Thread: removing Valve Body 42re Case harness electrical connector won't budge

Hybrid View

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 44 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs

Red face FIXED!!! removing Valve Body 42re Case harness electrical connector won't budge

ok this is a real request for information because all my online searches came up empty

ok I have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 I6 that I am replacing the solenoids and sensors on as well as the wire harness.

At this point fluid drained.
    Pan dropped
    All required wire connections removed outside of transmission
    Throttle lever off
    shift linkage off
    inside governor valve body off
    all bolts out of vale body required to hold valve body in removed
    valve body now moves around as do the throttle and shift linkage shaft

here is the problem the Case harness electrical connector is just supposed to be pushed down into the housing and come out with the valve body but it will not budge and has been pried down on well moving valve body but no dice it just does not want to move now a little mangled ( good thing I am replacing the wire harness). I have soaked it with penetrating oil and break cleaner on the outside to help free it up but no dice as well

Dodge/Chrysler 42RE Transmission -
    Identifying External Components -
    Left (Driver's) Side:

1: Throttle valve shaft. Connects via cable to the throttle body on engine.

2: Manual shaft. Connects to gearshift linkage.

3: Hole for park/neutral switch. The manual lever is directly behind this hole.

4: Case harness electrical connector.

5: Front band clutch adjustment screw/nut.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mxatvb17amu_valve_body_93_Dakota.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	97515

number 4 in the Picture

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mxatvb25a_valve_body_93_Dakota.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	97516

this is what it looks like removed minus the broken clamp bracket I guess you can call it.

( pictures not of my jeep but best shows what I am talking about. )

the site I got the picture form the person said he just pried the valve body down and broke this before realizing that pressure from the top would avoid that from happening. now my question is can I do the same thing to get the valve body out ( I know stupid idea ) seeing as this art is being replaced or is there a better way???

there is not much room to reach in and pry

P.S for those who know yes my eyes are much better today but still sore so the project on hold for a while

UPDATE IT IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by ferretman; 06-20-2014 at 04:21 PM. Reason: back on the road
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    I have no problem buying the beer but need a ride to the beer store.

valve body out all new components installed wire harness installed now ready to reinstall valve body tomorrow ( Dang Sprag )

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 12 Hrs 58 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 36 Secs
    well let us know how it turned out, i tried to see if i could find something but came up empty.....
    a learning experience is one of those things that says, you know that thing you just did...don't do that again.

Quote Originally Posted by cheezballz View Post
    well let us know how it turned out, i tried to see if i could find something but came up empty.....
    Well I broke the old connector in the same place as in the picture and had to use a hammer and screwdriver to break out the old eletrical connector from the housing even with cleaning around the connector with break cleaner and a wire brush it would still not budge and that is why i wanted to replace all the solenoids, sensors and wire harness. Now you see why i asked for help because there is not very much information online for the 42re transmission. now to get the valve body back in but the dang sprag rod ( edit : Park lock rod is the proper name. the sprag is located down in the tail of the transmission) is being a pain so thinking remove the park lock rod from the valve body get it into place and hook it up to the valve body once it is up and in position before i tighten anything down.

the park lock rod is a pain because you have to keep it down low in the transmission as you slide it in of it can go into the wrong opening and the rod could be bent and would have to be replaced.
    Last edited by ferretman; 06-20-2014 at 11:17 AM. Reason: correcting terminolagy

this is the write up that I used to pull the valve body

http://www.handymanlyness.com/archiv...93_Dakota.html

yes it is for a 93 Dakota but still the same transmission.

update.......

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!! great news my jeep is back on all fours and shifting like a dream so far !!!!

I would recommend that anyone else doing this that you remove the park rod from the valve body and install it first then before shifting the valve body into place re connect the park rod it only took me about 5 seconds and the E clip was back in place and a rubber mallet helps to seat the electrical connector

but anyway one jeep back on the road

thanks to those that did help and those who didn't