Thread: TJ Seat Swap

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Day 22 Hrs 14 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 37 Secs

TJ Seat Swap

I needed to deal with the front driver's seat of my '03 TJ which was looking pretty bad. The options were to reupholster, recover or replace them. I chose to replace both seats with a set from an auto wrecker. My basic criteria was black vinyl seats from a 2 door of some sort so they would fold forward. Seat heaters would have been nice but weren't essential.

I must have looked at 150 cars at the wrecker I went to. The 3rd car I saw seemed to fit the bill (except for the heaters) but I had to look at them all ... "just in case".

I got a set out of a '03 Hyundai Tiburon and they turned out great. The hardest part was to determine what parts from each set of seats I needed. In the end I was able to keep both sets of seats in tact and build some simple brackets to make the Tiburon seats fit. The only modification I had to make to either seat was to cut away a small amount of plastic from the base of the seat on the driver's side to clear the Jeep seat belt mechanism. It made no real difference to the appearance.

Here's how they turned out ... very comfortable!

And from the back. Even got a mesh storage net.

Simple bracket made out of flat bar. I will remove the seats, paint the brackets and use grade 8 hardware. They can now be removed easier than the original seats.

Nice thing about this type of head rest is that I can hang a back pack (or ?) from them. This is my old first aid kit from Scouting.
    Last edited by PCO6; 12-28-2014 at 06:47 PM.

My Mood
    Fine
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 4 Days 13 Hrs 49 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 19 Secs
    Looks good,thx for sharing your info
    6#DAERTER
    01 TJ

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 10 Hrs 5 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 37 Secs
    awesome set up!

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 4 Hrs 8 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 34 Secs

TJ Seat Swap

Nice!!

What did they end up costing?
    Did you lose the tumble forward motion?
    What about seat belt light sensor?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    RIP OD, YOU'LL BE MISSED.... BUT that's OK 'cuz you've been REPLACED !!!

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Day 22 Hrs 14 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 37 Secs
    countryboy - I asked about 3 sets of seats and the cost in each case was $200 for vinyl (these have a bit of leather in them). I wasn't interested in cloth but I'm sure they would be less. Vinyl seat covers are going to cost about that much so I figured it was worth it. The steel was probably an extra $20.

I used the original TJ seat bases so the tumble forward will work when a I make a cable pull switch for it. I'm going to mount that at the back of the seat. I'm also going to weld a lever under the seat with a handle at the at the front so I can tumble it from the front and back.

I disconnected the seat belt sensor (driver's seat only) before I removed the seat and it didn't make any difference. The dashboard light and sound went out after a few seconds. I'm not sure why that is but that's OK with me. I reconnected it and again, no difference.

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 13 Hrs 43 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 50 Secs
    Nice build, just for info, any ZJ seat will bolt right on to the TJ bases, and if you use the outboard TJ hinge it will fold forward still too. I did this with a set of cloth ZJ seats first, and now have a set of leather ZJ seats installed.

My Mood
    Daring
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 12 Hrs 50 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 25 Secs
    very nice. Thanks for sharing.
    93 YJ - Stock 2.5L inline 4, 4" Rough Country Lift, 1.5" Shackles, 33" BFG's, SYE yet to be installed, Raptor Liner Sprayed, CB, Stereo that goes BooM, Aussie locker front, XJ solid shafts, tube fenders by Tubular Metalworx, 8500lb winch, Garvin swing away tire carrier and clearly far too much time on my hands. No roof, no doors and two screaming kids in the back.