Thread: What gear ratio should I go to?

Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 52 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 49 Secs

What gear ratio should I go to?

OK so first thing first, 2012 jku with 3.21 gears and running 33x12.5 tires and now I have replaced my little popup trailer with an ultra light 23 foot house trailer that weight about 3000 pounds. I'm looking to regear my diffs this winter and am looking for suggestions on what ratio to go with. My goals for the foreseeable future are to be able to tow the trailer to ardbeg or minden with the Jeep running up to 35" tires and then when the Jeep is paid off and not my daily driver, I'm figuring on moving up to 37's but that won't be for quite a while. I should also mention that right now I'm planning on running stock rims and a/t tires for the winter so too low a gear ratio and I'm running highway speed at 5000 rpm. I'm thinking of 4.10 gears rather than 4.55 for exactly that reason.
    Cheers,
    Blair

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 40 Secs
    What transmission do you have?
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

6 speed standard

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    Gears are very dependent on tire size re-gearing and swapping from 35's to stock is not really practical when re-geared.. The cost for parts will likely be around $1300tax in. Personally I would recommend 4.56's I always like to go one size bigger then the final stock drive ratio to make up for the added weight and rolling resistance of the bigger tire not just to make up for the overall height.
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 13 Hrs 17 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 42 Secs
    Would you consider either a doubler or 4:1 Tcase gears as well as axle gears????
    11 F150 tow rig/ DD
    87 Sami buggy
    99 XJ RIP
    91 XJ RIP
    86 CJ5 RIP

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 29 Mins 1 Sec

A 23 foot trailer behind a Jeep? JKU or not, can't say I would want to try it. And is that 3000 pounds dry (without any gear/luggage/water in the tanks/etc)?
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

A 23 foot trailer behind a Jeep? JKU or not, can't say I would want to try it. And is that 3000 pounds dry (without any gear/luggage/water in the tanks/etc)?
    the total loaded weight with the holding tanks empty is 3200 lbs, the drive from the dealership home and back up to owen sound for camping on the long weekend was not bad to tow at all, it didn't actually feel much heavier than my 12' popup i was towing up till a few weeks ago.

the total loaded weight with the holding tanks empty is 3200 lbs, the drive from the dealership home and back up to owen sound for camping on the long weekend was not bad to tow at all, it didn't actually feel much heavier than my 12' popup i was towing up till a few weeks ago.

as for a doubler or 4:1 transfer case, i wouldn't be doing any of this until the jeep is no longer a daily driver at which time i would like to do a rubicon transfer case and front and rear lockers, maybe even move up to tons

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 7 Secs
    Doubler and/or a 4:1 TC will do nothing for the performance of the jeep on the highway.

I would listen to RB, he has knowledge that would benefit you.
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 7 Secs
    Doubler and/or a 4:1 TC will do nothing for the performance of the jeep on the highway.

I would listen to RB, he has knowledge that would benefit you.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 40 Secs
    RB and jak are right. Buy the right gears once.

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 11 Hrs 2 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 56 Secs
    I'm with RB. I had stock 3.07 gears on my TJ and I was running 33 x 12.5 tires and 5th gear was almost non-existent. I was going to regear to 4.10 but after speaking to RB he suggested 4.56 and it was the right decision for my situation.
    '02 TJ, 2" body lift, 2" coil spacers, 33"x12.5" Goodyear Duratracs, 15x8 Pro Comp matte black aluminum rims, D30/D35 regeared with 4.56 gears, Bushwacker Flat Fender Flares, Warn Rock Crawler Front Bumper, Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers, hprtech custom rear bumper with swing out tire carrier, 48" Hi-Lift, Hard Top, Soft Top, Safari, Wrap Around Windjammer, Tonneau and trail cover.

"I'm not retarded I just own a Jeep that's all".

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 13 Hrs 17 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 42 Secs
    I was suggesting it as a viable option for buying the right gears for 35" tires, then adding the gears to the t-case when he goes to 37's.

has anyone stopped to think about running 35" tires, on stock JK axles.... and stock brakes... while pulling a 23 ft billboard of a trailer???

If your on the fence between 4.10 or 4.56.... I would consider the following.... they is about a 10% difference, and once you hit 6th gear the difference will be even smaller

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 37 Secs

I wouldn't be towing a 23 foot trailer with a Jeep on 35 or 37s.

As far as gears just for the Jeep, I'd say 4.56 as well, but then remember strength issues of the axles, and etc.

Welcome to the world of Jeeps and never ending circle of mods
    OF4WD 5982 & 5983

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by BLSXJ View Post
    I was suggesting it as a viable option for buying the right gears for 35" tires, then adding the gears to the t-case when he goes to 37's.

has anyone stopped to think about running 35" tires, on stock JK axles.... and stock brakes... while pulling a 23 ft billboard of a trailer???

If your on the fence between 4.10 or 4.56.... I would consider the following.... they is about a 10% difference, and once you hit 6th gear the difference will be even smaller
    And there is even more to it then that. However the OP asked "what gear ratio should I go to?" which is what the general responses should be geared to (no pun intended). If he asked "what's involved in re-geraing?" or "should I tow a trailer that weighs 3000lbs?" my response along with others I am sure would be considerably different.

Time Online: 9 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 15 Hrs 1 Min 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Mins 12 Secs
    I have 4.56 gears in my dd running new 35x12.5r15 mtr kevlar.... And live the drive and feel on and off road