles and whatnot. Thanks pippylongstockings for getting me into the square headlights and yj's, and thanks for involving me with jeeps in general. So far with our grand Cherokee Laredo, I've done a rad replacement, a tranny cooling line fix, rear brake drum fix, and random other crap. I love wrenching on anything automotive, or anything with an internal combustion engine for that matter, and slow feels better than fast (I'm talking about rock crawling) and getting muddy sounds like a great idea, I've had second thoughts about getting stuck, especially without a winch etc etc, so a jeep was the best of both worlds. Thanks guys, I look forward to learning the ropes with the legal business and chatting with you guys. It's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand!!

My Mood
    Daring
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 12 Hrs 50 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 25 Secs
    I don't think you need a license to buy, you need one to drive.
    You don't have to transfer the ownership into your name immediately as long as cert and etest don't matter yet (I don't think there is time limit) but always retain your bill of sale.
    I believe you could also register it as unfit, but I am not sure how this works.
    Best bet is get a ride to the MTO and ask.

Also, paragraphs next time please.
    93 YJ - Stock 2.5L inline 4, 4" Rough Country Lift, 1.5" Shackles, 33" BFG's, SYE yet to be installed, Raptor Liner Sprayed, CB, Stereo that goes BooM, Aussie locker front, XJ solid shafts, tube fenders by Tubular Metalworx, 8500lb winch, Garvin swing away tire carrier and clearly far too much time on my hands. No roof, no doors and two screaming kids in the back.

Time Online: 3 Wks 14 Hrs 35 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 46 Secs
    dont you have to register within 10 days; check this http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...d.shtml#buying but if your going to be using it on the farm
    Last edited by headhunter; 10-22-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: found this

I realize I don't need a drivers license to buy a vehicle, I'm just concerned about the legalities regarding the purchasing my first vehicle. I haven't purchased anything yet, but I want one bad.

I had a feeling safety and etest would come into play. So it needs to pass a safety and etest within a certain timeframe? Damnnnn... I would like more info on the unfit thing you mentioned. Also, I knew about the transferring of the ownership to my name immediately, but will that incur more charges and money?
    I will be going to the mto soon, I just wanted to know as much as I could from you guys.

Sure, thanks for that I'll keep that in mind for any next posts

Sorry headhunter, What don't I have to register in 10 days?

that was supposed to be you have to register the vehicle in 6 days, but as i said i wouldn't worry if your staying on private property. check the web addy i posted

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 37 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonjeep101 View Post
    I realize I don't need a drivers license to buy a vehicle, I'm just concerned about the legalities regarding thepurchasing my first vehicle.

^ This sentence doesn’t make much sense. Since you realize that you do not require adrivers licence to lawfully buy a vehicle, you should be able to logically conclude that you understand the legality of buying said vehicle without a drivers licence…ie, it’s legal to do so.

I had a feeling safety and etest would come into play.

Now what you are talking about is making your vehicle legal for the road which has little to do with the purchase of a vehicle. You can buy a vehicle with absolutely no consideration in regards to a safety or an etest. That is your choice to do so.

So it needs to pass a safety andetest within a certain timeframe?

No, it does not. You can own a vehicle for an eternity without ever having to pass a safety inspectionor etest. There is no law that requires that a vehicle has a safety or etest while you own it….UNLESS you are registering it to be road legal.

I would like more info on the unfitthing you mentioned.

Not much to it. “UNFIT” simply means that the vehicle has been registered in your name without actually having valid licence plates registered to the vehicle. IE, it is not registered to be roadworthy. When you are ready to make it road worthy, you will require a valid safety inspection, etest and proof of insurance at the time of registration to declare it “FIT” for the road. At which point, proof of a valid drivers licence would be required.

Also, I knew about the transferring of the ownership to my name immediately, but will that incur more charges and money?

It costs $5 to transfer a vehicle title into your name. It will cost an additional to purchase the vehicle history package IF the seller does not provide it at the time ofsale. The seller has an obligation to provide the history package but frequently this does not happen. The burden to produce a history package the time of title transfer then becomes the responsibility of the buyer.

Last edited by Stickybongsmoking; 10-22-2013 at 04:36 PM.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Thanks a million ctd. Your knowledge is much appreciated.

I have been told a few times that safety and etest would come into play, but I have misunderstood or been misinformed.

So I should ask for a vehicle history package, is this different from a Used Vehicle Information Package? From what I know, I must be presented with one at time of sale (illegal not to) so I do not think they are the same as you said, ''The seller has an obligation to provide the history package but frequently this does not happen.''

Wonderful, being able to transfer a vehicle into your own name without having to get the vehicle through a safety and e test is a huge relief.

Can't thank you enough for letting me pick your brain for this info, much much appreciated.

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 17 Hrs 41 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 37 Secs
    vehicle history package = Used Vehicle Information Package = UVIP

You can try to force the seller to get one, but they might tell you to take a hike.
    They don't have to sell you the vehicle if they don't want to.
    Angelo
    1998 Jeep Cherokee - 2dr, 4.0, Auto, 231 4x4
    1980 MGB - 3.4V6, T5 transmission, Ford 8.8 posi.
    1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby - t-tops, 5 speed, 2.2 intercooled turbo

Quote Originally Posted by big_ang View Post

You can try to force the seller to get one, but they might tell you to take a hike.
    Ok got it, thanks a bunch!

Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 2 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 12 Secs
    Dude I already told you. No you don't need a liscence to buy a vehicle. Yes for it to be on the road you need to pass a safety and etest. But in order for it to be road legal it legally must be in your parents name until you are 16 and have a G1.
    IT'S TWEETER B!TCHEZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Pav1 View Post
    "PIPPI APPROVED"
    Attachment 91983
    2004 Subaru forester 2.5 turbo AWD "The General"

1997 TJ sport Rollin' on 33's "Woah Black Betty"

did i miss it or did you peeps forget to say that taxes would have to be paid on the price of the bill of sale or what the UVIP says (taxes will have to be payed on the larger of the 2 prices)

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 18 Hrs 20 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 22 Secs
    Now........having an un-plated and un-insured vehicle in your drive-way is your next issue............................................l ife dramas ..............they sux balls!
    91 Suburban on 38 Swampers, 5.7 (350) V1500 4x4. Big ...red...and ugly.

"The camel toe is the smile of the body, if the body were a face"

yeah, taxes. I knew I would have to pay taxes.

It wont be sitting in a driveway, itll be on a large, privately owned property.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 18 Hrs 20 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 22 Secs

It wont be sitting in a driveway, itll be on a large, privately owned property.
    Bonus

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 17 Hrs 41 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 37 Secs
    If a yj doesn't have wholesale value, which it probably doesn't, you could say you paid $20 for it and pay the tax on that. If you get it from a dealer, you pay tax on the actual sale price. I drive a lot of clunkers, the last dozen vehicles I've owned I've paid a maximum of a couple hundred, with a few exceptions (I paid $800 for my xj). Tax shouldn't be an issue - if you have to factor it in, you shouldn't buy a jeep!!

If a yj doesn't have wholesale value, which it probably doesn't, you could say you paid $20 for it and pay the tax on that. If you get it from a dealer, you pay tax on the actual sale price. I drive a lot of clunkers, the last dozen vehicles I've owned I've paid a maximum of a couple hundred, with a few exceptions (I paid $800 for my xj). Tax shouldn't be an issue - if you have to factor it in, you shouldn't buy a jeep!!
    Well, what do you mean wholesale value?

And the seller will give me a bill of sale with the actual selling price, so when I go to transfer the ownership to my name at the mto, I have to present the bill of sale, then pay the tax off of the listed price. Is that not how it works?

My Mood
    Daring
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 12 Hrs 50 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 25 Secs
    Thank you CTD for taking the time to do that.

So, young guy, find what you want.
    Buy it.
    Go with the ownership to the MTO and pay 20 bucks for the Used Vehicle Package, pay the taxes based on bill of sale or wholesale value, pay the $5 to transfer it into your name and register it as unfit.
    Tow it home.

Safety and etest and street legal.....don't bother until you are insured on something else for min 3yrs first

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 21 Hrs 40 Mins 40 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 18 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepinpete View Post
    Now........having an un-plated and un-insured vehicle in your drive-way is your next issue............................................l ife dramas ..............they sux balls!
    HMMM, now who around this forum would EVER do this.... not me...

PS, build season is coming...isn't it?
    Signed with an X

May my YJ RIP
    Building an SAS Xterra...slowly

Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 9 Hrs 44 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 50 Secs

You want the used vehicle package if you don't know the buyer, it's 20 bucks I think.. It will tell you if there is a lien on the Heep...Because when you change over the ownership you don't want to be responsible for anyone else's payments...as in, they won't change over the ownership until the lien is cleared

'90 YJ Wrangler with the mighty 2.5L , 2.5" lift, and about 250K miles on her
    '10 F-150 Supercrew, 2003 TJ 4.0 (FOR SALE!!!)
    Started the 1 ton/3 fitty build, 3more lugs are good right??
    I like soup....... and beavers