Thread: 35" tire quandry

Time Online: 3 Days 9 Hrs 16 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs

35" tire quandry

Ok, for anyone that knows me, I do a lot of research on a topic before I ask. Except about tuners, I was lazy that day. I am hearing varying opinions regarding types of lifts to clear 35" tires. I am keeping stock rims (4.5 offset). I will not need re-gearing as it's 6 speed JKU. Some brands say they can accommodate a 35" tire like; Daystar 2.75" combo kit($300), spacers and no shocks, BDS says 3" suspension lift is needed for 35" tires($700). I have read on many forums that people are OK with budget boost and don't have issues. I will not be doing any hard-core wheeling, just the mild JK101 type trails. A lot of it is for looks, plus I need new tires soon anyway. I will be keeping my fenders stock as well. Some lift kits have spacers and shocks, and some with spacers and springs. If I am to upgrade any suspension component, it is springs or shocks? Are wheel spacers required(I know these are taboo)? What are the drawbacks of keeping stock suspension with 35" tires? I'd like to keep the budget under $500.

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 23 Secs
    I put a 2" Teraflex BB in a buddies 2012 2-dr JK about a year and a half ago, and it was available with and without shocks. He got the one without, because it's cheaper. I don't think that is wise, as he quickly tops out the stock shocks once it's flexed even a bit off road.

However it also rubs just a little with the sway bar disconnected on tougher trails. We ran The Rock and Greens last summer, and that's where he saw rubbing issues.

I can also pretty much tell you your stock wheels don't have 4.5" backspacing.

Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 2 Hrs 55 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 3 Secs
    If your going to lift it and run the stock rims you will need to run 1.5" wheel spacers or get 4.5 back spaced rims. Your stock rims I believe are 6.25bs. Nothing wrong with spacers as long as they are from a reputable company and are installed properly and checked periodically.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    09 Rubicon Unlimited
    RK 3.5 lift on 37" Toyos
    Lots of other stuff

OF4WD #6644

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 3 Days 19 Hrs 52 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 21 Secs
    I ran 2" skyjacker coil spacers and skyjacker hydro 7000 shocks with 35" MTZ on rugged ridge rims for a year it rubbed yes.. pulled a few of the plastic rivets out of the flares but who cares... i did every trail i wanted to with ease... on the street your fine lots of room its only when flexing offroad and if you only go twice a year who cares...

Youll find companies and many forums tell you stuff because they dont want you coming back complaining that a tire rubbed once so they said go a full 3" or what not to cover their ass!

I know guys with 2.5`` lift running 37`s ...
    2012 JKU Sahara, SD HP60 Front, GM 14 Bolt shaved rear, 5.38s, locked/Spooled, 4 link front 3 link rear, Oris, TR Double Beadlocks, 42" tsl sx2, PSC Full Hydro, D3 bumpers, D3 skids, D3 Rock Rails, D3 Cage, and lots more...
    OF4WD #5252

35" tire quandry

Would there be any benefit to upgrade(if it is one) coils to Rubi take-offs? Found some on eBay for $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35" tire quandry

BDS dealer near Buffalo strongly recommended not to do 35" tire with 2" spring lift....

My Mood
    Lurking

35" tire quandry

Here's some general knowledge when it comes to 2" spring lift vs 2" budget boost

A budget boost won't give you a true 2" loft usually because for one not many spacers are really 2" and two your stock spring rate is very soft once u add any gear in the jeep it sags way down..

Now a 2" coil loft when new will net more then 2" from most company's and sag down to 1.75" over time but also will handle the extra weight of offroad gear better then stock springs.

Rubi springs will do nothing for you they will net like 0.75" of lift it's pointless

That pic there is a 3.5" lift with 37" tires and your telling me you need atleast a 3" lift for 35s?

If you never want to rub your factory flares then. Yes 3" of lift with extended bump stops is necessary to limit up travel if you don't care about a little rubbing sometimes or you want flat fenders then no you don't need to go that high!

Anything 3" or taller on a 2912 jk and new you need to upgrade front drive shaft because when disconnected it hits exhaust you can buy cheap ass spacers for the exhaust but then your Rzeppa cv joints fail on you so there is no way around it so take all these things into consideration

Stay under 3" cut the flares or buy bushwhacker flares and rock your 35 with no rubbing at all or put up with a little tire rub from time to time you said you don't wheel hard people are telling you they won't fit because under extreme flex situations they will rub

My Mood
    Lurking

35" tire quandry

There's a comparison shot top mine 5" of lift on 38.5s I can fit 40s easily with the right bump stops probably even 42 with correct backspacing and steering stops

Bottom my buddy 3.5" with 37s fits perfectly in fenders in my opinion

35" tire quandry

Thanks, I decided that I'm getting the 2" BDS. I figure why not upgrade shocks and coils with a quality product once. It will make towing our boat and hauling gear better too. Plus we are not small people. I greatly appreciate your advice! U rock!

My Mood
    Lurking
    glad to help i have never ran BDS or been offroad with anyone who runs them so let me know what the ride quality is like!

35" tire quandry

It was highly recommended as it has one of the best warranties in the business. I'll let you know how it all goes!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 36 Secs

Re: 35" tire quandry

A friend of mine has a bds 3" lift on his jku and loves it. Says it rides like a dream off road.

You will want to make sure you are extending your bump stops I don't know if the kit comes with em or not. I ran a 2" ome hd lift (so closer to 3") on my jk but didn't touch the bump stops, I ended up ripping the rear fenders off with the 35s I ran.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.