Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can a 2003 foerd escape FWD be towed with a tow bar time sensitive

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 44 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs

Question can a 2003 foerd escape FWD be towed with a tow bar time sensitive

hello everyone I was wondering if you can flat tow a 2003 ford escape with a tow bar and how would I go about hooking a tow bar to the front of it to tow it if I can. I nee to get my sons escape from Trenton Ontario to Southwold south west of London and I do not have a trailer to haul it and the uhaul say not recommended on their website for a tow dolly or full trailer. I know my jeep can handle the run it is just getting it hooked up to tow it or find somewhere I can get a trailer or tow dolly to get it back here and I am sort of on a time limit as where he has it parked they tow vehicles that are uninsured and in need of repair so I would like to be heading out to get it on Friday so any help with picture would be helpful or anyone have a tow dolly I can rent for the weekend??

thanks in advance.

Ferretman

__________________________________________________ ________________________
    I have no problem buying the beer but need a ride to the beer store.

Time Online: 2 Wks 14 Hrs 39 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 12 Secs
    thats almost 400km one way. I would recommend renting a truck and dolly/flatdeck. Ive seen way to many people get in accidents towing over there weight.

You have a grand cherokee right? I dont know if I would even think about making that trip with a tow bar on the ferd, if your gonna do it, get one of there car haulers.

Quote Originally Posted by ritchierich View Post
    thats almost 400km one way. I would recommend renting a truck and dolly/flatdeck. Ive seen way to many people get in accidents towing over there weight.

You have a grand cherokee right? I dont know if I would even think about making that trip with a tow bar on the ferd, if your gonna do it, get one of there car haulers.

yes I have a 95 Grand Cherokee and I thought it was capable of towing 5000 lbs am I wrong I have towed a gmc safari van with it mind you that was only from St. Thomas

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 18 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    I have no idea how it would be feasible to connect a tow bar temporarily to an Escape. I doubt it would be very simple. The tow bar brackets can get quite complicated on some late model vehicles. Your best bet would be to find somewhere to rent a dolly if U-haul will not. A tandem axle car hauler with an Escape on it behind a 4.0L ZJ is probably not a wise idea. It will struggle enough with a dolly.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 6 Hrs 25 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 50 Secs

can a 2003 foerd escape FWD be towed with a tow bar time sensitive

Get CAA sign up and the will row it but buy the plus membership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time Online: 9 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 15 Hrs 3 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Mins 8 Secs
    Call u haul back again and tell them you are towing a HONDA CIVIC..... Than they will rent it to you

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 3 Hrs 8 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 8 Secs
    why would U-haul not rent a trailer? its not going on a tj its going on a grand. get a trailer (not a dolly) from u-haul and tow it back. you might not be making record speed times, but the trailers all have surge breaks and a grand should be rated for it. stay away from the flat tow shit. it should only be used behind an RV or in emergencys.
    KUSS
    Stupid Fukin Nature
    OF4WD# 2660

My Mood
    Buzzed
    I would highly doubt a 95 ZJ would be happy with the tongue weight of a tandem axle car hauler with an Escape on it. Maybe with a weight distributing hitch but without it would be, shall we say, unwise. Expect the tongue weight to be 600 - 900 LBS. The is the sole reason I suggested a dolly.

My Mood
    Drunk
    at least with a tandem he would have brakes, the dolly he will be at the mercy of only the grands breaking system. too much tongue weight vs being able to stop........ worse case load it backwards to keeep as much off the tongue. unless they have dollys with surge brakes now.

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 32 Secs
    if you do go with uhaul just rent it from trenton to your home
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
    at least with a tandem he would have brakes, the dolly he will be at the mercy of only the grands breaking system.
    I have seen many dollies with brakes. That said, I have no idea if U-Haul dollies come equipped with brakes.

too much tongue weight vs being able to stop
    You are splitting hairs on the finer points of doing this unsafely. Overloading the ZJ and its receiver with a bigger trailer load than it is rated for is bad news all around...never mind how well it does or does not brake with a given load.

........ worse case load it backwards to keeep as much off the tongue.
    ^ That is beyond worst case and bad advice. A trailer with improper tongue weight creates a whole other level of unsafe. Especially on a light tow vehicle like a ZJ. Adequate tongue weight is a balancing act with total trailer weight. 10 - 20% of the total weight should be on the tongue. 15% would be ideal. Less than 10% is out of balance and will absolutely cause poor and unsafe handling characteristics between the tow and towed vehicle.

This issue would be of serious consequence because of the weights that in play here.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 44 Secs
    A tow bar won't work. It'll be too difficult to secure it to the Ferd, and it doesn't lift up the front tires (which you would need to do, otherwise you'd be spinning the transaxle). You might be able to tow on the drive tires, but you'd have to have the engine running (transmission in neutral), and even then, I'm not sure if you could do 400km.

The tow-dolly is an option. The FWD Escape weight is ~3,150lbs and your dolly is ~750lbs. That's 3,900lbs behind a vehicle that was rated for 5,000lbs some 20 years ago. Loading up the engine is the least of your problems, I'd be worried about transmission temps and brake performance.

Your best bet is to have it towed. The cost of the tow will be far, far less than the consequences of screwing up the tow.
    Last edited by Engineer Joe; 11-13-2014 at 01:09 PM.
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover

My Mood
    Drunk
    so everytime you load somthign on a trailer you get out your scales and calculator and figure out the actual % of axle and tongue weight? or do you put the vehicle on the trailer and see where it looks right?

i still see no reason a grand cannot tow another vehicle. its 3000lb vehicle on a 1000lb (rough guess) trailer with braking axles beign pulled by a vehicle with 2000-2500lb sugested towing capacity? god forbid someone moght over load an SUV. load the ford right where you get the tongue weight where you are comfortable with, check the brakes and go.

however..... if you can get a tow dolly that does have brakes go that route. an overloaded tongue can cause issure but not nearly as bad as a load which has no brakes. that is simply my own opinion of driving with both scienarios.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Mins 56 Secs

can a 2003 foerd escape FWD be towed with a tow bar time sensitive

Just sign the ownership over, it's an 03 Ferd Escape...it ain't worth shit
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

My Mood
    Buzzed
    so everytime you load somthign on a trailer you get out your scales and calculator and figure out the actual % of axle and tongue weight? or do you put the vehicle on the trailer and see where it looks right?
    I tow very few trailers where there is a questionable tongue or pin loading issue. The nature of the load and style of trailer typically allows minimal room to mess up proper tongue loading. Or, the trailer is too light and the tow vehicle is too heavy to care much. The OP does not have that particular luxury.

And yes, there is a trick where you can use a bathroom scale and simple jig to gauge proper tongue weight if it is questionable.

i still see no reason a grand cannot tow another vehicle.
    I see no reason, either.

its 3000lb vehicle on a 1000lb (rough guess) trailer with braking axles beign pulled by a vehicle with 2000-2500lb sugested towing capacity?
    I'd being willing to bet a U-Haul tandem axle car hauler is closer to 2K. They are rather stout. Most typical 7K tandem axle haulers are North of 1500 LBS and frequently around the 2K mark empty. However, truthfully, I thought the Escape would be closer to 4K than 3K.

god forbid someone moght over load an SUV.
    The horror.

But lets be clear that while some may practice such behaviour, condoning that to others that may not be aware of the inherent risks is something else altogether. And lets face it, there are safer techniques than others for towing beyond the manufacturers tow ratings than others.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    I just strapped on my loller skates. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer Joe View Post
    A tow bar won't work. It'll be too difficult to secure it to the Ferd, and it doesn't lift up the front tires (which you would need to do, otherwise you'd be spinning the transaxle). You might be able to tow on the drive tires, but you'd have to have the engine running (transmission in neutral), and even then, I'm not sure if you could do 400km.

The tow-dolly is an option. The FWD Escape weight is ~3,150lbs and your dolly is ~750lbs. That's 3,900lbs behind a vehicle that was rated for 5,000lbs some 20 years ago. Loading up the engine is the least of your problems, I'd be worried about transmission temps and brake performance.

Your best bet is to have it towed. The cost of the tow will be far, far less than the consequences of screwing up the tow.
    well the ZJ has brand new rotors and pads. the transmission had some work done on it and has no problems that I am aware of . the engine has had a good flush and fresh oil not long ago ( abut a month and same with the tranny ) also the first 10,000 km I put on it was mostly hauling a trailer to Trenton ( empty ) and back ( Fully loaded at the max weight my trailer was rated for ( sometimes a little over ) ) and at that time it was giving me problems from the tranny so it took longer sometimes took 401 other times back roads depending on time of day/night and traffic

and the reason that they won't rent it to me for my ZJ is because it is more than 15 years old or that is how the explained it because their computer does not say why.

well I solved my problem the will rent me a dolly when I am using my dads 2004 Montana with a class II hitch ( my ZJ has a class 3 hitch with 2" receiver ) so I am doing this with the Montana and my old 04 venture did not like the loads that I haul with the jeep and some of the loads I hauled with the 02 Montana it didn't like but they were hard to arrange loads ( big and bulky )

anyone see any problems towing the escape with the 02 Montana that I should watch out for??

Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    everyone said that about my jeep when it disappeared and they found it but the next day I was back on the road working better than before it was stolen.

I am starting to feel like everyone that's keeps saying "junk it" are looking for parts and think they will get it from the scrap yard cheep LOL

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 32 Secs
    pull the driveshaft out when you get it on the dolly