Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My TMR customs TJ long arm upgrade! PIC HEAVY

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 14 Hrs 12 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 49 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizit View Post
    It's a jk axle to about 65" wms-wms. 4.5" backspace rims.
    Ahhh, that explains the extra width then, not sure that'll work with a TJ width axle.

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 24 Secs
    looks like you will need to center your steering wheel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 16 Hrs 51 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 32 Secs
    I'll take a measurement out from the frame to the end of the joint, I also bent it a bit more then strictly necessary. To clear the tb mount.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Time Online: 17 Hrs 27 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    As requested
    Sweet. Looks good, I like it. Ordered the Antirock today.

Yeah.. steering wheel is pretty well dead upside down when driving straight. Cant turn left very well, right works mint.
    Reason being is the lower heim joint on the drag link going into the knuckle was seized, naturally. So the only adjustment i had was in the ball joint into pitman arm. A couple days of penetrating oil later and the heim is freed up. Now I can fix it.. tomorrow.

Also, an update. My steering is pretty horrible. Was looking at more of a drop pitman arm.. but decided that it would interfere with the tie rod. So, The solution will be the messy one. I'm cutting the track mount bracket off the frame, shortening it.. and reinstalling so that the track bar matches the drag link angle rather than the other way around, if that makes any sense.

Huge PITA. No doubt. But its something I should have noticed when it was all tacked together. Live and learn.
    I wish I had a plasma cutter. This is quite the pain to do with an angle grinder.. oh well. More updates tomorrow when its done.

Steering angles:

My Mood
    Twisted
    How are their respective lengths? I also didn't use a drop Pittman arm but I had to run the axle side track bar bracket outboard of the spring and cut it down for a steeper angle to match my drag link.

How are their respective lengths? I also didn't use a drop Pittman arm but I had to run the axle side track bar bracket outboard of the spring and cut it down for a steeper angle to match my drag link.
    Drag link is 36", track bar 32".

I'm just making the post now on my solution. Basically the same as what you did.

Steering issues solved!

So I dropped the axle down today, and cut off the axle side of the track bar. After 6 or 7 trial and error attempts, I was able to finally match the drag link angle perfectly.

Before:

After:

Centred the axle again, and the steering wheel, and now I can turn both directions equal amounts (WOOHOO) and oh man does it ever handle differently. Drives like a Cadillac. Absolutely huge gain in ride quality as well as steering stiffness. I have always had issues with my steering week boing nuts upon impact of any pot holes or whatever... NOT ANYMORE! Feels like hydraulic steering! (Well, compared to what it was.)

So now the anti rock. It shouldn't be too long till that rolls in. Can't wait to try this out!!!!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 8 Hrs 51 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 24 Secs
    Funny how much a difference that makes eh?
    My angles are the same but my trac-bar is several inches shorter in length and it makes a difference over bumps....not too bad though.

Nice work bud.
    PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR
    99 TJ, HPD60/14B, TMR Customs 3 and 4 link, 40's.

Project Sandstorm Remix

My Mood
    Twisted
    Nice job. The first time mine went on the angles were perfect but the length was about 6 or 8 inches off. Scared the crap out of me trying to drive in the truck ruts on the 427. Small things make a big difference

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 14 Hrs 12 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 49 Secs
    That's why I have both within a 1/2" of one another and at the same angle. Steering and drives very nicely.

My Mood
    Twisted

Re: My TMR customs TJ long arm upgrade! PIC HEAVY

Quote Originally Posted by tealj View Post
    That's why I have both within a 1/2" of one another and at the same angle. Steering and drives very nicely.
    Yep that was my second try. Works great now.

Nice job. The first time mine went on the angles were perfect but the length was about 6 or 8 inches off. Scared the crap out of me trying to drive in the truck ruts on the 427. Small things make a big difference
    Quote Originally Posted by tealj View Post
    How do you guys have your steering set up? There's absolutely no way I would be able to make my drag link and track bar the same length. track bar bracket on the axle is as far over to the passenger side as possible and its still off by a few inches.

It's been a while since I've updated the thread here.. but there's been a decent amount of work done.

Just a little 10 minute side project here, but I finally installed my TMR Customs maple leaf, cause why not.

But anyway! Here's where it gets good again.

My antirock showed up! F yeah. No more crazy body roll, I hope.

I didn't take any pictures of installing it... I was too excited and just wanted to get it on quick. Its a very simple installation though. I didn't have to take my bumper off to get at it which was sweet.
    I put one bushing in, inserted the sway bar from the opposite side, pushed it way too far through the installed bushing from the inside out.. and pushed it through far enough I could get the other bushing in.

stuck the supplied bolt into the end of the bar so i could hold it straight lined up with the second bushing, and whacked it through from the inside outward from the other side. Worked perfectly.

For the love of god, Use a dead blow or mallet. One whack not thinking with the BFH caused a wee little mushroom of the splines which had to be filed. Thaaat was dumb.

Now the only tricky part was bending the arm around my track bar mount. I went to my brothers house who has a press that we built a couple years back. Again, sorry no pictures.

Pass side nice and straight

Drivers side with a little bend in 'er.

Didn't have to make a new axle bracket or anything I expected to have to do! I literally just slapped a bend in it and its mint. I do have some issues with the tire hitting it at full lock, but it's hitting the LCA a little bit anyway so I'll be adjusting the steering stops.

So some little prick came by last night and emptied a bucket of sand on one of my seats, and painted the floor, console, and passenger seat with a mixture of egg and flour. They even pre soaked the pass seat for full affect. Someones getting an uppercut. :brickwall

This is after 90% of it was cleaned out.

Frame repair

Yesterday was frame repair day. I used 1/4" plate with the 220v welder and nuked it on there good and hot. Mig welding upside down sucks. Wish I had the arc welder for that part.

lack of pictures again I know.. but here it is done.

So I went out to a friends quarry to rescue an XJ which tore the caliper off, shattered the two ball joints in the knuckle so that came off too, detonated the axle shaft, and sheared the tie rod off. Not bad.

(He was on his first date with some girl when this all happened hahahaha)

Replaced the ball joints, axle shaft, pinched off the brake line, and duct taped a breaker bar and an extension to where it broke like a splint. Can you believe it worked?! ...for a while...

Perfect time to snap some pictures!

What a sweet day. Ended up ratchet strapping the rear of his knuckle to the transmission skid, and the front to the d ring on the bumper. that kept the drivers wheel straight and he steered home with both throttle and the one usable steering wheel.

What a sweet day. Ended up ratchet strapping the rear of his knuckle to the transmission skid, and the front to the d ring on the bumper. that kept the drivers wheel straight and he steered home with both throttle and the one usable steering wheel.

hopefully its just me but I can't see any pictures from the first 3 pages anymore. The link isn't broken as when you click on the screw up symbol thing it takes you to the pic on photobucket, and this thread is literally copied and pasted on jeepforum too and it works... so whats the damn deal with that?

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 4 Secs
    No sir not just you...

This has become an issue since the outage a few weeks back. As far as I know they are working on resolving it.

Good job btw. Turned out nicely
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком