Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 1 tonning JK's

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 28 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    Cool stuff.

But the AAM 11.5 is just too big and heavy to be practical in Jeep build. The weight significant. Just the carrier with ring gear is around 100 LBS. The needless loss in ground clearance is noticeable too.

All I see is downsides to running an axle that large when there is absolutely no tangible benefit. This increase in size and weight WILL hold you back. There will be a reduction in performance and capability.

I would seriously re-think the 11.5. Unless you are planning huge HP and rubber larger than 44". There is a reason 11.5's and D80's are avoided on trail rigs.

And it looked like this thread disappeared...or am I imagining things (that happens from time to time)?
    Last edited by CTD NUT; 11-25-2014 at 11:55 AM.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 3 Days 19 Hrs 52 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 21 Secs
    I see your argument to running the 11.5 axle but I cant see a loss of 1.5" really being noticed for ground clearance over the other 1 ton stuff out there I see it all the time on forums much like yourself guys talking about shaving 14 bolts and stuff for an added 1" of clearance but to me that is not practical at all i couldnt care less if my diff sits an inch or two lower and hits on stuff and I also dont care if I get stuck its part of the fun! But again many will argue this like people argue 3 link over 4 link it all comes down to opinions and we know what they say about opinions

as for the weight yeah this thing is damn heavy no doubt about it, I will have to look up the difference from the 10.5 to the 11.5 to see how much more it really weighs and yeah the thread was down needed some editing...
    2012 JKU Sahara, SD HP60 Front, GM 14 Bolt shaved rear, 5.38s, locked/Spooled, 4 link front 3 link rear, Oris, TR Double Beadlocks, 42" tsl sx2, PSC Full Hydro, D3 bumpers, D3 skids, D3 Rock Rails, D3 Cage, and lots more...
    OF4WD #5252

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Mins 56 Secs

1 tonning JK's

Quote Originally Posted by just-lift-it View Post
    shaving 14 bolts and stuff for an added 1" of clearance but to me that is not practical at all i couldnt care less if my diff sits an inch or two lower and hits on stuff and I also dont care if I get stuck its part of the fun!
    Well that answers my question...was going to ask if you planned to shave it. LOL

Would be interesting to see centerline of tube to bottom of pumpkin measurements just for comparison sake versus the other big axles (shaved or not shaved).
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

My Mood
    Lurking

1 tonning JK's

I'll snap some pics and dimensions for everyone's viewing pleasures tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by just-lift-it View Post
    I see your argument to running the 11.5 axle but I cant see a loss of 1.5" really being noticed for ground clearance over the other 1 ton stuff out there...
    I can. That would be what I would refer to as 'significant'.

You are also dismissing the additional weight. Your build would do well with a D60 rear. You don't need a 14B in the back...and you really don't need an 11.5 or D80 in the back. The 60 will be plenty and it is notably lighter and higher clearance than a 14B. I understand the sentiment of running a traditional 14B in the back. It is a big dumb axle that will take a shit kicking. Stuff it in there and forget about it - it won't let you down. It is also an anchor. An unnecessary anchor if the tire size does not warrant that amount of strength. The 11.5 is worse still and over-the-top unnecessary. It offers no redeeming qualities for your application.

This is a game where everything you change or mod either helps or hinders...regardless of whether anyone decides that it matters to them or not. If you build with a mindset where you don't care whether something hinders you or not, so be it. You are having fun...right?

But I know that does not describe you or your intent. You are building for increased capability...increased mobility, performance, etc. Dismissing something because you have deemed that it is unimportant to you, makes it matter no less out there on the trail. Only that it does not matter to you. And that, I find surprising - it is uncharacteristic of you.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    To add some perspective, an 11.5 is going to weigh 500 - 550 LBS fully dressed depending on how it is equipped.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 10 Hrs 4 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 59 Secs
    1.5 is huge and will be noticeable

Like going up 3 inches in tire size

Sounds like quite a build, take lots of pics

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 58 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 40 Secs
    Likely 150-200 pounds more then a disc'd 14.

Thought it was more like 3-4", not 1.5".

No removable pinion.

No 3rd pinion support bearing.

But the WMS is closer then a 14 bolt to your fronts and there's tons of room to shave, like 2.5"'s if your feeling adventurous!

Excited to see them come together, lots of pics!

Assuming $6000 isn't covering all suspension, wheels, tires, etc?
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

Time Online: 4 Mths 3 Days 6 Hrs 48 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 8 Secs
    I have a military rear Dodge 8 bolt D60 if your interested $150?
    IM GOING TO FECAL IN YOUR GARDEN

My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomeo View Post
    I have a military rear Dodge 8 bolt D60 if your interested $150?
    Got a pic? We have multiple JKs getting one tons now three and counting just not posting everything because no ones got time for that! haha so I may take this from you

Time Online: 1 Yr 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 16 Hrs 51 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Mins 26 Secs
    Why couldn't I have found this thread last winter when I was doing a ton of HP 60 balljoint research!?! So makes me want to ditch my 03 60 and go to 05+

My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt's_97 View Post
    Likely 150-200 pounds more then a disc'd 14.

Thought it was more like 3-4", not 1.5".

No removable pinion.

No 3rd pinion support bearing.

But the WMS is closer then a 14 bolt to your fronts and there's tons of room to shave, like 2.5"'s if your feeling adventurous!

Excited to see them come together, lots of pics!

Assuming $6000 isn't covering all suspension, wheels, tires, etc?
    3rd pinion bearing isnt important at all its removable on most anyways im not concerned about breaking this axle man if my stock jeep engine blows it up then atleast it will be a good show! hahaha

$6000 doesnt include suspension and tires your right!

Rear is 1" narrower then front i think if i remember correctly

My Mood
    Lurking
    Didnt get any time to mess with the rear axle so far this week, last night got the knuckles and shafts and crap off the front axle didnt snap anymore pics yet though hopefully by this weekend I can give a bit of an update!

My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by OverKill View Post
    Why couldn't I have found this thread last winter when I was doing a ton of HP 60 balljoint research!?! So makes me want to ditch my 03 60 and go to 05+
    05+ is a beast for sure man, but theres draw backs.. next to no aftermarket support on these the 99-04 you can buy anything currie UB, any axle shaft from any company, knuckles, dynatrac free spin kits blah blah...

Only thing I have been able to find are my drive flanges otherwise you run factory ford manual hubs (which I only found one case of them breaking on a 700hp rig on 43s) and gears... if youw ant shafts there custom made at ECGS or Yukon, knuckles and bearings all have to be fatory no one has caught up to these yet...

You can take a 99-04 Superduty 60 and run a set of "Super 60" gears so thats a 10" ring gear it fits in the housing no problem and then run 35 or 40 spline everything, with either a dynatra or currie setup on the ends and have one hell of a front end... But in my opinion (not that it matters) I cant see a stock jeep engine weather it be a 4L or a 3.8/3.6L and some big 40"+ tires breaking these easily... YES stuff breaks there is always a weak link which is fine but for the most part the 99-04 or the 05+ wont break from a light underpowered jeep with big tires so both axles are awesome choices anyone I have talked to says they are 100 times better then the old school balljoint stuff makes them look like a dana30 beside these...

My Mood
    Lurking
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	King pin C to Superduty C.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	100122

Here is a 05+ Inner C beside everyones favorite King pin haha bit of a difference...

Time Online: 1 Yr 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 16 Hrs 51 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Mins 26 Secs
    That's a massive difference!!! I plan on running 40"+ tires and a 6L motor. Where I'm torn right now is Sterling 10.5" (I already have it) or FF 14bolt and convert the front to 8x6.5". THe second route will cost me a lot more but I really love the idea of the third pinion bearing, pinion guard, and shave kit....

The bit about putting the bigger ring gear in the 99-04 HP60 is very interesting!!!! I'm for sure going to have to do that! I'd also like to get 35 spline outers and eventually RCV shafts. But at almost $3k they will have to wait! Oh and no lockouts for me, I plan on driving mine on the street a lot.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Yeah a few guys asked why not just get a 10.5 rear end and then you dont have to convert the 14 to 8x170 or the front 60 to 8x6.5 so its not uncommon! and there is aftermarket support for it as well...

Its becoming really common with guys runing the super duty 05+ with custom 40 spline shafts and 1550 ctm joints OR they run custom 2.5 ton rockwell RCV in them as well both are pretty much bomb proof no matter what you throw at them they say... these are all huge horsepower buggies guys spend 5 grand just on shafts its insane if you look at a lot of rock bouncers and stuff which is big in the states they use the superduty and 14 bolt a ton because its proven

the F450 and 550 front "Super 60" axles come factory with 10" ring gear and 1550 ujoints on the shafts which has greater turning radius these axles are stupid wide and there 10 lug bolt pattern but you can just swap on a regular UB and you basically have the unlitmate junkyard front axle that will take anything you throw at it without upgrading... Im yet to find anyone post a pic on pirate or the other big forums with a broken stock 1550 axle shaft but hey it may have happened dude just doesnt post online haha

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Mins 56 Secs

1 tonning JK's

Okay enough with the chatter and let's see some pics. Shit the way this thread is going you'd think it was in a tech discussion section.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Ya ya ill get some more pics up! gotta go to tmr today for some goodies when i get back ill snap some more pics

My Mood
    Lurking

1 tonning JK's

Here's one I have!

Dana 30,44,60, gm14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk