Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 1 tonning JK's

Time Online: 1 Yr 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 16 Hrs 51 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Mins 26 Secs
    Stop, you're turning me on! Lol

To answer your question about how to choose, I'd go with who seems to stand behind it the best. Not just claims to, but is known for standing behind their stuff! When I was doing my knuckle research I came across a company that not only gave a "no questions asked" lifetime warranty, but said they would only have 2 questions for you if you contacted them for a warranty claim. 1. How did you do it and 2. Did you get it on video!?!

That is the kind of confidence that sells me on one company over another.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 3 Days 19 Hrs 52 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 21 Secs
    haha I like that warenty! I really dont care about warrenty though its a gear set... that is an item that takes a ton of abuse and stress and can break from poor setup and such... what gets me is lets say Nitro gears for instance offer 5.38s in reverse cut and thick to use on a 3 series carrier they was 245$ a set ok cool... now motive gear has same ratio and such for 340$ a set and now yukon has same set for $480

all three manufactures use 8620 and computer controlled heat treatment, they even told me what brand cnc machine they use over seas to cut the gears when i started digging for answers haha so how can anyone tell me that yukon 8620 gears are better than nitro 8620 gears? if they are both held to a 0.002" tolerance and computer controlled only thing that makes any sense that may have slipped out of someones mouth while talking is manfuacturing overhead cost and labour cost depending on country of manufacturing and the biggest thing we all know about paying for the name!

If you google yukon gear reviews they are known for some ratios being perfect setups every time using facotry shims and run quiet then other ratios and axles they offer are complete junk nothing but problems and same goes for other brands...

Im leaning towards its the old age ego thing... guys buy what they have always bought, if a shop or a wheeler started out using Yukon he swares buy yukon just like he loves coors light and lincoln electric welders... has nothing to do with the quality of the product its personal preference.

but when you break it down lets say welders for examble you got esab, liburdi, fronius, lincon, miller, titan, tweco, blah blah blah all these colours all these names and brands but you want to tell me that the capacitor inside isnt the same in each from a mass factory that makes the worlds capacitors? and the resistors and the bridge rectifier? theres only so many places in this world of ours that make so many things and then companies come up with ideas and buy up these products from the factory and market them as a finished product.

Am I crazy? is this just my personal opinion? or is there fact behind these statements? haha Im just getting frustrated when one shop i chat with says oh buy motive gear for sure! next says hands down yukon and next richmond gear only no one else oh no get nitro they are the best... ugh rant over!
    2012 JKU Sahara, SD HP60 Front, GM 14 Bolt shaved rear, 5.38s, locked/Spooled, 4 link front 3 link rear, Oris, TR Double Beadlocks, 42" tsl sx2, PSC Full Hydro, D3 bumpers, D3 skids, D3 Rock Rails, D3 Cage, and lots more...
    OF4WD #5252

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 32 Secs
    well said !!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

My Mood
    Lurking

1 tonning JK's

We'll I just got this response back from nitro gear I feel he handled it very professionally with nothing to hide u like motive gear who literally hung up on me twice haha
    Thanks for reaching out. You will see a lot of different prices shopping around based on manufacture and brand. A lot of the lower cost gears are cut in India or China which are known to have less quality control and a lot of time only have single lapping if they are lapped at all and usually are not rock well tested for correct hardness. The gears that are on the higher end are usually an OE gear or a gear cut in Korea where the majority of OE gears are cut anymore. With gears it really does come to you get what you pay for. Our gears are cut in South Korea in the plants that cut OE gears they are triple lapped, heat treated and then Rockwell tested for hardness. We are very competitive in price for the quality as we are a large manufacture and have thousands of gears made yearly so we get a good deal and pass that to our customers. Yukon has their premium line and their budget line but even with their Yukon line I would put our gears up against theirs any day of the week for quality. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out and I'll be happy to help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 8 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by just-lift-it View Post
    We'll I just got this response back from nitro gear I feel he handled it very professionally with nothing to hide u like motive gear who literally hung up on me twice haha
    Thanks for reaching out. You will see a lot of different prices shopping around based on manufacture and brand. A lot of the lower cost gears are cut in India or China which are known to have less quality control and a lot of time only have single lapping if they are lapped at all and usually are not rock well tested for correct hardness. The gears that are on the higher end are usually an OE gear or a gear cut in Korea where the majority of OE gears are cut anymore. With gears it really does come to you get what you pay for. Our gears are cut in South Korea in the plants that cut OE gears they are triple lapped, heat treated and then Rockwell tested for hardness. We are very competitive in price for the quality as we are a large manufacture and have thousands of gears made yearly so we get a good deal and pass that to our customers. Yukon has their premium line and their budget line but even with their Yukon line I would put our gears up against theirs any day of the week for quality. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out and I'll be happy to help you.

with a response like that id gladly go with them they stand behind their product and don't bash the other company's stuff to look good
    91 Renagade
    frame replacement and more http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...91-yj-renagade

Re: 1 tonning JK's

Quote Originally Posted by just-lift-it View Post

And the winner is... Lol. If I didn't already buy G2 gears I know I would be going with these guys thanks to this response!

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 17 Hrs 23 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 47 Secs
    And as you've already stated......the same material, processed the same and then heat treated the same can only be what it is...the same.....finding out about the different finishing processes that each manufacturer applies to their gears is really the only way!
    Hang up responses sure don't make for confident buying experiences and I would think any company would love for the opportunity to explain to a customer the benefits of their product. I truly find it frustrating that it is often so difficult to find a simple manufacturing spec sheet on some of these products....like you, I certainly don't need or want a salesman spinning his nonsense industry catchphrases!

I would also like to say thanks for doing all this research legwork.....I know it will be a helpful addition to this site. Mods, maybe a sticky?
    OF4WD member #7498

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 58 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 40 Secs
    Second line Yukon (didn't quite pass the first cut lol). Half the price and a bunch of us are running them with no problems. Just need to set them up proper. Another option, if its still an option, been a few years.
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

My Mood
    Lurking

1 tonning JK's

Yup USA alloy gears are yukons second line of gears and are only like 200$ prolly go with nitro though! Since not many run em and I got a good reaponse!

My Mood
    Lurking

1 tonning JK's

Here's a quick pic of my front 60 started adding some goodies finally

Who's truss kit?

My Mood
    Lurking

1 tonning JK's

Our own for 05+ superduty 60

Nice.

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 32 Secs
    keeping it low on the carrier for ground clearance ..looks cool

My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Piratexpress1369a View Post
    keeping it low on the carrier for ground clearance ..looks cool
    gotta try and keep that up travel!! the overall goal im striving for is 3-4" lift total I just picked up a set of 42" swamper on rims for $400 mind you there not in good shape but will be used to mock up and testing out back the shop for suspension cycle once complete and it all works out good it will get new 42" swamper SX because i like the sx and they look sweet it was that or pitbull but everyone and thier uncle run pitbull now so i have to be odd and run old school tried and true swampers because i can haha

My Mood
    Lurking

1 tonning JK's

So got to go at it for two hours tonight got a little further ahead haha

My front is ready to new parts and assembly finally here's a few crappy cell pics because I'm to lazy to get a good camera and sit down and load them all up

My lower long arms complete 2"x.25" DOM with 1.25" hiems from Tim and mike

Axle was sand blasted here then I sweat it with torches so it just warm to touch then primed it

The sprayed it with a few quick coats of semi gloss dupli colour looks glossy in the pic because it's still wet still needs a few coats and touch up all the spots I missed

And finally for those wondering we removed 2" off the casting on the drivers side because there is only 3/4" of tube showing from factory but even after cutting off the 2" of cast there still a good 4" of tube pressed in the housing with a few rose welds, after cutting it we preheat the housing weld around the tube then peen the weld post weld heat treat and wrap in blankets along with our truss system and all the brackets tied together I have zero worries of a failure at this location

So all the brackets and truss and such I made mine as we'll say that before people are asking where I got this or that haha

Cheers

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 17 Hrs 23 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 47 Secs
    Look at those hole reinforcements!! Pure sexy beefyness!!! Yaaaaaaaa

My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekooy View Post
    Look at those hole reinforcements!! Pure sexy beefyness!!! Yaaaaaaaa
    Weld washers haha tmr sells them! just made my own great idea for style and strength keep the holes from oval out over time...

slowly getting this damn thing together haha the goal was for may 24 i go to ardbeg every year but its not looking promising since i change my direction I was planning on just running my evo lift and such but now im ordering ORI all around which put a few grand on the build so we will see if I can get it done in time! or atleast driveable to go for a little bit of fun even if its not 100% done

Time Online: 1 Mth 20 Hrs 24 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 32 Secs
    How did you determine the angle of the lower control arm mounts?
    I'm asking because what I know is you have to have it under the rig to determine the angle.
    Don't ask me cause I don't know.

My Mood
    Lurking

1 tonning JK's

Which angle are you talking about?