Thread: Looking to buy 1998 cherokee xj, is it something to try?

Time Online: 4 Days 15 Hrs 17 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Secs

Looking to buy 1998 cherokee xj, is it something to try?

Started with a love for yjs, never found one and now being older I realize a yj will not cut it very well when it comes to snowmobiling trips, hauling a trailer, seating 4 plus space, so ive moved on to xjs. The lady friend and I are looking to buy an xj together to get up to snuff (roadworthy stock condition first, then mods later). She loves jeeps, I love jeeps, I want a jeep and I want a project vehicle bad and so does she, and we both want to get our hands filthy.

In the long run, we hope it will become a weekend wheeler, around 4 inches of lift, 31s or 32s, sye, locked front diff and limited slip rear, tow package to tow snowmobiles and trailering light stuff like that. for now however, we just want stock and roadworthy and want a project to do that, a minor project.

We are going to combine our cash for this and I thought this xj would be a decent starter. A few trips to Kenny u pull in Hamilton (I am in Burlington) and I expect to have this thing almost roadworthy.

It may need rockers, waiting to hear back from him regarding floor pans, ball joints and u joints and whatever else he says it will need for safety.

Tell me what you guys think, yay or nay, we have about 1500 saved up at the moment, but I am selling a sled so that could double in due time, but like I said I want a project right now, not something that comes in roadworthy condition out of box, but something that needs minor work. Thanks guys.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ573221588

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 20 Hrs 9 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 51 Secs
    looks interesting...

definitely crawl under and have a look at the floors. depending on the rocker situation (hard to tell from the pics) be ready to either fix or do the 2x6 swap. i like the hand-crank windows, less electrical to worry about
    i'm doing the headlight swap soon so i'll have a couple spare headlights (providing it's not electrical issue)
    231 t/c so a SYE is possible compared to a hack-n-tap
    doesn't sound like it'll run w/o a water pump so be prepared for a full engine swap just in case, i've seen a few going for the $500 range from part-out n wrecker ads

i do have a few "rebuild" parts on standby tho (including new waterpump...i was planning a full rebuild on mine)

i'll also prob be able to save ya a few $ once i start my lift...i just replaced a few tie-rods on mine for safety (-500km) so if there's anything coming off you're welcome to it
    Last edited by Whiplash; 03-10-2014 at 10:31 PM.
    '99 XJ Sport - Black - BUILD THREAD
    '13 Ram 1500 QC - Black Gold

Shocker #5
    OF4WD #8158

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 17 Hrs 41 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 37 Secs
    No cruise control. No fog lights. I paid $800 for my 2 door with cruise, and I spent about $3,000 on parts (doing the labour myself) just to get it running/driving good and safe. You will spend much more than you think.
    Angelo
    1998 Jeep Cherokee - 2dr, 4.0, Auto, 231 4x4
    1980 MGB - 3.4V6, T5 transmission, Ford 8.8 posi.
    1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby - t-tops, 5 speed, 2.2 intercooled turbo

What is the 2x6 swap? Yea I like the hand crank windows too but I mean I get what I get if I get this thing. Ill settle for power windows if it means I can finally wrench on a jeep with my lady. If the low beam on one light is out doesnt that mean the bulb is bad? What is the headlight swap? Ok well ill ask him if the engine ran before water pump gave out and if the engine dont run without the pump then ill see what Kenny u pull or any other jeepkings members have before parting it out. Ok thanks whiplash ill keep ya in mimd if I bring this thing home. Thanks.
    "Stephanie", the 95 yj 4.0, 1.5" lift & 31's. I gave that ditch a jeep. Ditches love jeeps.
    OF4WD #8306

But did it look good when you bought it? Because if I go take a look at this thing and see it has a nice undercarriage with minor rust and it starts and runs (minus water pump) and is in overall decent shape, then I dont think I would spend very much, unless for some reason things like motor suddenly blows, tranny blows, ball joint fails or whatever. What im saying is if it looks good, I wont be so ending as much down the line as I would be if it looked bad.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonjeep101 View Post
    What is the 2x6 swap? Yea I like the hand crank windows too but I mean I get what I get if I get this thing. Ill settle for power windows if it means I can finally wrench on a jeep with my lady. If the low beam on one light is out doesnt that mean the bulb is bad? What is the headlight swap? Ok well ill ask him if the engine ran before water pump gave out and if the engine dont run without the pump then ill see what Kenny u pull or any other jeepkings members have before parting it out. Ok thanks whiplash ill keep ya in mimd if I bring this thing home. Thanks.
    2x6 swap is where you cut out the rockers completely and replace with steel tubing (weld in). good thing is it also acts as armor
    one low out "could" be a wiring issue as well, ya really don't know til ya swap out the light or throw a meter on the plug
    headlight swap = i'm going to the H4 kit so my present rectangles will be getting replaced with housings and bulbs
    i'll also be pulling my lower front fascia with the fogs/plastic bits...fogs aren't working atm so i think i'll be ditching that mess too

i dropped $1000 on mine but body was really solid. then i dropped another $2K into getting it safetied, tho i did replace everything that prob didn't need to be replaced (all tie rods (one was gone), all ball joints...depends on where ya wanna go n how ya wanna get there )

Ok gotcha. Thanks whiplash. 2x6 will be a later mod, I think if someone on jk or Kenny u pull has a decent rocker ill throw it on till I feel like doing the 2x6 mod down the line. Im going to try and get away without replacing ball and u joints for the time being if they're okay as it sits, once I rack up the cash to mod and lift then ill most likely do it.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 4 Wks 17 Hrs 49 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 50 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonjeep101 View Post
    I realize a yj will not cut it very well when it comes to snowmobiling trips, hauling a trailer, seating 4 plus space, so ive moved on to xjs. ]
    Without some deep regear the XJ isn't going to tow 2 sleds on a trailer with 4 people in it very well, especially on 31's!

I towed 2 race dirtbikes (much lighter then a sled) in a tiny trailer with just 2 people and you can really feel the drag bad... and that was only on country roads not the 400 series.
    OF4WD MEMBER# 6656

Re: Looking to buy 1998 cherokee xj, is it something to try?

Quote Originally Posted by sk8snwmx View Post
    Without some deep regear the XJ isn't going to tow 2 sleds on a trailer with 4 people in it very well, especially on 31's!

I towed 2 race dirtbikes (much lighter then a sled) in a tiny trailer with just 2 people and you can really feel the drag bad... and that was only on country roads not the 400 series.
    I know it isnt great for towing but its better than a yj.

My Mood
    Daring
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 12 Hrs 43 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 25 Secs
    there is NOTHING better than a Yj....wash your mouth out.
    93 YJ - Stock 2.5L inline 4, 4" Rough Country Lift, 1.5" Shackles, 33" BFG's, SYE yet to be installed, Raptor Liner Sprayed, CB, Stereo that goes BooM, Aussie locker front, XJ solid shafts, tube fenders by Tubular Metalworx, 8500lb winch, Garvin swing away tire carrier and clearly far too much time on my hands. No roof, no doors and two screaming kids in the back.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 2 Days 8 Hrs 45 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 24 Secs
    500 for a 98 with only 245k. and a free tow home.... what are you waiting for??
    proud OF4WD member #3875

Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 2 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 12 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by caged View Post
    500 for a 98 with only 245k. and a free tow home.... what are you waiting for??
    The add either seems sketchy to me or like someone has a bit too much time on their hands lol.

Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 1 Min 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 52 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy17 View Post
    there is NOTHING better than a Yj....wash your mouth out.
    Agreed!!
    But he did state he was older now, maybe he's in his carlsburg years already.
    I thought life handed you lemons..... who the phuk is throwing them at my head !!!

Quote Originally Posted by pippilongstocking View Post
    The add either seems sketchy to me or like someone has a bit too much time on their hands lol.
    just a guy with a sense of humor me thinx

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 17 Hrs 41 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 37 Secs
    For $500, I wouldn't expect much - that's about scrap price. Its easy to say "i'm not going to spend money on it", but in reality you want to drive a safe vehicle. You also have to pass a safety inspection. When I got mine I knew the rockers were rusty, the front u-joints needed to be replaced, the rear wiper didn't work, the electric fan was seized, it didn't have fog lights. When I started to work on it I realized I needed new front hubs (I think I paid $500 just for the hubs), rear brakes and hardware, wipers, rad hoses, t-stat, gaskets, and a lot more. I think I paid $12 for each front u-joint, but then I had to buy a 12 point 13mm socket and (I think) a 36mm socket - I consider tools an investment and are not included in the $3k i spent in parts, but you also have to keep the cost of tools in mind. It all adds up.