Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Project buggy revive

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 48 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 45 Secs
    Good stuff Bernie. If You need a grill cut i know a guy with a plasma. lol. Didn't even cross my mind to just cut my own. Should add some plexis for those chilly or moist days
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 3 Days 15 Hrs 1 Min 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 21 Secs
    I need to read up on TH 350. I remember reading that you can swap internals with Fords and Chevys TC.

Yes I have a Ford 205 mated to NP 235, there is an 6''ish long adapter in my set up.

Do I look for Th 350 in pre 86 4x4 TRUCKS?
    92 RENEGADE

ECNALUBMA NA SI PEEJ REHTHO YM

82 Toyota long bed

That's awesome Curt. I might bring you a cardboard tinplate. This will give me the reason to check out your new castle.

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 33 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    I did not realize you are using a Ford 205. I think all Ford 205's had the big input bearing but I would need to look into that further. If that is the case, there is no simple way to swap in a GM TH350 input into it. If it is the small bearing, the input will be interchangeable.

That alone could be a bit of stumbling block. Using a TH400 and swapping in the TH400 input in the Ford case would be the simple solution at that point. At that point, you would need to find a TH400 and TH400 version 205 with the round pattern (not the Figure 8) adapter rob it of its input shaft and adapter to use on your Ford 205.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Time Online: 6 Days 21 Hrs 29 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 34 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippilongstocking View Post
    I did not realize you are using a Ford 205. I think all Ford 205's had the big input bearing but I would need to look into that further. If that is the case, there is no simple way to swap in a GM TH350 input into it. If it is the small bearing, the input will be interchangeable.

That alone could be a bit of stumbling block. Using a TH400 and swapping in the TH400 input in the Ford case would be the simple solution at that point. At that point, you would need to find a TH400 and TH400 version 205 with the round pattern (not the Figure 8) adapter rob it of its input shaft and adapter to use on your Ford 205.
    ORD Magnum box or NWF Titan Blackbox - get a shorty doubler and solve the mating problem (big bearing required, allows clocking and handles both figure 8 and round patterns). Not cheap, but would be a win/win to get the auto in there with the 205 you have already.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    For sure a black box is the ideal solution to many compatibility issues if you can justify the cost.

241 TC doubler

I want to replace my 435 stick with TH400/241 doubler 205(Ford) on my CRAWLER. I found this info.

[IMG] Starting in about 1987, the New Process 231/241 series transfer case became standard in Jeep, Dodge, and Chevrolet applications. These transfer cases are part time 4WD (Shift positions 4HI - 2HI - N - 4L). They have a relatively thin aluminum housing. They are 1:1 direct drive in high range, and use planetary reduction gears for low range with a ratio of 2.72:1 They use chain drive for the front output. The NP241 was typically used in V8 applications. Exact identification: These New Process cases have a circular plate, about 2" in dia., on the rear of the case, in the center. Full identification info for the case is on this plate Bolt Pattern: Jeep, Dodge and Chevy versions all use a 6 bolt circular bolt pattern. This pattern is NOT symmetrical and will only bolt up one way. You can typically bolt a Jeep unit to a Dodge transmission and vice versa, however Chevrolet units are NOT cross compatible: While GM uses the same 6 bolt patter, they have it rotate approximately 90 degrees from that used by jeep dodge. In all of these 6 bolt applications the Klune-V Extreme Underdrive will bolt up to these transfer cases directly with adapters necessary. Some may require a spacer. Slip-Yoke Eliminator All of these units we have seen have been equipped with a slip-yoke rear output. Slip-Yoke Eliminator kits are available for most of these transfer cases GM New Process 241 Transfer Case In 1988, GM began using the NP241 transfer cases. Most of these units will be right hand drop, but Chevy also used a few left hand drop applications. The Chevy NP241 is supplied with a 27 spline female input or a 32 spline female input. With a T350, 4L60E or 700R4 tranny, it will be 27 spline. With a T400 or 4L80E trans or 5 speed, it will be 32 spline.[/IMG]

My question is all 1ton 80's chevy trucks with TH400 4X4 have 241 TC in them?

DOUBLER

NWF ECO BOX BILLET PLANETARY DOUBLER CASE

Part Number BB-ECO-
    NWF Eco Box Billet Planetary Doubler Case
    Description
    Bringing the quality and craftsmanship of the original, the BlackBox-Eco was designed for the 4x4’er on a budget. While retaining the originals technology, quality and durability, the Eco is minimized to reduce cost. Designed to be a DIY builder kit; cases are shipped empty, and the customer provides the gears, and does the install and assembly. Low Range on a budget.
    While the installation requires an intermediate level of mechanical aptitude, we also provide an installation overview.
    Included In the Eco-Crawl Kit:
    Front & Rear Billet 6061-T6 Case Halves
    8620 Heat Treated Output Shaft
    Roller Output Bearing
    Internal Shifter Assembly
    Hardware Pack

Additional Parts Required:
    Planetary Gear Assembly From 231/241 (6 pinion recommended)
    Input Bearing From 231/241
    Shift Range collar From Manual shift 231/241

Optional Cable Shifter
    Optional Dual Oiling Billet Input Retainer
    Need an input shaft? We’ve got them.
    Optional Mounting Foot.

** Note: To install a 31 Spline Input Shaft into one of our Eco Cases machining on the O.D of the Input is Required. Also a Special Pocket Bearing Adapter is required to install the proper Pocket Bearing. Please Call for more Information. **

**Note: To install an Eco Box to a Dana 300 a Spacer is required for input/input retainer clearance. Please see part number CR-D300-A or if you are flipping the Dana 300 to Drivers Drop CR-D300-A-FLIP**

Email a friend Email a friend
    Price
    Your Price: $729.00

My Mood
    Buzzed
    To the best of my knowledge, no 80's 1 ton GM truck ever had a 241. They had a 205. I'm pretty sure this would have extended to 1991. However, an 88 and later 3/4 ton should have a 208 or 241, I think.

So I guess it's safe to say if I grab the TC and tranny from the same donor truck that has TH 400, 241TC with identification plate saying it's 241 it should have 32 spline female input.

I'm waiting from the seller to verify this for me.

What are you running for tranny Cheyne? What else does everyone else typically run?

I'm going to call North West Fab to verify that I need the 32 spline female input 241.

I would like to keep the cost down with this swap.
    Last edited by PRIORITY 4; 12-28-2015 at 11:58 PM.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by PRIORITY 4 View Post
    So I guess it's safe to say if I grab the TC and tranny from the same donor truck that has TH 400, 241TC with identification plate saying it's 241 it should have 32 spline female input.
    Yup.

What are you running for tranny Cheyne?
    I run a lock up TH350.

I'm going to call North West Fab to verify that I need the 32 spline female input 241.
    If you run a TH400 or 4L80, you will need the 32 spline input on the 241. If you are going to run a TH350 or 700R4/4L60, you will need the 27 spline input.

Time Online: 6 Days 21 Hrs 29 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 34 Secs
    Slight hi-jack

I run a lock up TH350.
    I've never heard really good things about a lockup 350 - how do you like it? Is it an electronic lockup? Can you lock it in all gears?

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunker View Post
    I've never heard really good things about a lockup 350 - how do you like it?
    I love it. The transmission itself, is pretty much identical to a standard TH350. Internals and mods are the same, etc. The lock up apply pressure and clutch surface area are not huge so care has to be taken when using it. I can slip it at will with a little too much throttle. I only use it for steady state cruising and it knocks 300-400 RPM off the cruise RPM which is nice reduction. I did have a custom converter built because I was running nitrous at the time but the lock up, itself, is stock. It would be easy to abuse and fry the lock up if it is misused.

I like it because I end up with an affordable, well-built trans that still cruises at speed reasonably well. But make no mistake, it is a no frills, poor mans OD. I wouldn't mind a well built 4 spd auto but it costs about 3 times as much money to build to the same caliber. If my heep spent much time cruising at 100 KM/H, I would definitely want an OD. But it doesn't...and cruises fine at 80 KM/H with the lock up engaged. For limited street use, it works well.

Is it an electronic lockup?
    Nope. It is el manual. I just run a momentary push button switch a relay and a diode. I use the brake pedal switch to break the circuit after it is energized with the push button. So, I just tap the brake pedal to unlock it. That way, you never have to remember to unlock it when you are coming to a stop but can choose when to lock it at any time.

Can you lock it in all gears?
    Yes, you can. However, mine is not set up to do that. I was going to go that route but after using it for a while and having it tied in with the brake switch, I decided not to bother with it. I had no use for lock up in anything but 3rd gear.

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 20 Hrs 9 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 51 Secs

Project buggy revive

I thought the 350 l/u was lock-up in 3rd only...well, in stock form anyway.
    '99 XJ Sport - Black - BUILD THREAD
    '13 Ram 1500 QC - Black Gold

Shocker #5
    OF4WD #8158

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
    I thought the 350 l/u was lock-up in 3rd only...well, in stock form anyway.
    Correct. OEM lock apply only occurs in 3rd gear.

TURBO 400/241C from 1990 CK3500. Was just rebuilt with 7000ish Kms. I'm positive tgey are match with 32 spline. I split them from the truck. The tranny guy cared, he even gave it blue paint.

I'm un decided if I'm going to spend money and have my tranny guy to have a look. I think I will change the filter and oil and run it.

I'm in the market for shifter. I want to keep it simple for now. Eventually I want reverse shift pattern.......PARK-----REVERSE----NEUTRAL----1----2-----3

What are guys running for shifter?

[IMG] photo 20160103_135758_zpsn039tzay.jpg[/IMG

ID tag

[IMG] photo 20160103_140041_zpspi6vntdz.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by PRIORITY 4; 01-04-2016 at 06:12 PM.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    TURBO 400/241C from 1990 CK3500. Was just rebuilt with 7000ish Kms. I'm positive tgey are match with 32 spline. I split them from the truck. The tranny guy cared, he even gave it blue paint.
    They are 32 spline...there was no other output shaft sizes for a TH400.

I'm un decided if I'm going to spend money and have my tranny guy to have a look. I think I will change the filter and oil and run it.
    I would consider it money well spent to have the trans gone through while it is out sitting on a bench. You really have no idea what kind of condition it is in without disassembling it. As long as the pump is in good shape, it is not expensive to inspect and freshen up a stock TH400. It will NEVER be more convenient than now to get this taken care of.

I'm in the market for shifter. I want to keep it simple for now. Eventually I want reverse shift pattern.......PARK-----REVERSE----NEUTRAL----1----2-----3
    You would need a reverse pattern manual valve body to allow for a reverse pattern shifter to work. Unless there is some type of shifter I'm not familiar with that is somehow capable of reversing the throw of the cable mid stroke and flipping the orientation of the gears. That would seem unlikely. A reverse pattern manual valve body is popular with drag racing but it does mean that the trans will no longer shift automatically.

What are guys running for shifter?
    I use an old school B&M. But if I were buying a shifter today, I would keep it simple and use a Winters gate shifter.

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    Love my Art Carr shifter

Pattern is P R N 1 2 3. I cut out the gate to allow a direct shift from any gear other then P to reverse.
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Winters is the manufacturer of the Art Carr shifter.

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    Winters is the manufacturer of the Art Carr shifter.
    They are now...

what's the deal/hype with this ART CARR shifters compared to B&M shifters?