Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My TMR customs TJ long arm upgrade! PIC HEAVY

Time Online: 17 Hrs 27 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs

Talking My TMR customs TJ long arm upgrade! PIC HEAVY

Hey guys! The time has come for my TMR long arm kit install. This is by far the biggest project I've taken on so preeeeety I'm fired up to do this :2thumbsup:
    If I'm doing something dumb, or missing/overlooking something please let me know! :cheers2: I'm taking my time and making sure I'm doing everything properly... lots of reading has been done prior to pulling the trigger on this.

****To skip the BS and see all the pictures... heres the album link! http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/sl...?sort=3&page=1****

So the details!
    I'm using these two kits:
    http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/inde...oducts_id=1276

http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/inde...oducts_id=1277

on my 2000 TJ. It's got an 8.8 rear and a D44 front. Somewhere around 4 inches of suspension lift (skyjacker?). OME shocks.

The ride quality has been pretty rough as expected, and the rear end binds like crazy when flexing.. twice breaking the upper control arm mounts off the frame. First, when simply driving on Hwy 401, the second, bombing around in the pits.

passengers side

and the remaining drivers side was about to let off

So I figured, F it! I'm going for it.

BOOM

Last edited by stuckinmud; 09-01-2014 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added album link

SO now for the fun stuff.
    Started pulling the rear axle. It didn't take too long for me to run into problems. The lower shock mount bolts were impossible to turn, both my impact gun and by breaker bar. After reasonable amount of time trying to undue the bolts, I decided to cut 'em off.

Finally, got the axle out. Control arms had no real problems coming out... a little persuasion from the multi-angle swing press did the trick.

axle out! I was daydreaming about the truss and had it resting on the axle.

ohhhh can't wait

quite the mess..

And now the disaster. Discovered the reaaaaal soft spot in the frame is softer than I had thought. Prying against it was a bad idea. Another thing for the to do list.

This is as far as I got on day 1. half the brackets rough cut off.

More to come.. I'll try to do nightly updates.

Way too excited! :2thumbsup:

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 29 Mins 1 Sec
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckinmud View Post
    quite the mess..
    Your neighbours must love you...Jeep owners, bringing property values down on a daily basis.

Side note...that real soft area...drill a hole in the bottom of the frame rail so the shit that gets stuck there can drain when you wash the frame out with a hose.
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 31 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 25 Secs
    My frame was rotted through there too. I made some custom plates to go over that area but also bought pieces from "auto rust technology" to go over the skidplate area. They actually make some good stuff.
    http://autorust.com/store/jeep/rear_..._two_art-124-s

Something to look in to. If you look on my build (link in my signature) you'll see where I used their parts and where I used my own cap that I made.
    PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR
    99 TJ, HPD60/14B, TMR Customs 3 and 4 link, 40's.

Project Sandstorm Remix

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 20 Hrs 29 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 7 Secs
    IM GOING TO FECAL IN YOUR GARDEN

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 43 Secs
    this will be cool
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 7 Secs
    Love that hole in the frame. .

My neighbours feel that pain from time to time as well... **** them anyways.
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 10 Hrs 6 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 37 Secs
    keep us updated, and to repeat what Jak Flash said "fawk the neighbours"
    a learning experience is one of those things that says, you know that thing you just did...don't do that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher-One View Post
    My frame was rotted through there too. I made some custom plates to go over that area but also bought pieces from "auto rust technology" to go over the skidplate area. They actually make some good stuff.
    http://autorust.com/store/jeep/rear_..._two_art-124-s

Something to look in to. If you look on my build (link in my signature) you'll see where I used their parts and where I used my own cap that I made.
    Thats sweet! Those are definitely needed. As for now, I'm semi-sleeving the frame. I hate doing something twice but the show must go on. Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Your neighbours must love you...Jeep owners, bringing property values down on a daily basis.

Side note...that real soft area...drill a hole in the bottom of the frame rail so the shit that gets stuck there can drain when you wash the frame out with a hose.
    Haha. Well they haven't said anything as of yet... but theres still time!
    Yeah thats a good idea... It would literally have to be the size of a fist to get some of the rust chunks out of there LOL. Will definitely do that though. Sweet idea.

Day 2

OK so here we go with day 2. Bit of a slow day.. had a few friends stop by to distract me. BUT, I was able to cleanly remove all brackets from the axle, and the frame...

And after banging the LCA mounts off, I discovered the true state of my frame :thumbdown:

HOWEVER, the rest of the frame thus far, including where the new CA mounts are going, is actually pretty mint

....under the rust lol

aaaaaand thats about as far as I got today. Weak, I know. But a quick frame repair and then the axle can be positioned back under... WOOHOO!

but this is as she sits for tonight.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Do you plan on cutting off the rear upper spring perches and rotating them back to get the spring alignment back closer to vertical?

Like what Tim did here, I would actually link the pic but they don't seem to be working right...you can kinda see what I mean in the 5th pic I believe...hopefully...

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 40 Secs
    Only advice I have after mine is to grind the truss untill it sits as low as possible. Up travel will be at a premium without hitting things like the tub in the rear and the oil pan in the front unless you are planning tons of lift.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Do you plan on cutting off the rear upper spring perches and rotating them back to get the spring alignment back closer to vertical?

Like what Tim did here, I would actually link the pic but they don't seem to be working right...you can kinda see what I mean in the 5th pic I believe...hopefully...
    I was questioning that myself. To be honest, I was going to leave them as is. I'm not going any higher... for what it's worth. Do you think this is a necessity? or is it just for the sake of having it look proper? I've never heard anything about doing this. I noticed it was pretty heinous with the short arms, how bowed the spring gets. I thought (and hoped) with the LA that would bring it back to at least reasonably straight. How much bend is too much though?

Quote Originally Posted by Drizit View Post
    Only advice I have after mine is to grind the truss untill it sits as low as possible. Up travel will be at a premium without hitting things like the tub in the rear and the oil pan in the front unless you are planning tons of lift.
    Yeah, for sure. When I went to pick up the kit Tim told me to do that too. I'm going to do some tests to try to figure out how low it really needs to come down. Mind you, It's 4" springs, with a 2" body lift... so we'll see how the clearance is tomorrow. I'll try to update as I do it.

Thanks for the advice guys!

My Mood
    Twisted
    I have 3.5" springs and a 1.25" body lift, I have about 3" of rear shock shaft showing. About 4" of shock in the front.

The shock length was chosen based on where things got into the body (or oil pan) . My rear truss is quite close the front could have used some more trimming but I had to leave room for the arb hose
    Last edited by Drizit; 06-23-2014 at 01:11 AM.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckinmud View Post
    I was questioning that myself. To be honest, I was going to leave them as is. I'm not going any higher... for what it's worth. Do you think this is a necessity? or is it just for the sake of having it look proper? I've never heard anything about doing this. I noticed it was pretty heinous with the short arms, how bowed the spring gets. I thought (and hoped) with the LA that would bring it back to at least reasonably straight. How much bend is too much though?!
    A necessity? No.

How much bend is too much? When the springs shoot out the back, LOL.

The only way to get the spring to straighten out would be to rotate the axle forward (pinion down) and that would negatively impact driveshaft/ujoint angles.

I will be changing mine at some point, if for no other reason than, to get the bumpstop alignment closer to stock. The angle change on mine coupled with an extended bumpstop caused me to break off a rear bumpstop last year, probably an uncommon and really odd break that likely had other factors involved but in my opinion if the work is being done, why not fix the potential issue.

I mean you are already there it's not much more work to cut the two cups off and move them back.

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 49 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 44 Secs
    I'd rotate the perches and throw a little stretch in while you're at it. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...fuel-tank.html
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Curt's_97 View Post
    I'd rotate the perches and throw a little stretch in while you're at it. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...fuel-tank.html
    That's way too sweet. I love it. unfortunately, it's a little too late for that. gah. Never would have even thought of that.

A necessity? No.

How much bend is too much? When the springs shoot out the back, LOL.

The only way to get the spring to straighten out would be to rotate the axle forward (pinion down) and that would negatively impact driveshaft/ujoint angles.

I will be changing mine at some point, if for no other reason than, to get the bumpstop alignment closer to stock. The angle change on mine coupled with an extended bumpstop caused me to break off a rear bumpstop last year, probably an uncommon and really odd break that likely had other factors involved but in my opinion if the work is being done, why not fix the potential issue.

I mean you are already there it's not much more work to cut the two cups off and move them back.
    LOL yeah, that'll do 'er eh! I do have a SYE, so I can get away with a little bit of misalignment.. but I'm trying to keep it as close to where it should be as possible. This is my first Jeep fab project, believe it or not. So lots to learn along the way.
    I was definitely looking at cutting the stops off and moving them... They're not actually equal distance either from diff to perch, or wheel bearing flange to perch. The entire axle is offset. Weeeiiird.

Had the axle jacked all the way up to bumpstops today, everything aligned perfectly, aside from the obvious horseshoe of the springs. maybe when i do new springs I'll tackle that project too.

I have 3.5" springs and a 1.25" body lift, I have about 3" of rear shock shaft showing. About 4" of shock in the front.

The shock length was chosen based on where things got into the body (or oil pan) . My rear truss is quite close the front could have used some more trimming but I had to leave room for the arb hose
    Got the truss on, lifted the axle till it hit both bump stops. the only clearance issue i had was the UCA's hitting the floor of the jeep. Truss still had 3-4" of clearance before hitting the floor. I moved the UCA's into the lower bolt holes, and BOOM. Perfection.

As for the front end, I have no idea what i'm going to run into with that. I have an ox locker in the front, so the cable may be in the way. Hmmmmm.
    Deciding shock length will be the next thing on the list too. My current OME shocks are no where neaaaar long enough to really work the suspension.

I'm feelin pretty lazy right now. But I will post the current progress in an hour... Lots got done today!

My Mood
    Twisted
    I ended up finding Bilstines in the length I needed. May be a good place to start looking.

I ended up finding Bilstines in the length I needed. May be a good place to start looking.
    Yeah will do!

OOOOOKAY so here we go

So today was a really productive day. It all started out with the big gaping holes that were all over the one section of my frame. I used 1/4 plate steel to make some patches. For now, I only did the inside of the frame where it would be a PITA with the control arms in the way, just for the sake of time.

Before

after

woohoo! strength once again. NOW, onto the fun stuff.

I cleaned up the entire axle with a wire wheel in preparation for paint. May as well!

once that was done, I moved onto the frame brackets. what I had ALMOST done was totally f*ck them up. Somehow, I didnt notice the t case skid isnt just straight across, it actually has an indent in the passenger side. Glad I noticed!

So now that those are tacked on, Time to turn my attention to the axle again.
    Got the LCA brackets tacked on, as well as the truss. Centered the axle via plumb bob, then used a straight edge from the frame brackets to figure out where exactly the axle brackets should line up. I'm sure theres a more technical way to do it, but meh this worked well for me.

Now here's the weird ****.
    My 8.8 is actually offset, so the pinion is lined up center to the vehicle, making the axle itself offset, requiring a wheel spacer on the one side. I figured, OK, well I'll re center the axle and lose that stupid spacer... no big deal. Well, It was a little more of a task than I had anticipated... since the coil spring platforms were also unequal distance from both the wheel bearing flange, as well as the diff. Blegh. Running out of time, and no new perches to use... Unfortunately I just put the axle back exactly how it was; offset. Not ideal, but hey... it works.

I banged the JJ's in to get an Idea of control arm length.

BOOM.

Both sides in! now for the uppers....

Not too many pics of that part. I was haulin a$$ trying to get this jeep sitting on its wheels again today before the rain moved in... Didn't quiiiite make it. SO CLOSE THOUGH.

Anyway... All tacked up, ready for flex test!!!!!

Here we go!

Ran out of jack height, but it will touch bump stop without any interference. At first, the UCAs would hit the floor of the jeep. Moved them down a hole on both brackets, and boom! clearance issues are no more.

Is that not the sexiest thing ever?!

So now I really see that my shocks and springs are about half the length they need to be. So that'll be hopefully before winter to be replaced.

Well, there was no binding, everything was measured 100x to ensure square and straight... and so, the welding begins.