Thread: The DXXJ

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 28 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
    @Mud ...lol

@ Cheyne. Just the oem setup. I dont see ever using that much juice at a steady rate or without the Jeep running in most cases. It's more of a "when needed only" install. Compressor runs at 3a so even thats what <50 watts? Back in the day i've run +3000 watt in stereo equipment in a civic with little ill- effects. I'm gonna take the 8ga i have going to my ham and use it, run the ham thru the spod instead. If it becomes a regular use item i'll add a couple spare batteries in the back on an isolator
    Ok. I'm not sure what compressor you are referring to. As far as wiring for the inverter goes, you should look into the manufacturers recommendation. Like stereo amps, the gauge is critical especially when considering the length it has to run. Most inverters are around 80% efficient and the surge ratings are all over the place. Speaking from experience wiring a couple of inverters, 8 gauge will not work...at all. I run a 1000W inverter in our camper and it is required to be wired with 2/0. The reasoning is that the wire must be good for the max surge wattage multiplied by the efficiency of the inverter and with the lowest acceptable voltage loss (>3%) because this is what is referred to as a critical circuit. Such circuits will not tolerate a 10% voltage loss. The inverter will just shut down in surge conditions.

As an example for the 1000W installation, this particular inverter had surge rating of 2000W and is 80% efficient. That means it is going to pull 20% more power than what it delivers. In this case, a total of 2400W which is 200 amps at 12V. So, even that measly 1000W inverter needs 200 AMP cabling.

Now consider the requirements for an inverter with 3 times the power output potential. Surge ratings are all over the place but even if it is only 4000W, that means it is going to require 400 amp cabling! (4000W x 1.2 / 12 = 400 Amps)
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
    http://www.dewalt.com/tools/compress...ic-d55140.aspx

that's the compressor i'll be carrying, good enuf for tire top-offs

i don't ever see actually needing a full 3000w...ever...but i've always been of the belief that most times too much is better than not enough lol
    i got into this HUGE arguement once with a guy about amps on another site. he kept on about 100w amps and speakers to match etc, whereas i believe in overpowering shyt. if i have a 700w sub i want a 1200w amp. why? because i can crank the amp down, keep it way down below the thd levels, never throw any noise at it and it'll last forever
    Unless you already have the 3000W inverter, you may want to reconsider as the circuit requirements can get a little crazy. I'm all for a little overkill as well but adding a little logic every now and then isn't out of the question. lol

As for the compressor, 2.6 amps @ 120V is 312W. Since that motor probably doesn't have a soft start function, double the amps for the initial start/surge. So, more like 624W.

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 20 Hrs 9 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 51 Secs

The DXXJ

Shyt my math was way off wasn't it, i was going on 12v not 120v. Oops . I still have a length of 0ga i'll use instead Cheyne as ya i do already have the invertor.
    As always sir, much thanx for the logistical input. You're handy to have around
    '99 XJ Sport - Black - BUILD THREAD
    '13 Ram 1500 QC - Black Gold

Shocker #5
    OF4WD #8158

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Try to get the inverter specs / wire requirements. It is very unlikely that 0 gauge is enough. Probably more like 3/0 depending on the length of the circuit.

Blue Sea is an excellent resource for mobile electrical tech and products. They specialize in marine but everyone in the RV, expedition and the 4x4 world use them. Have a look here for choosing wire: https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1437

The circuit wizard is a great calculator that they offer and goes well beyond just calculating amps /gauge/length: http://circuitwizard.bluesea.com/

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 58 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 40 Secs
    Interesting. I as well have a crappy tire inverter. I hooked it up with cheap jumpers and a small wire from ground to the mini ground?? and it wouldn't even run a small coffee maker. Kept saying error or something. Think the cable was the issue? If so what gauge do think? Sorry for the sort of thread jack

97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

My Mood
    Buzzed
    It's very possible, Curt. It is common for the wiring requirements for an inverter to be underestimated. If the output requirement of the inverter exceeds the available input power, it will typically go into protection mode and shut down. This is occurrence is common when the surge load of an appliance is underestimated. If wiring will not support the surge load, the inverter shuts down even though it is rated to run the given load.

Without more info on the surge rating of the inverter, it is reasonable to suggest that ithe wiring may have to support 250+ amps. This puts you in the 2/0 - 3/0 cable territory depending on the length of the circuit. Far higher capacity than most jumper cables.

Time Online: 5 Mths 4 Days 9 Hrs 33 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 41 Secs
    Marty where do you plan on putting the power inverter? I have a 1000W and I think mine is going to go under the back seat.

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 20 Hrs 9 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 51 Secs

The DXXJ

Off the floor for me . I still dont plan on back seats so im gonna build storage thru the back end. Still in the planning stages but a compartment for electrics like inverter, ham radio etc. another for tools. Spare axles/steering etc. compressor toward the rear.

As far as the inverter i think im gonna do 4 runs of 0 on batt clamps for now... Like jumper cables but with a little more current capabilities. If i find that still doesnt do the trick ill add a couple of 6v golfcart batteries split on an isolater.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 13 Hrs 12 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 20 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
    Marty where do you plan on putting the power inverter? I have a 1000W and I think mine is going to go under the back seat.
    I put mine under the rear seat 6 years ago and have never had an issue with it under there. page 1 at the bottom has my install
    http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...light=chericon
    #20OF4WD#3476

"Will roll over for treats"

97 XJ on 36's (with a few mods)

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 31 Secs
    cool seats ...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..