Thread: 4x4 Offroad Events in Ontario????

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 6 Hrs 16 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 20 Secs

Question 4x4 Offroad Events in Ontario????

Hello fellow wheelers.

I have noticed that there aren’t many offroad events in Ontario. There are the trail run gatherings such as Camp NL etc, the show N shines but there are no amateur technical events. The only technical event I have seen is King of the Shield but that looks to be at a very high level and it seems to be struggling to get enough participants.
    The other thing I have heard of on a more amateur level are mud bogs but they are not technical.
    Maybe I am not aware of other events that go on?

In Spain we have a number of small Trial events around the country. They are technical and fun. They usually have different categories which go by tire size or rollcage equipped etc. They are not a race and more focused on points. Rules tend to vary but in general you lose points for going reverse, going outside the limits of the course and getting stuck. As its not a race you can take it easy and not destroy your rig.
    Courses can be man made with machines or natural, depending on what is available.

An example for an easy class of up to 35” tires would be this vid:

For the bigger boys, 1 ton Jeeps, I would suggest a more technical course like these recap videos show:

I really miss these events. They are a lot of fun for participants and spectators. So I was wondering why something like this wouldn’t catch on in Ontario? What are your thoughts?

Herve
    Obsessed about offroading and moved from Spain to Vaughan.

Owner of a never ending YJ project: BUILD THREAD
    Winter beater 1998 Toyota 4Runner
    Owner of a Suzuki Sammy back in Spain
    www.d-limit.com

My Mood
    Amazed
    100+ views and not one single reply? You guys are a tough crowd

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 28 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    It sounds like it might be a situation where 'if you build it, they will come'.

The property, location, liability, etc all play into why we don't see much of this around here. The Hastings Tough truck competition was one of the only events I recall that was close to what you are wanting...but that event is no more.

It's certainly not impossible but if you think an event like that might be popular here, you may have to create it yourself as most don't have the knowledge or resources to pull it off.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 6 Hrs 24 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min
    Heya

There use to be the ontario rock crawl competitions but since some people are complaining about noise from the host site they have been cancelled.

The most difficult part of getting these events going is property to conduct such an event followed by a close second reason of lack of volunteers to run the event. The OF4WD has insurance coverage for such events so basically those are the two main reasons we lack these events in Ontario.

If you find something or hear about a potential property willing do do such an event let us know and we know some people who would look into holding the event and have experience in it.

Known mud bog events
    Cambelford Fair
    Millbrook fair

See the OF4WD events calander for their next event, usually May and July sometime.

Hope this helps
    Brian Sibbles
    Executive Director
    www.of4wd.com

Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    It sounds like it might be a situation where 'if you build it, they will come'.

The property, location, liability, etc all play into why we don't see much of this around here. The Hastings Tough truck competition was one of the only events I recall that was close to what you are wanting...but that event is no more.

It's certainly not impossible but if you think an event like that might be popular here, you may have to create it yourself as most don't have the knowledge or resources to pull it off.
    And we responded at the same time,

Ya, what he said. LOL

120 HARRY WALKER PKWY NORTH, UNIT 2, NEWMARKET ON
    Time Online: 2 Wks 23 Hrs 51 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 13 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Herve-D-Limit View Post
    Hello fellow wheelers.

I have noticed that there aren’t many offroad events in Ontario. There are the trail run gatherings such as Camp NL etc, the show N shines but there are no amateur technical events. The only technical event I have seen is King of the Shield but that looks to be at a very high level and it seems to be struggling to get enough participants.
    The other thing I have heard of on a more amateur level are mud bogs but they are not technical.
    Maybe I am not aware of other events that go on?

In Spain we have a number of small Trial events around the country. They are technical and fun. They usually have different categories which go by tire size or rollcage equipped etc. They are not a race and more focused on points. Rules tend to vary but in general you lose points for going reverse, going outside the limits of the course and getting stuck. As its not a race you can take it easy and not destroy your rig.
    Courses can be man made with machines or natural, depending on what is available.
    Herve
    Head on over to the Throttle Happy Forums and search "CrawlFest". We sponsored and competed in the event this past May. The promoter is planning to host the same event this coming year. Everyone involved had a great time so I'm sure it will grow! The course was well designed - everything from a stock rig to full blown buggy could compete. The "easier" lines were a further distance to travel than the "harder" lines, so you paid a time penalty if you ran the easier section of course.

TMR CUSTOMS - THE BRANDS YOU WANT FROM THE GUYS YOU TRUST!

120 Harry Walker Pkwy N, Newmarket ON, L3Y 7B2 - www.tmrcustoms.ca - 905 235 8671 - sales@tmrcustoms.com

My Mood
    Daring
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 12 Hrs 50 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 24 Secs
    It can all start with just two rigs....word spreads quick.

Case and point, Canada Jeep Show this sumer in Brantford. (Well done guys).
    Started with a forum post and up with a ton of attendance, cool prizes and a baseline for next year.
    93 YJ - Stock 2.5L inline 4, 4" Rough Country Lift, 1.5" Shackles, 33" BFG's, SYE yet to be installed, Raptor Liner Sprayed, CB, Stereo that goes BooM, Aussie locker front, XJ solid shafts, tube fenders by Tubular Metalworx, 8500lb winch, Garvin swing away tire carrier and clearly far too much time on my hands. No roof, no doors and two screaming kids in the back.

Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 18 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 49 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibbles View Post
    Heya

There use to be the ontario rock crawl competitions but since some people are complaining about noise from the host site they have been cancelled.

The most difficult part of getting these events going is property to conduct such an event followed by a close second reason of lack of volunteers to run the event. The OF4WD has insurance coverage for such events so basically those are the two main reasons we lack these events in Ontario.

If you find something or hear about a potential property willing do do such an event let us know and we know some people who would look into holding the event and have experience in it.

Known mud bog events
    Cambelford Fair
    Millbrook fair

See the OF4WD events calander for their next event, usually May and July sometime.

Hope this helps
    ok so you are an organization that already has insurance for an event like this and lots of members on of OF4WD and you have access to forums like this and i'm sure there could be land to use somewhere in southern Ontario for such event . i know about a few abandon gravel quarries around the Milton area. i once spoke to peter wood about this as well but it went no farther then that conversation . my question is why would the OF4WD not try to put on an event like what is being asked in this thread ?
    I thought life handed you lemons..... who the phuk is throwing them at my head !!!

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 28 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by lemon View Post
    my question is why would the OF4WD not try to put on an event like what is being asked in this thread ?
    I'd question why that should be up to the OF4WD? I'd like to see their volunteer time focused on staying their current path of land use issues. Why can't any member or member club put on such an event?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Mins 55 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibbles View Post
    The most difficult part of getting these events going is property to conduct such an event
    This...

As has been said, there has been various events in various places over the years but each one has ceased to operate/exist due to, for the most part, loss of the property where the event was being held.

Port Perry was a fun event, I took the whole family and the kids absolutely loved it...unfortunately, from my understanding, the property owner was forced to cease operation after a user group (not the 4wd crowd) took it upon themselves to cause some issues for the town...the way I understand it the town (responding to resident complaints) was pretty much looking for a reason to shut him down and the incident in question was the perfect opportunity.

Parry Sound, I never had the opportunity to attend but heard it was always a good time, was used as a fund raiser for the camp where the event was held...my understanding, due to local residents taking issue with the noise (to the point of hiring a sound measuring crew to set up at their homes/cottages to record sound levels during the event) and in response to those complaints the town shut it down.

The suggestion that there must be land somewhere in southern ontario to host such an event is probably a pipe dream...although the land might be available and the owner might wish to host an event, it is highly unlikely the owner would receive approval from the town/region/etc. (let's not even talk about regulatory groups such as the Niagara Escarpment Commission or the various Conservation Authorities <--- you would be surprised how much private land is under their regulation and what kind of hoops you LEGALLY SHOULD have to jump through to even build something as simple as a shed on your own property in these areas).

Is there private land available for events in "Southern" Ontario, certainly...I can think of at least 3 events every year that are held on private land, but based on stipulations already in place by the land owners/organizers for these existing events, I would be confident in saying an event like you describe would not be held on those properties.

As for the liability and insurance issues...that is easily handled, as Sibbles pointed out, the OF4WD has insurance coverage, Jeepkings also has insurance coverage for their events, and there is at least one other organization (I will not name them here, they can come along and name themselves if they wish) that has coverage for their events. Acquiring your own insurance coverage for an event (if you don't want to or are unable to make use of one of the existing policies) is as simple as calling Jones Brown Motorsport Insurance (the only insurance of this kind available in Canada) and ponying up in the neighbourhood of $3000 to $5000 (sometimes more based on the event) for coverage.

Don't want to be negative because I would love to see more events like this, it's just that history has proven these types of events are difficult to get off the ground.
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 58 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 40 Secs
    Toronto's Annual Coke Plant Barbie Jeep Race!

97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 18 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 49 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    I'd question why that should be up to the OF4WD? I'd like to see their volunteer time focused on staying their current path of land use issues. Why can't any member or member club put on such an event?
    groups like the OF4WD are leaders in the offroad community and would more likely to get the use of land just like the OFSC does every year. plus they are one of the largest representatives of offroading in Ontario and work very closely with the MNR . CTD is also right anyone should be able to do this but what is lacking is leadership for something like this . i was inquiring about the quarries a few years ago but as a lone nobody i didn't get far with it. i started a thread at that time but it also went no ware. jeepkings has almost 13000 members and if even 10% were on board with this i'm sure we could make something happen .

CTD NUT is correct in stating that the OF4WD focuses on recreational use and public land trails access rights as a primary objective. However some of our volunteers and board members have experience in running rock crawl events in the past so its definetly with in the grasp providing we had enough volunteers to run the event.

Some of the folks from nickle 4X4 ran an event in a quarry a couple years ago up in Sudburry with pretty good sucess. Like someone mentioned here, they knew of a quarry they could use and had some leadership in planning the event to get it off the ground. The OF4WD insurance plans, one of which is Jones Brown and a second that covers all the stuff Jones Brown doesn't is very well blended to insure such events including coverage for orgainzers. I think I saw a quote of $3000 to get insurance on your own however what these guys ended up doing was asking the OF4WD for assistance. Because of the way our insurance is written and has appendecies it allows us to add groups like this very easily for about 1/8th the cost making it a viable solution to running an event. And with the extra coverage for event planners and volunteers it really helps with peace of mind for eveyone.

Currently I know of three private land sites that would love to have events on their properties however they are being pounded back by noise complaints and municipal paperwork. Seems like people in the north constantly complain about not having any money or tourism but their representing polititions put so much red tape up its impossible to get events up and running in some places.

If anyone wants to orgainze such an event and knows of a place the OF4WD board of directors will be more then happy to give you everything needed to make it happen. The organization has members whom have done this before whom we can put you in touch with and gain some valuable knowledge from them. Sponsors of the Organization would also love to see this happen as well and are always great supporters. Send anyone an email found here, http://www.of4wd.com/BOD.asp

My Mood
    Amazed
    WOW great news and information!!!! I was expecting negative info such as it cant be done because of ..... My main concern was insurance but this seems to be covered....

Well I have some experience in organising these events and I have participated in countless events like the ones I have posted. So I have a pretty good idea of what it takes. The fact I see all this support has really got me going. I just need to do some thinking and planning and if things fall into place, maybe I can get something together. Lets see what happens

Thank you for all the replies. If more questions come up I will ask around

Time Online: 4 Days 8 Hrs 39 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 21 Secs
    To my knowledge, Nickel4x4 had another competition this fall. The organizer made a post on Greatlakes4x4, but was unable to drum up any real interest.
    Jamie

My Mood
    Daring
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 12 Hrs 50 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 24 Secs
    I would gladly volunteer my time and resources to make something happen.