Thread: Lets talk seats

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 3 Days 19 Hrs 52 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 21 Secs

Lets talk seats

What suspension seats do you run and what is your opinion?
    about ready to buy some but seeing as no stores keep them in the show room to sit in im worried about making the wrong choice...

Mastercraft
    RPR
    Corbeau

anymore?

going to run a 4 point harness with them as well.

cheers
    2012 JKU Sahara, SD HP60 Front, GM 14 Bolt shaved rear, 5.38s, locked/Spooled, 4 link front 3 link rear, Oris, TR Double Beadlocks, 42" tsl sx2, PSC Full Hydro, D3 bumpers, D3 skids, D3 Rock Rails, D3 Cage, and lots more...
    OF4WD #5252

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 58 Secs
    Personally I have Beard seats. They were just as popular as Mastercraft back in the day but have since basically disappeared in Canada. I can tell you this once you own a set of suspension seats you will never want to sit in a stock seat again. They prevent kidney and lower back pain and allow you to control the vehicle so much better.

When it comes to harnesses mounting angles are key as improper ones will compress the spine in the case of an impact or roll. The biggest problem with harness is they do what they are designed to and do not allow you to move in the seat. In most vehicles this will prevent you from reaching heater controls. radio controls or lockers etc.

Another thing I see all to often are people who run full cages and still wear their stock belts on the road. Problem is the stock 3 point is designed in the case of a roll over to allow the upper torso to exit the belt to prevent being crushed. When you add or build to an existing cage you may have to potential to impact those added/different bars. Adding foam padding is designed to lesson the blow while protected not to protect against direct contact. Unfortunately over the years Ive seen some pretty serious injuries due to improper use of a cage and /or harness in many different motorsports.
    Last edited by RBJeepThing; 06-03-2014 at 04:20 PM.
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 21 Hrs 47 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 18 Secs
    TMR has a selection of seats in stock
    The OG HOISTWAGON
    99 XJ, CT Motorsports built, Tons, 37" MTR/Ks, TMR 3-link and Beadlocks, CrewFab Cage and Bumpers, PSC full hydro

120 HARRY WALKER PKWY NORTH, UNIT 2, NEWMARKET ON
    Time Online: 2 Wks 23 Hrs 51 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 13 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberlake View Post
    TMR has a selection of seats in stock
    Thanks Matt!

Come by our showroom to plant your ass in some suspension seats and pick what is best for you. We currently have 12 suspension seats in stock from both MasterCraft and Corbeau.

TMR CUSTOMS - THE BRANDS YOU WANT FROM THE GUYS YOU TRUST!

120 Harry Walker Pkwy N, Newmarket ON, L3Y 7B2 - www.tmrcustoms.ca - 905 235 8671 - sales@tmrcustoms.com

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 10 Hrs 4 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 59 Secs
    Mastercraft and 5 points

never looked back

My Mood
    Lurking
    looks like im making i drive out to see tim and mike haha

hey why dont you guys have them on your website? didnt even know you sell them!

Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 19 Hrs 17 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 7 Secs
    I have a PRP comp high back xt tall in the Toyoda. Great seat so far. Many many options on colours and fabric because there all custom order. Most of the options are free.

My back loves it, and makes those harder hits soft.

It's no daily driver so the high bolsters are no big deal. If was using a suspension seat in a dd I'd defiantly be looking at low bolster options. More so at the bottom/hips.

I took great care in mounting the seat, and the five point Corbeau belts. I followed Bill Vista's guide, and really happy I did.
    1991 Xj Gone to a new home.
    1948 willys Jeep pickup sitting and waiting.
    1984 toyota currently beating & building.

OF4WD #6069

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 17 Hrs 23 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 47 Secs
    Are these suspension seats mounted any lower than the stock ones?.....I have mine all the way down and could use a couple more inches(story of my life) down.
    OF4WD member #7498

Time Online: 6 Days 14 Hrs 27 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 32 Secs
    I have been looking at replacing my seats also. I have done some research into the different brands and the one thing that I found was how short some of them are made. I measured my stock seat and it was 36" from the seat to the top of the headrest. I read about many people finding the MasterCraft seats too short. Here is a list of seat heights from Pirate 4x4 (Link found here: suspension-seat-height-geometry-vs-neck-safety)

Beard Ultra - 32"
    Mastercraft Rubicon - 31"
    PRP Daily Driver (by phone from PRP) - 30"
    Corbeau Baja SS - 30" from floor to the top of the headrest, so maybe 27/28"?
    Twisted Stitch Apex - 32" floor to top, so maybe 29/30"?

Most of these seats would leave my head hanging in the air and without any support as seen in most of the pictures in the link above. My question is how well does the stock seat belt still work with these seats? Does it have to wrap around the bolsters of the seat or will it come through a slot?

I took a drive to Rockspyder and had a seat in his PRP seat and It was nice, at 6'1" I would opt for the extra 4" in height. While I was there I sat in someones Corbeau and they were not only shorter in height, but tighter in the waist and overall not as nice. I have read that you can order the Mastercraft seats with additional height but also added cost.

PRP DD with +4" with lumbar and heater $594
    MasterCraft Baja RS with lumbar and heater $659
    MasterCraft Sportsman with lumbar and heater $499

The Mastercraft Baja RS is reclining and the PRP is fixed.

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 21 Hrs 54 Mins 28 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 8 Secs
    I went with corbeau JP's just because of lack of space.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	97233
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by A-DAM JEEP; 06-04-2014 at 11:37 PM.

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 24 Secs
    I've been looking at seats for a while too, and if anyone is going to suggest a model of seat it makes sense to include their height (most do) and weight (most don't).

If you haven't met him, OP is a fit guy. A recommendation from a more Rubenesque poster might leave you with a seat you're swimming in.

Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 4 Hrs 31 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 4 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by hustler View Post
    I've been looking at seats for a while too, and if anyone is going to suggest a model of seat it makes sense to include their height (most do) and weight (most don't).

If you haven't met him, OP is a fit guy. A recommendation from a more Rubenesque poster might leave you with a seat you're swimming in.
    6'4" 300lbs , I have PRP suspension seats and love them , well built , comfortable and able to handle my large frame!

My Mood
    Lurking
    thanks for all the feedback this is a tough choice! as I also dont have a lot of room in my JK because I dont want to sacrafice rear seating area it was hard enough to make the harness bar on my cage tight enough to give the rear seat room as i often bring people along with me.

I spoke to both RPR mastercraft and corbeau on the phone the last few days... they all told me what their fav seat is for in a JK and everyones main question for me was, "Is this your DD" because of how much of a main it is to get in and out of high side bolsters... well no its just a toy jeep BUT when im on the trail i get in and out every 5 minutes to help spot buddies over crap... so maybe it should be considered like a DD

My only reason for wanting seats is comfort my lower back gets sore on the long drives in factory seat and getting tossed around on the trail i want a plush seat that hugs my sides to help with getting sore... (bad back from motorcross)

TMR said they have a bunch in the show room i need to drive out and try sitting in them and see

Many guys online have told me for Corbeau XP and dont look back unless its a DD because the high bolsters but its suppose to be unreal comfy... I sat in the mastercraft rubicons last weekend buddies jeep on greens and they were nice and plush but very low bolsters did not really hug my sides so thats a no go for me right there...

My concern with the XP seats is space... you can click build my jeep on corbeau website and they look massive inside the JK compared to the Baja SS so im thinking i might end up with it instead but would like to sit in it first

its a tough call! haha the cage and seats all have to work together for my comfort of its all a waste of time and money...

Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 19 Hrs 17 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 7 Secs
    One thing that was tuff to get rite was the height for the shoulder belts. If you buy a seat, and use the slots for the shoulder belts, they need to be parallel with your shoulders. The belts should go straight through to the attachment.

It's critical for the proper geometry that is what seats and belts are all about(other then comfort). I see this done wrong a lot.

If the belts are not parallel, or close to it, they compress you down into the seat on a front impact.
    Last edited by stickyken; 06-05-2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Spelling

My Mood
    Lurking
    good to know thanks! decisions decisions haha

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 58 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by stickyken View Post
    One thing that was tuff to get rite was the height for the shoulder belts. If you buy a seat, and use the slots for the shoulder belts, they need to be parallel with your shoulders. The belts should go straight through to the attachment.

It's critical for the proper geometry that is what seats and belts are all about(other then comfort). I see this done wrong a lot.

If the belts are not parallel, or close to it, they compress you down into the seat on a front impact.
    up to 10* is acceptable. Below is a good diagram of safety standards that most tested and approved racing bodies use.

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 58 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 40 Secs
    I did a lot a researching on seats and came across quite a few posts of people who have ran and/or installed lots of various kinds. Not sure how often you wheel or cruise exposed to the elements with top and doors off but it seems the mastercrafts take a lot more of a beating then PRP's, Twisted Stitch, etc. All that said i'm running a pair of $30 junkyard mazda's. lol. There's some pretty nice OEM options that have the space to put 4/5 points in the right location.
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax