Thread: GPS for laptop?

Hybrid View

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 35 Secs

GPS for laptop?

I work downtown mostly and my iPhone and Garmin get pretty wonky in the core with tall buildings. I was gonna get an antenna for my Garmin, but can I get one for my laptop and get a good mapping software? I have a Panasonic tough book running Win7 enterprise. How much would the external antenna help? I'd love to have the bigger screen over the Garmin.

Thanks
    OF4WD 5982 & 5983

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 31 Secs
    i use micro soft streets and trips on my laptop it came with an antenna
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 13 Hrs 12 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 20 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtPiratexpress1369a View Post
    i use micro soft streets and trips on my laptop it came with an antenna
    I use this one as well, works great for maping trails as well.
    #20OF4WD#3476

"Will roll over for treats"

97 XJ on 36's (with a few mods)

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 22 Hrs 18 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 23 Secs
    X3 for streets and trips. it is the best option
    semper ubi sub ubi

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Mins 55 Secs
    x3...$100 and comes with a USB stick style antenna...includes a short USB extension cable to move the antenna to a better location, but you can use any extension cable (I use a 10 foot cable and route it so it can't be seen then hide the antenna away (can be done as long as it is not hidden by metal)

If you want to take your laptop wheeling for GPS purposes, I made a post here with some info.

You can also check out "Laptop GPS World" it is a forum where I found a lot of my info to setup my netbook for onroad (using streets and trips - there are other programs available, but I find S&T to be more than adequate) and offroad (garmin based topo using 100% free mapping) with the ability to run multiple tracking programs at the same time with various info available in each program.
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 31 Secs
    the only problem i ever had with mine was when i was in mountains like the Rockies (line of sight ).so laws do not like you using your laptop when driving

GPS for laptop?

How well does the antenna work in a busy area with tall buildings? And is the antenna just a magnet you attach somewhere?

The Google app for iPhone is pretty good, but it also has some wrong locations. It's taken me to 3 wrong addresses last month.

GPS for laptop?

Thanks for the info. I'll go through them a little later.

I'm wondering though, my tough book has an air card and GPS, can I just download a mapping software to try it out? But I'm sure I'll still need an external antenna in the downtown core.

GPS for laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by ButtPiratexpress1369a View Post
    the only problem i ever had with mine was when i was in mountains like the Rockies (line of sight ).so laws do not like you using your laptop when driving
    It's the same for GPS and phones too. For me I need to program the next client's address and drive to it, no need to fiddle with while driving.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    When you say your toughbook has GPS, are you talking an actual GPS receiver?

If so, then using it instead of an external receiver (through USB, BT, whatever other connection) is dependent on what kind of receiver technology it uses. There are different kinds of receivers and some software is not capable of using a different manufacturers receiver. A prime example is the USB receiver that comes with MS S&T is not capable of being used by Garmin based software.

With the help of the folks at the other forum, I found Franson GPSGate (mentioned in the post linked above) that is capable of creating a Garmin receiver signal from the incoming MS receiver signal making the Garmin software work with the MS receiver. GPSGate is also capable of sending a receiver signal out through BT so others within range can connect through BT to my netbook/GPS and make use of its USB based receiver for their own GPS system.

Pretty cool little program, and the people at the other forum are probably the best resource to answer various technical questions like being described above.

If you go there, please update this thread with whatever info/solution you find.

GPS for laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    When you say your toughbook has GPS, are you talking an actual GPS receiver?
    I really haven't had much time to figure out the new toy. It has an "air card watcher" which shows how much data I've used, along with my GPS coordinates. It's a company computer and they use the GPS for asset tracking and utilization, which I have no problems with. I'm hoping I can use the same GPS to turn the tough book into a navigation device as well.

I'll go through your links and spend more time on the computer and update this for sure.

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 23 Hrs 25 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 7 Secs
    I use a Garmin GLO with my iPad. Bluetooth communication between the two and works really well. I use a RAM mount for my iPad in the truck and have essentially a 9.7" GPS screen with the iPad.

Now as far as tall buildings and the such I haven't tested it that much. Basically if you have bad signal from satelights this isn't going to overcome that. Some days I get bad signal south of Windsor but my wife also has the same issue some days on her GPS so it isn't just the GLO.

I think I paid $100 or so from Radioworld.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    bumping this up...

Had to replace the netbook and couldn't find the original software downloads I had stored somewhere, so I had to download them again...looks like all of the above links are still active with the noted software still available.

Oh, and a side note...150 psi of compressed air is not friendly to a netbook...lots of dust came out, but so did all the blades on the fan...

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Ran into a problem setting up the new to me netbook...

Installed Garmin Topo Canada v4, it showed up in MapSource, but did not show up in nRoute...did a quick Google search and found this thread ---> http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/3048-n...topo-canada-v4 explaining the differences in file formats from older maps to newer maps and the requirement to convert v4 to an older format to work with nRoute.

The thread mentions a program called Map Reverse Converter located here ---> http://www.javawa.nl/cne2009_multilang.html

Easy to use, run the program, it asks you to choose the map you want to convert and where you want to save the converted map, hit enter, and off it goes...a new window opens, looks old school DOS style...lots of text scrolling on the screen...10 minutes later the text stops scrolling and it says conversion finished...opened nRoute and there it is!

Pretty sweet!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Doing some more snooping around the web for any "new" info since I setup the first netbook for GPS and found a thread on checking if you can use your existing Garmin Nuvi as a USB receiver for laptop based GPS and how to set it up if you can.

The thread is about using a Nuvi specifically for Streets and Trips, so one of the images for GPSGate setup in the thread shows clicking a check box for "share my gps between several applications" and leaving "use GPS with nRoute/MapSource" unchecked...I am assuming the Nuvi could be used with nRoute/MapSource if you check that box, but seeing as I don't have a Nuvi to try I can't say for sure.

Just thought this little bit of info might be interesting for those who already have a Nuvi and wouldn't mind a larger screen without having to buy another GPS receiver.