Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why I can't get fire and theft insurance put on my jeep???

Time Online: 2 Wks 14 Hrs 39 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 12 Secs
    Well good luck with your situation. Me and my buddies have had nothing but good luck with our rigs, but this thing sounds cursed haha!

Cheers.

Time Online: 2 Days 5 Hrs 59 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Secs
    I had an issue with a broker dropping me in the past. I had a string of bad luck where people just kept hitting my cars. (hit from behind at a light, t-boned when two old ladies ran a stop sign while looking at each other talking, lane changed into, and car hooked and dragged from a parking spot from a 70's conversion van bumper, all within a couple year span)

I called around to all kinds of places and everyone quoted me more than double of what I was paying, even though I had no at fault accidents on my record.

Eventually a smaller broker filled me in on what he claimed was a secret. He told me every insurance company by law has to have an independent unbiased ombudsman to oversee any customer/insurance disputes. He told me to call my old insurance company and ask to speak to the ombudsman and state my case. I called and asked for the ombudsman. Sure enough one existed, and I proceeded to tell the guy what happened and what my request was (to renew my insurance at the same rate). He took my info and said he would investigate the matter. Within two weeks I was back up and running (although he renewed me through a different broker).

Anyways, I think if you attack it from that angle you might have some better luck.

Jason

Time Online: 2 Days 23 Hrs 26 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs
    ferretman, i can see why you could get upset. a few folks got their info completely crossed up. i would follow d-dog advice. sounds pretty solid and reasonable. as far as requesting structural and mechanical safeties, this is to ensure that there has been no hidden, as in undiscovered damage, ie a cracked frame etc. remember they are insuring you and the vehicle. they want to make sure it is a safe vehicle. most stolen vehicles have the hell driven out of them.the insurance company is covering their backside. it has nothing to do with you doing the work. but all that is no excuse for them not allowing fire and theft on your jeep. that is simply a BS move by your insurance company.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 8 Mths 3 Days 23 Hrs 1 Min 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 5 Secs
    Insurance companies run on a 2 word theory.
    RISK MANAGEMENT.
    Your circumstances in the past year pose a risk.
    The inspections and stuff they are requesting are to reduce the "RISK" on their part.
    Without the inspections, plus now wanting to add fire and theft on something after it has been stolen once already = no thanks we don't want to insure you go elsewhere.
    It is a simple theory, and yes it sucks, but that is how insurance companies operate!
    Stop fighting with people over their opinions, they are just that, opinions! If you don't want to hear them, then don't ask for them on an open forum.
    BTW. some of your posts, threads are so ****in hard to follow it is ridiculous.
    WARNING! I am about to do something really fawking STUPID!!!!!!
    ᄅ# pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    93 YJ- RIP- parted out like I should be

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 2 Hrs 47 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 23 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by thing1 View Post
    Stop fighting with people over their opinions, they are just that, opinions! If you don't want to hear them, then don't ask for them on an open forum.
    2dr 5spd Cherokee
    I want to be tugged
    SMWIA 539

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 2 Mths 14 Hrs 52 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 44 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dog View Post
    I had an issue with a broker dropping me in the past. I had a string of bad luck where people just kept hitting my cars. (hit from behind at a light, t-boned when two old ladies ran a stop sign while looking at each other talking, lane changed into, and car hooked and dragged from a parking spot from a 70's conversion van bumper, all within a couple year span)

I called around to all kinds of places and everyone quoted me more than double of what I was paying, even though I had no at fault accidents on my record.

Eventually a smaller broker filled me in on what he claimed was a secret. He told me every insurance company by law has to have an independent unbiased ombudsman to oversee any customer/insurance disputes. He told me to call my old insurance company and ask to speak to the ombudsman and state my case. I called and asked for the ombudsman. Sure enough one existed, and I proceeded to tell the guy what happened and what my request was (to renew my insurance at the same rate). He took my info and said he would investigate the matter. Within two weeks I was back up and running (although he renewed me through a different broker).

Anyways, I think if you attack it from that angle you might have some better luck.

Jason

thank you D-Dog that is actually helpful and I may do that very soon and call my old broker and ask to speak to their ombudsman about what happened.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    I have no problem buying the beer but need a ride to the beer store.

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 2 Hrs 53 Mins 26 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 50 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferretman View Post
    thank you D-Dog that is actually helpful and I may do that very soon and call my old broker and ask to speak to their ombudsman about what happened.
    You need to call your insurance company to speak to their ombudsman. A broker does not have this option.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Quote Originally Posted by thing1 View Post

Yes I know they can be hard to follow at times. Sometimes I do have problems getting whats in my head down on paper or computer screen at times my mind just goes to fast for me. and yes I Have been getting frustrated rather easy but in the last year I have been changing my whole life ( I am not starting back up again on the ground floor rather I am starting from the 6th sub level thanks to my ex wife ) Since my divorce.

I am trying to learn how to fix my jeep my self and this is rather new to other than standard fluid changes and tires and brakes type stuff ( the normal maintenance work I can do ).

But pulling axles replacing bearings in the axle repairing my transmission, all that stuff is new to me but as I complete more repairs I am building more confidence in what I am doing.

Plus the main reason I am trying to keep my heap running and stuff is because I have a full parts jeep that just everything off it will fit mine so I have a lot of spare parts including an engine and transmission ( transmission was the reason it was got but the tranny came with a whole jeep around it) so I am not throwing a lot of good money at bad. Right now all I am spending on my heap is time.

So scraping or selling at this time is not an option as I don't have the cash flow right now to buy a different vehicle and pay for all the safety, emissions and other stuff right now so I have to make what I have last till I can find something better that I can afford but with all the negative stuff I am being told it kind of makes me want to stay away from jeeps.

I didn't buy a jeep because of their name I bought a JEEP because of the durability and usefulness of a 4x4 even on the Grand Cherokee in the snow we get here in Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    You need to call your insurance company to speak to their ombudsman. A broker does not have this option.
    Well there is my problem it is the broker that screwed everything up on me to start with. It was them insisting that I take the insurance off the jeep and put it on the truck that was not even my name yet. They said that way I would still be able to keep my insurance active and I was told nothing about having to get all these things done if the jeep was recovered.

From my point of view if they had left the insurance on the jeep like they were asked to then I would not of had to get it put back on when the jeep was recovered. Then if they said they needed the check if I wanted the fire and theft put on, it would not of been a problem because I could still use it while I was debugging it and fixing it.

As for it's age then everyone with a car or what ever more than 20 years old better scrap them and every place that restores old car better close up because that can't get insurance without jumping through hoops and giving up their first and second born so the age thing is nothing but BS.

sorry last part is just my point of view

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 22 Hrs 55 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 37 Secs
    Oh I agree that the age discrimination is bs, it does however exist. There is an age limit to what cars they will normally insure without you jumping through all kinds of hoops. Classic cars are another story and they frequently require an appraisal.

Again as CDT said, your broker doesn't have an ombudsman. The actual insurance company does. Start there, state your case to the ombudsman and go from there. Like d-dog said they may put you in touch with a new broker but at least you will get what you need.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 23 Hrs 25 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 7 Secs
    There is one thing common to many of your threads. You ask for help / advice and then lose your sh!t when you hear stuff you don't like. This is the Internet and like most forums out there you sometimes need a thick skin and have to look where the comments are coming from.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	100757

Quote Originally Posted by EXRACER#2 View Post
    There is one thing common to many of your threads. You ask for help / advice and then lose your sh!t when you hear stuff you don't like. This is the Internet and like most forums out there you sometimes need a thick skin and have to look where the comments are coming from.
    That has all ready been addressed and corrected but if you read through this thread you will see it was not me getting mixed up. Others were getting stuck on things that didn't matter and got confused between the 2 vehicles i was talking about and giving me wrong information. That was what getting me annoyed

ID:	100757[/QUOTE]

As for this picture. It is just plain rude and if you are suggesting that I might have some form of mental incompacitation then i suggest you go back and run your race again.

Btw i am looking at where the comments are coming from.
    Last edited by ferretman; 01-27-2015 at 10:32 AM.

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 23 Hrs 25 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 7 Secs
    Like I said a thicker skin is needed. No suggestions about anyone's mental capacity were implied. Tongue in cheek funny ha ha tried to lighten things up. Your sensitivity is making you far too vulnerable to ghosts. You keep seeing things where there is nothing.

The more times you pick a new fight the less chance you have of people siding with you. The less chance you have of people trying to help. The less chance you have of people even wanting to offer anything when you post.

I do not have any clue why you are having insurance issues. Wish I could offer a suggestion. But insurance as an industry isn't always "fair" at the consumer end. My wife and I used to live 2 blocks from the highest risk intersection in all of Canada. Didn't matter that I was a six star driver based on my claims, accidents, driving / speeding record. Living in Brampton in that area made my insurance rates ridiculous. My insurance company did not offer ANY motorcycle insurance because of our address. Since moving I now get a cheaper rate for a newer truck, full coverage on my BMW Z3, and my Yamaha scooter. It all comes down to risk. The risk I pose to my insurer is less now with more vehicles than one vehicle in a higher risk area. Can't say it is fair but it is what it is.

Your risk is higher as a single man than a married man. Or at least that is what the insurers say. Add in a theft. Sure you couldn't make a claim due to lack of theft coverage but you are a proven risk now and you want to add that exact coverage. They know your vehicle is now a risk for theft. They have a report that says your vehicle was found with no tires and rims if I remember your previous posts correctly. Knowing it was towed / moved in this condition they are assuming some damage was done. They just want to ensure they are not assuming any poor risk. Heck if I was buying your truck from you knowing its history I would want an inspection done by putting it on a lift so I can see anything that isn't obvious from above. Your insurer is not in the vehicle inspection business. So they want someone who is to give them a green light that there is no additional risk they are taking on.

I get it you are a victim. But your insurer doesn't want to be a victim any more than you do. Sometimes in life we get the short end of the stick. Sometimes life isn't fair. Sometimes people / companies don't do the right thing and you get shafted. It's life. Be happy you are alive. I just buried two friends because of cancer last year. Neither made it to 50. Your insurance problems are irrelevant in the big picture. You are alive. You are free to find a new partner since your divorce. You got your Jeep back after being stolen. Life isn't so bad.

I had a great aunt who always said if you always look for the bad in everything you will find it. If you always look for the good in everything you will find that instead. Think about that for a week or so before replying. Your problems may just be challenges. It all depends on ones perspective.

Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 2 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 10 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferretman View Post

ID:	100757
    As for this picture. It is just plain rude and if you are suggesting that I might have some form of mental incompacitation then i suggest you go back and run your race again.

Btw i am looking at where the comments are coming from.[/QUOTE]

Simply a joke... If you do not take kindly to them, and public forums, then I suggest you close your screen slowly and drink tea.
    IT'S TWEETER B!TCHEZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Pav1 View Post
    "PIPPI APPROVED"
    Attachment 91983
    2004 Subaru forester 2.5 turbo AWD "The General"

1997 TJ sport Rollin' on 33's "Woah Black Betty"

Time Online: 2 Days 5 Hrs 59 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Secs
    Not to stir the pot, but did you ever get any results?

Jason

Jason
    No not yet haven't had a chance to see my old broker or talk to the actual insurance company yet to many other things going on. but thanks for asking.

Jason
    No not yet haven't had a chance to see my old broker or talk to the actual insurance company yet to many other things going on. but thanks for asking.

Time Online: 3 Days 7 Hrs 39 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs
    This is the funniest shit I have read in ages.
    OF4WD #9396,
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit: Stock
    2005 Jeep LJ: 2" Suspension lift, 1" Body lift, Tummy tuck, Rock Sliders, CB, Limb Risers, Front and Back Smittybilt bumpers, 12,000lbs Smittybilt winch, 32" KM2's, Fun stuff.

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 11 Hrs 18 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 36 Secs
    oh wow, I forgot about this one....
    a learning experience is one of those things that says, you know that thing you just did...don't do that again.