Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel shake

Time Online: 22 Hrs 5 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs

Steering wheel shake

I have a 2013 JKUR. I installed the rough country 2.5 spacer kit last July. I had 15000 on it when I installed it, I now have 36000. I had no issues with the install and no issues with a wobble til about a week ago. I noticed when I hit a bump my steering wheel shakes back and forth for a second or so. Then on my way home from work driving down Bathurst at st Clair I dodged a pothole and it seemed to shake a bit longer. When I got home I put the front on jack stands and checked ball joints, tie rods and tried to tighten my track bar, but couldn't budge it. I don't have a torque wrench to torque it 125lbs. Does anybody have any ideas. I gotta drive my wife and daughter up north on Sunday and not sure if the jeep is safe to drive them. I never got an alignment after I installed it.

Any ideas?
    2013 JK Unlimited Rubicon

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 21 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth with the engine off and get under the jeep and observe the track bar for any play in the bushings.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth with the engine off and get under the jeep and observe the track bar for any play in the bushings.
    Tried that already

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Well, if you have satisfied your suspension and steering are in good shape with no loose components, swap/rotate tires front to back and see what happens on those same spots on the road.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 3 Hrs 23 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 54 Secs
    Are you using a stock steering stabilizer, or aftermarket?
    Stock size tires or larger?
    There are worn parts in your front end steering and suspension which need to be looked at
    before you go for a drive up north. If unable to find the source of the issue, you should take it
    to a shop and have a technician look at it.

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 14 Hrs 12 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 49 Secs
    If nothing else, you should at least have the alignment checked, too much caster can cause issue too, although I doubt it's adjustable with the kit you have. Any unusual tire wear?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Day 3 Hrs 53 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    Make sure stabilizer is disconnected when doing the steering test.... That will help you see the motion.... Mine was in ball joints and alignment.

Stock tires and stabilizer. I do have uneven tire wear on the front, but I had the same on my stock 2011 JKUR.

I just left the garage and they said it's the stabilizer. Ball joints and tie rods are good. Is it safe to be driving on highway for a couple of hours.?

My Mood
    Buzzed
    A worn out steering stabilizer is NEVER the source of death wobble. It may help mask a pre-existing problem by dampening the effects of the steering shimmy felt in the steering wheel but it is not the cause of it. Worn steering or suspension joints/bushings (usually the track bar) are usually the problem followed by alignment that is way off followed by tires that are wearing poorly or have bad carcasses.

Frequently, a quick and simple way to rule out tires is to rotate them front to back.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Personally, I would be ok with driving a vehicle that has a mild death wobble issue down the highway a couple of hours but that is just me. I wouldn't be terribly happy about it but I have driven enough miles in different vehicles over the years with death wobble that I wouldn't let it stop me from going where I need to go. I realize some people find it very unnerving and that is certainly understandable.

Severe cases of death wobble can be another story but your description of the symptoms doesn't sound like you are anywhere close to that point just yet.

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Time Online: 8 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 4 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 31 Secs
    Dont forget to check the rear trackbar......espesially if your kit came with a trackbar relocation bracket instead of a rear adjustablr track bar. Thats an easy check as well. Need 2 people, one to push/pull the jeep side to side by grippjng the end of the rear bumper, other to look for any slight movement at tne TB bushings or relocate bracket.

re check the front, put your finger at the trackbsr bushings and bolts.....if you feel any movement, rebush, retorqe bolts. Minor DW will yield only little moveme t at the TB that you may only be able to feel

its always the trackbars. Even if a all new steering components are installed, it may seem better, but you will notice those new parts wont last long and DW will be back....worse.
    03 Rubicon with stuff to make it gooder

"Bite my Shiny Metal ass!"

Retread #19

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 9 Hrs 57 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 46 Secs
    I haven't had my SS on since last fall and I get the same thing over potholes, just a bit of steering wheel shake and vibrations. Nothing close to DW, it only lasts a second or two..
    OF4WD #7759

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 4 Wks 17 Hrs 49 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 49 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
    I never got an alignment after I installed it. Any ideas?
    ^ theres 'an idea' of how the problem got started lol... lifting even only 2" is going to change a whole lot of angles, wearing out bushing, joints, tires etc.
    OF4WD MEMBER# 6656

Time Online: 2 Wks 11 Hrs 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 11 Secs
    Tie rods need to be checked with the wheels on the ground.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 37 Secs

Re: Steering wheel shake

Quote Originally Posted by just_in View Post
    Tie rods need to be checked with the wheels on the ground.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Same with the Track bars.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 3 Days 19 Hrs 52 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 21 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
    Stock tires and stabilizer. I do have uneven tire wear on the front, but I had the same on my stock 2011 JKUR.
    You say uneven how does it look??

The fact that your stating it was fine for the last 25,000km or what ever makes me think that something is wearing out over time in the front end and now you are starting to see it!

Shop telling you its a stabalizer is bull, take it to a known jeep shop not some canadian tire garage to get a better inspection from guys who truely know jeeps!

My 2012 has had steering issues for the last year and a half but every time it has been something different!

First Issue: Installed rough country 3.5" lift came with drop pitman arm, their casting process quality sucks and it didnt fit the sector shaft on the box well, so the steering was all over the road and wobbly and scary, pulled that out and put factory pitman on with high steer flip kit instead.

Second Issue : front ujoints were shot and sticking and had play causing a vibration and shimmy at about 80-100km/h

Third issue : blown steering box play in the sector shaft and a feeling of a clunk in the steering wheel

Fourth issue: Bump steer after scrapping all rough country stuff and getting quality parts (mix matching parts gets confusing to make work together)

Fitfh Issue: Shimmy shake after pot holes or big bumper - This is NOT DW true death wobble causes you to stop driving, a shimmy or shake after a pothole is something out of balance or out of wack loose or worn.
    Got tires road force balanced which is not cheap like $400 and got a laser alignment and the jeep is driving like new again!

so over the months multiple different things have happened to my jeep and i have become sort of an expert on the front end of JKs now haha spent many hours and hundreds of dollars under there! If you want me to check it out sometime shoot me a PM and we can meet up
    2012 JKU Sahara, SD HP60 Front, GM 14 Bolt shaved rear, 5.38s, locked/Spooled, 4 link front 3 link rear, Oris, TR Double Beadlocks, 42" tsl sx2, PSC Full Hydro, D3 bumpers, D3 skids, D3 Rock Rails, D3 Cage, and lots more...
    OF4WD #5252

Time Online: 3 Days 15 Hrs 20 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Secs
    I 2nd the drop pitman arm, it puts a lot of stress on the sector shaft, I've had mine come loose twice. Putting a Hi steer now withOEM pitman arm. The nut I believe is torqued to 165 ftlbs not sure exactly. The thing I've seen is the upper travck bar bolt may seem tight but there is movement in the bushing, bushing sleeve 9/16 hole, frame hole 14mm & a 12mm bolt never stays tight. I've seen this ona 4 month old 2013 JKUR, the upper bushing was trashed. May be best to remove the track bar to have visual inspection of the the bushing, look for marks on the inside of the bushing. Hope it helps.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by YjJkJeep family View Post
    I 2nd the drop pitman arm, it puts a lot of stress on the sector shaft, I've had mine come loose twice. Putting a Hi steer now withOEM pitman arm. The nut I believe is torqued to 165 ftlbs not sure exactly. The thing I've seen is the upper travck bar bolt may seem tight but there is movement in the bushing, bushing sleeve 9/16 hole, frame hole 14mm & a 12mm bolt never stays tight. I've seen this ona 4 month old 2013 JKUR, the upper bushing was trashed. May be best to remove the track bar to have visual inspection of the the bushing, look for marks on the inside of the bushing. Hope it helps.
    Yup!

Pretty sure i torque my sector nut to 180ft/lbs

and everything else i got 130-140ft/lbs

many guys are replacing the factory bolts which are theaded the whole length is shoulder bolts 9/16" grade 8 i havent decided if i believe this is needed or not yet hahaha but its a thought

One very inportant thing to do after installing a lift kit on these is to loosen every single bolt under there control arms steering trac bar end links with the jeep on the ground give it a shake to let it all settle then torque everything! reason being the rubber bushing from factory are pinched by the arms and shit so you put a lot of stress on it if you dont loosen and retorque after lifting it! then check your alignment but for a 2" lift your alingment should be fine because i bet if its just spacers you really only ended up with 1.5" of lift which is nothing really more then likely you have a loose trac bar, or pitman arm, or shot steering box there cheap boxes with bushings now a days no bearings if you get the clunk in the steering wheel that more then likely your box

My Mood
    Lurking
    Read over this and keep tackling it youll get it fixed!

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3...n-Do-to-Fix-it