Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 73 CJ OM617 swap

Time Online: 9 Hrs 12 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    New clutch disc to accommodate the odd ball 1 1/16" spline all installed with the adapted and balanced flywheel. Adaptor plate and modified oil pan. Mated to the T-18 granny low and original Dana 20 T-case. Starting to look like something finally!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	953.8 KB 
ID:	101752 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	23 
Size:	925.7 KB 
ID:	101753

I gotta apologize for all the sideways pics in this string. I'm a wrench wielding gear head... Not overly tech savvy. Anyways, been busily getting things prepped for the fit / install. Drained the tank and stripped the front clip off the old heep.

Views:	22 
Size:	1,001.1 KB 
ID:	101754

As a little side note I built a tank for this rig a couple years ago. The original tank was gone back in the '80's and I ran a wierd tank that we found (cuz it fit... Sorta) from a tractor for years. The tank I built is a little stronger than the original. The sides are 1/8" plate steel and the bottom is 1/4" steel checker plate. It's welded all around and the fittings are brazed over the welds. The inside is lined with fuel tank sealing epoxy just for good measure and there is a drain plug at the lowest point just because I've been there and have the t-shirt. The fuel gage is for a '77 CJ and works nicely with the original dash gauges. The red was only to seal it up and it's now black.
    Total volume is 10 gallons. It's not much... I know.

Views:	21 
Size:	822.4 KB 
ID:	101755Click image for larger version. 

Views:	19 
Size:	911.8 KB 
ID:	101756

Views:	23 
Size:	924.6 KB 
ID:	101757Click image for larger version. 

Views:	21 
Size:	893.4 KB 
ID:	101758

The oil pan needed a little adjusting on the bottom corner closest to the diff.

Views:	16 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	101836

Once that was finished the fitting began again. Had to hang the engine / tranny combo in place and begin at the rear driveshaft. Before this swap I had 1" spacers to drop the tailstock, they're gone now. Had to check my pinion angles and suspension travel. New mounting holes in the frame rails needed to be drilled but I'm happy with it for now. But it is a jeep after all... Nothing is permanent!
    It's fitting nice.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	29 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	101837
    Last edited by jstouth; 05-27-2015 at 09:20 AM.

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 11 Hrs 57 Mins 37 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 6 Secs
    looking great buddy...can't wait to hear/see this thing chug down the trails
    04 LJ 4.5" lift on 35's, has some junk & needing more
    97 TJ 2"BB on 32's
    97 ZJ 3" skyjacker on 32's, skids, tow-points, hacked and mismatched bumpers (sold)

Views:	19 
Size:	286.7 KB 
ID:	101936
    Engine mounts are done and look clean.

Views:	18 
Size:	948.4 KB 
ID:	101937
    The threaded in plugs in the cooling jackets on the side of the block didn't want to budge. I didn't feel like moving the injector pump out of the way to make access so we welded shut the two sensor holes in the thermostat housing. Redtilled and tapped. My thermostatic control for the cooling fan and the mechanical temperature gage now fit nicely. Not worried about heat from the egr tube since its deleted.
    Rad, oil cooler, power steering, fuel and exhaust are all in now.
    Last edited by jstouth; 06-14-2015 at 12:31 AM.

Just going over details now as we prepare for a start up this weekend. When I started out all I had was a vision and a tape measure. This old CJ is tight on space but so far it's fitting nicely together. Ill have a bunch of pics this weekend and will update.
    Decided to build an exhaust and it looks great. Used a cooling fan from a 99 Sunfire I had scrapped because it fit nicely with a few mods behind my stock sized radiator and built a shroud that would allow me to mount the original oil cooler from the Benz right beside the cooling fan. Nice big K&N air filter stuffed in there and the original (off the shelf) delco alternator adapted to the engine. Coolant lines and heater core lines and engine wiring. It's been a bit since I updated last but ill catch up this weekend and hopefully be able to tell of a successful start up.

Test fire today!! It runs. Took a few minutes to bleed out the injectors and I've got to check all the glow plugs to ensure they're all good. Got to back it out of the garage under its own power and parked it in the pouring rain to wash off several months of shop dust.
    Next step is to recheck the valve clearance adjustments after running and the cam chain timing while I'm in there.

Really liking the T-18'slow first gear already. My grandma could walk faster!!
    https://youtu.be/qRHAqiwLqbU
    Last edited by jstouth; 06-28-2015 at 03:09 PM.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Wk 21 Hrs 39 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 38 Secs
    Great to see things working out.

Hey, I wanted to touch base since having the OM617 installed and running for a while. The diesel is definately louder and vibrates more than the gasser but that was obvious going into this project. The modifications required to make it work nicely are involved and not really for the faint of heart or mechanically unskilled. But it is a cool package when completed.
    I'm running 30's with 3:73's and a T18 so gearing is reasonably low and allows the little diesel to wind up nicely. It's a nice little engine for torque and can idle in 4th gear without stumbling (not sure why that matters but it's a nice torque test for a layman). The stock turbo is noticeable but isn't like the Holset I had on my 5.9 Cummins. I haven't tried any deep mud but I'm thinking I may have to really lean on it if I want wheel speed. As for crawling it seems solid. I'm doing about 1.7 mph at 1000 rpm which is nice.
    The blow by would be a problem for any environmentally sensitive people. Because I swapped the stock air breather for a K&N filter I don't currently have anywhere to collect the vapor. If you were to do a swap for a customer it may be prudent to include an emission vapor pump in the costing.
    Currently with mixed on road driving I'm averaging around 25 mpg. The engine handles 60 mpg better than the Jeep.

I'm happy with the build up so far and I really like the little diesel but I was a diesel fan before I swapped it in.

Not sure if any of this is useful information for you but I will gladly try to answer any specific questions if I can.
    Last edited by jstouth; 08-17-2015 at 10:28 AM.