Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No license and buying a vehicle; what's involved and how do I do it?

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 9 Secs

No license and buying a vehicle; what's involved and how do I do it?

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonjeep101 View Post
    I think tj's are uuuuglay

Thanks pippylongstockings for getting me into the square headlights and yj's!!
    The youth are so mislead these days...

Perhaps the square headlights seem cool or retro to the 90's and 2000's sucklings but I remember the 80's when every car, truck and motorcycle (besides the classy ones)has square headlights
    They were ghey then and still are.

Chrysler at least learned from their mistake and corrected it.

Btw if you continue down the same path as pippi you may even end up with a H2 or 3 in your fleet. It's not a good path to be on.
    badass tj " Hey bro I would really like 2 grab tht rear end."

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 22 Hrs 47 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Okay so...

When I bought my parts/project XJ I had to present my driver's license. I can't remember if this was just 'government photo ID' or if they specifically wanted my Ontario Driver's License.

Anyway the cost to the grubbermint is the registration, UVIP which is $20, and tax on either the purchase price or Blue Book Wholesale Value (probably Rough), whichever is greater. In my case I bought the XJ for $300, and the wholesale value for a 2001 Cherokee in rough shape was $1200, so I paid HST on the $1200. I registered as unfit so that was it. As mentioned DriveClean and safety certification are required to get the vehicle licensed for use on public roads. If the ID thing poses a problem you could have a parent hold onto it until you get your G1, family transfers are super cheap and don't have the usual conditions.
    But our trip was different. It was to be a classic affirmation of everything right and true in the national character. A gross physical salute to the fantastic possibilities of life in this country. But only for those with true grit.

And we are chock full of that, man!

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 10 Hrs 4 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 37 Secs
    something else you will need, if you buy said jeep, if its more than 20yrs old you also require an appraisal for transfer of ownership. Buy the $20. package first, the employee behind the counter will inform you if you require one. Your used vehicle package will say $0.00 value meaning you pay tax on appraisal.
    Last edited by cheezy; 10-23-2013 at 05:28 AM.
    a learning experience is one of those things that says, you know that thing you just did...don't do that again.

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 5 Hrs 49 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 20 Secs
    The MTO will want a driver's licence for transfer. My daughter's boyfriend bought a car without a licence and had to put it in his mother's name. But when you change it to your name after you get your G1, you and your mother/father just go to the MTO office and fill out a "gifting" form. This way you don't pay the tax again and you don't have to get the package. you just pay a transfer fee. Parents can "gift" a vehicle to the same child once a year. I have done this twice with my dad over the years.
    '88 Wagoneer, 4.0, Auto, 6.5" longarm lift, Locked rear, on 33x12.5x15. '95 Grand Cherokee,(wifes) 4.0, Auto, 3.5" Tuff Country on 32" BFG M/Ts. '95 YJ, 2.5, AX5, 2" spring & 2" body, riding on 33s. More to come.
    Member of
    4-Lo Offroad, 4Wildrides
    OF4wd #5896

Time Online: 3 Days 6 Hrs 57 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs
    Buy it, Wheel it. Have fun - worry bout legallities later :-D