Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My TMR customs TJ long arm upgrade! PIC HEAVY

Time Online: 17 Hrs 27 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs

Not bad for a kid, right?

So this is where I had to pull the chute. The rain moved in just as I prepared to start welding the last things; the CA's. Faaawk. Maybe if theres a break in the weather tomorrow I'll finally finish this. I'm not sure if I have enough time to do the front end too this time around.. it may be delayed. I still have to do all new brake lines, galvanize and paint the axle and frame.. lots to be done yet. Way too fired up to drive this thing though.

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 14 Hrs 12 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 49 Secs
    Looks good, you'll love the long arm.

Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 3 Days 17 Hrs 14 Mins 40 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 57 Secs
    Looking good. Subscribed to see the finished product.
    Tri-City Jeep Club

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 8 Hrs 51 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 24 Secs
    Nice job with the welding. FYI here is a pic of how I ended up fixing my frame rot at the back side exactly where yours is. Made it using a cardboard template. Also it was early in my build before I got gas for my MIG so it was done with flux-core. Doing that is what made me realize I needed to run the gas! Not the best looking but much stronger than stock!

PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR
    99 TJ, HPD60/14B, TMR Customs 3 and 4 link, 40's.

Project Sandstorm Remix

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 16 Hrs 44 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 32 Secs

Re: My TMR customs TJ long arm upgrade! PIC HEAVY

Looking good. By the way for the next time you are tearing it apart. For rear purches I used a chunk of 2x6 square tube, cut the bottom off, and notched the sides with a grinder. Then welded a chunk of 2" (I think) scrap tube in the center and put a bit of plate in top to act as a landing pad for the bump stops.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher-One View Post
    Nice job with the welding. FYI here is a pic of how I ended up fixing my frame rot at the back side exactly where yours is. Made it using a cardboard template. Also it was early in my build before I got gas for my MIG so it was done with flux-core. Doing that is what made me realize I needed to run the gas! Not the best looking but much stronger than stock!
    That's sweet! And thanks. Honestly, I did it by eye. Cardboard would make way more sense to use, buuuut I didn't. I just held a piece of steel up, (1/4" plate) and eyeballed a line with a sharpie, cut it out, traced it on the frame, then cut that out and banged it in. ended up pretty damn close! I'll use cardboard next time though just to make it a liiiiiittle nicer. Thanks for the tip. As for the gas... I ran out with 2 welds left to do!!!! Naturally. Still got 'er done though.

Quote Originally Posted by Drizit View Post
    Looking good. By the way for the next time you are tearing it apart. For rear purches I used a chunk of 2x6 square tube, cut the bottom off, and notched the sides with a grinder. Then welded a chunk of 2" (I think) scrap tube in the center and put a bit of plate in top to act as a landing pad for the bump stops.
    Good idea. I'll keep that in mind if/when I eventually take that on.

Thanks for the comments! Will be updated momentarily.

WOOHOO! Axles in. Now that the rain finally stopped, I was able to bang together this thing in its final resting place.

The axle, control arms, frame and brackets have all been galvanized with Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Compound, then painted black with trem clad, of course.

I tried to thread all the JJ's back into the arms, but quickly found out that 3 of the tube inserts got a little wonky after welding. Whoops. SO, off to TMR I went to have the threads chased. Smooth as silk now. After a liberal amount of anti seize, all the arms were banged back into place. I don't have as many pictures today as it's pretty well all the same as the other day's pics. However, I guestimated an appropriate LCA length, as well as UCA length, and then cycled the suspension. Couldn't believe it! Have about 1/16" between the gas tank skid and the rear diff. No more impacts! And not bad for measurement by eye I may add, lol.

So I got the springs seated, arms on, wheels on, and the jeep is now sitting on its new fancy long arms. All that's left is the shocks, (which I screwed up the lower bushing inserts)... the brake lines, exhaust and drive shaft. Most will be completed tomorrow. Or at least exhaust and drive shaft.

Everyone loves pictures, so here they are

That's all for today!

Now for the apparently near impossible task of tracking down brake parts. Who in Canada sells a 36" ish flex line?!!?! I'm running all new hard lines, as mine rotted and broke while trying to take them off. Just the original 3/16" line.

Also, does anyone sell the little steel sleeve that goes through the bushing in the lower shock mount? How offensive is it to scrap that sleeve and use an over sized bolt? It's old man emu shocks, for what it's worth. I know I need new shocks.. but I ain't rich. They'll be somewhere down the road... hopefully before winter but who knows.

Anyway thanks for the input and support! This seems to be going pretty damn well for my first fab project

My Mood
    Twisted
    CT Motorsports got my rear flex line. Don't know that it's 3ft or not but it works. I think tmr has a line on custom length ones to.

Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 9 Hrs 48 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs

My TMR customs TJ long arm upgrade! PIC HEAVY

Nice work

OF4WD #7796
    Last edited by Miller; 06-27-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Time for part 2!!!!

I`m back with part 2: the front 3 link.

While I was pulling out the front axle, I realized the front locker (ox cable) was in the way...
    I had 2 options. disconnect the cable from the lever, or just bang off the diff cover and be done with it. I decided to go for the diff cover.. and I`m happy I did.

A little back story here. A few weeks ago I was in a buddies quarry, got a little brave.. and kinda wheelied my jeep over a berm. Upon landing.. I detonated my front axle shaft`s u joint. (dana 44) ......
    that sucked.

Fast forward to yesterday, day 1 of the front end. I bang off the diff cover, and this is what I see....

NOOOOOOOO. That sucks. Never noticed anything weird in the front end, so thats interesting. that`s after also driving in 4 wheel with it broken. weird.

So now, I just unlocked my hubs and it no longer moves. Still.. another thing to the list.

ANYWAYS. Now for what we`re here for.

Banged out the front axle in about 2 hours. This was sooooo much easier than the PITA that the rear was.

Notice the diff cover hanging lol. Ah, good enough.

another little surprise. Great. May as well galvanize the inside of the cover since its off...

brackets removed! This was way too easy.. until I got to the track bar bracket. That.. SUCKED.

this is about all that i could be bothered trying to get at with a cut off disk. the rest was taken off with a grinding stone and flap wheel.

Cleaned up the axle... may as well paint it while its out. the truss is just sitting on there so i can drool for a little before it goes on.

Welded up the brackets.. these ones came partially disassembled so you can pick which side gets the upper link.

Tacked the brackets onto the frame.. then moved the axle into place to figure out LCA bracket location.

This time, i used my head. I measured the distance between fender and knuckle when sitting on springs... so I just put the axle back to that height to set pinion angle and whatnot. Again, close enough for now.

got the truss tacked on.. and cut my tubes for the LCA`s. Thats about it for tonight!

My Mood
    Doh
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Days 7 Hrs 20 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 39 Secs

My TMR customs TJ long arm upgrade! PIC HEAVY

Is that a rubi front end?
    OF4WD #6946

My Mood
    Twisted
    Looking good. Time for a jana54 kit?

Quote Originally Posted by MorePaint View Post
    Is that a rubi front end?
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Drizit View Post
    Looking good. Time for a jana54 kit?
    A what?

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 10 Hrs 37 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 56 Secs
    Jana 54 kits is a dana 50 gear set in the 44 housing.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Yep beat me to it. A guy on pirate sells the kits. Basically it's just an install kit where he's figured out what bearings let you do it.

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 17 Hrs 55 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 47 Secs
    This is a great thread! Awesome work!
    OF4WD member #7498

Time Online: 5 Mths 3 Days 13 Hrs 45 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 36 Secs
    Needs a Jana K44 kit for the Rubi front housing, not the 54 kit....
    Cigar chomper!

Youth, health and skill are no match for age, experience and treachery

Dana 60's do break when hitting stumps at 60kmh....

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 14 Hrs 12 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 49 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Needs a Jana K44 kit for the Rubi front housing, not the 54 kit....
    Yep, put one of those in my front 44, great guys to deal with, and all the instruction are on the website. If I ever need to I'll put one in the back too.

My Mood
    Twisted
    I must have had it backwards. I got which one is for low and high pinion mixed up.