Thread: 1987 Yj frame off and upgrade

Time Online: 2 Days 19 Hrs 31 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Secs

1987 Yj frame off and upgrade

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131026_115241_resized.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	410.4 KB 
ID:	94681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131026_115308_resized.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	520.2 KB 
ID:	94682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131130_153229_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	535.2 KB 
ID:	94683Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131130_155415_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	502.2 KB 
ID:	94684So I got an 87 yj that I am totaly redoing. I have some questions now and I'm sure many more will come. For now I am trying to figure out a rear stretch. I want to go with a 4" stretch. I already know all the isues and work ill need to do for this. The reason for 4" is I can move the tank back 2" and still maintain my back seat. What I have been trying to figure out is what springs to use. I am going soa but don't really want any more lift than what that would provide me on stock yj springs. I know waggy springs would give me 2" (not enough) cherokee springs and I'd get about 6" (to much). Does anyone know of a spring that would get me as close to my 4" as possible without giving a bunch of lift? I have been researching chevy 52" springs but can't come up with what type of arch they have and therefore I have no idea if they would give me lift I don't want.

Just so everyone knows my build is a 1987 yj soa with waggy springs in the front for the 2" stretch. I haven't got the front axle yet but am pretty convinced on a dana 44. I have bought and am putting a chev 305 tbi with a 700r4. I don't know what transfer case I'm going to run yet, it'll depend on what side drop I get on my front axle. Passenger side it'll most likely be a dana 300 drivers side and ill go np231. The rear axle I have bought already and am going with a 8.8 out of an explorer. I plan on running 37" tires.
    Last edited by neil5t9ik; 12-01-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 18 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 49 Secs
    I used waggy springs and my a
    8.8 after market spring perches have 3 centering holes I did a 3" stretch easy if your perches are long enough just drill them out I've seen read up on guys making another centering hole in the main leaf as well.
    I thought life handed you lemons..... who the phuk is throwing them at my head !!!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 2 Hrs 30 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 13 Secs
    Just a question, if you're moving your tank back then you're into some frame massaging, why don't you just back half it and get some new leaf mounts from TMR customs ($40 I think) and move them back on the frame. That way you could use stock YJ springs and just move them back 4"

http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/inde...roducts_id=985

Just an ideer, check out my build and my backhalf... A similar idea may work for you.
    Last edited by pnut; 11-28-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    1957 Chev 3100 task force (in proggress)
    1991/87/89/95 YJ - The OutlaW SOLD
    Build Linky: http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...roject-Big-Red

Follow me on instagram @pnutbilt_fab

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 3 Days 6 Hrs 34 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 18 Secs
    I've got a yj build going on similar to yours. Yj,waggy springs soa front and rear, 14b rear, 8 lug hp dana 44 front. For my springs I went with rancho rs4404 2 in lift springs. So far with my build I have the tub on the frame with 1.25in mounts, springs and axles installed. I had plans on running 38 to 40 in tires. Now I don't have any of the heavy stuff installed yet ( lt1 350, 4l60e trans, 241c t case) but it seems to sit really high. Once I get the drive train installed I think I'm going to have to pull a leaf out of the packs to get it sitting where I want it. Just some food for thought.
    Last edited by misfitmechanic; 11-28-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Already some good suggestions, Thanks.

I am considering a few options. after seeing misfitmechanic's pic I think he's right about the height. I don't want to go crazy with the lift.

Im not sure about the back half, it seems more dramatic than I want. I haven't looked into it much but can you even keep the stock gas tank if you do that?

I just got the spring perches from tmr tonight and they do have 3 mounting holes. I am going test fit Cherokee springs and use the forward most hole in the perch. That should give me 5" of stretch. Im not sure if my plan for the tank will clear that much but I'm going to try. I like the idea of longer springs for ride and I would think they have more flex to them

If the Cherokee spring idea doesn't work I will probably go with pnuts idea and just move the original springs back 4". I do like that idea for the front though because it means I can do a shackle reversal at the same time.

Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 9 Hrs 44 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 50 Secs

'90 YJ Wrangler with the mighty 2.5L , 2.5" lift, and about 250K miles on her
    '10 F-150 Supercrew, 2003 TJ 4.0 (FOR SALE!!!)
    Started the 1 ton/3 fitty build, 3more lugs are good right??
    I like soup....... and beavers

Yeah, I have that chart too. I have been looking at it daily hoping for another option and for it to suddenly show me the distance from the eyelet to the bottom of the spring. lol

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 2 Hrs 30 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 13 Secs

I kept the stock gas tank - check out my build thread, I basically just re-created the back of the frame, but fixed all of the ghey stuff that jeep did in the first place that always fails.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 5 Secs

I would use the Xj spring and move the front spring mount forward 2".

The key is to make sure that the shackles have a good angle to make everything work well.

I put Xj SOA and added another inch in the perch to gain 7" of rear stretch. Then offset the front to gain another 4". 104" overall length. I have 5.5" of lift and run 35's.

Why not put a d300 if you have a drivers drop. It's a better transfer case especially behind the V8.

Have a look at my build. Sounds as though we will have similar builds.

Collection of parts.... Continued

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...arts-continued
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

So I'll start by saying you guys have some unreal builds and threads. I thought I was getting in deep with this project but you guys must have felt like you were drowning at some points.

I have decided to go with xj springs and 6" of stretch. It will mean I have to run a fuel cell or something because I don't want to lose the back seat or my AMPLE!!! luggage area. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it though.

I have also taken Jak Flash's advice on the Dana 300. I think all the convincing I needed to swing me on that one was a single suggestion and I got it! Im picking one up on Sunday.

My question that I have now is, has anyone done the 2wd 700r4 to dana 300 with the advanced adapters kit? will the 300 just flip and have the mounting holes line up or do I also need a clocking ring?

I know there is more to flopping the 300 but I am only concerned with the actual mounting for now.

Jack flash I was also wondering what your pinion angle ended up being on your 8.8?