Thread: 2010 JK Headlight issue, Halogen bulbs

Time Online: 1 Day 8 Hrs 30 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs

2010 JK Headlight issue, Halogen bulbs

Hey all,
    I have a two questions about an issue on my wife's 2010 JK. The stock headlights on the JK suck, we know this. I replaced the bulbs a bunch of times over the years and tried Sylvania, GE, Stock which I think is Bosch. The bright bulbs from GE and Sylvania are decent when I first put them in but get dim and almost useless yet don't actually burn out. This last time however I only got around 4 months. WTF?! That's just not acceptable.
    Is this a common thing, even with halogen type bulbs, on this truck? I am getting seriously annoyed with paying $$$ for lights that only last 4 months. I've never had this big a problem on ANY other vehicle.

Here are my actual two questions
    Is there an actual issue with our JK or do others burn through halogen bulbs like this too?
    What's the best, most cost effective solution? (Keep in mind I think it's unacceptable for someone to HAVE to pay hundreds for an aftermarket LED/HID solution because Chrysler and bulb companies can't make a decent product)

Thanks, from a frustrated owner. We love the truck otherwise.
    D.

Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 52 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 49 Secs
    The problem isn't so much the bulbs as it is the housings on a jk. I just upgraded to truck lite led headlight and putco led for lights on my 2012 jku Sahara and now I don't even run for lights as my low beams are so bright. If u talk to the parts guys at just jeeps they can set u up with a reasonable price for a housing and bulb upgrade, so far I'm up to 700 bucks in lighting between the headlights and the fogs

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 3 Days 19 Hrs 52 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 21 Secs
    welcome to jeepkings!

Yeah jk lights suck, a lot of new vehicles eat lights because of the drl systems using low voltage and bulbs dont like it especially higher output aftermarket bulbs it happens in a lot of cars if you search around many people complain.

"cheap and upgrade" do not go together... you either spend the cash once and buy quality good expensive product like trucklite or jw speaker or hid projectors or you stay cheap and stock... not much other advice I can give

there are middle of the road solutions but again not the best bang for buck... sorry to hear about your fristrations with the jeep but we all know what you mean!! damn first world problems haha
    2012 JKU Sahara, SD HP60 Front, GM 14 Bolt shaved rear, 5.38s, locked/Spooled, 4 link front 3 link rear, Oris, TR Double Beadlocks, 42" tsl sx2, PSC Full Hydro, D3 bumpers, D3 skids, D3 Rock Rails, D3 Cage, and lots more...
    OF4WD #5252

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 37 Secs
    The issue is common with the high output bulbs. 6months is not uncommon. Keep your eye out for an inexpensive set of truck-lites.
    The other option is: hella ecode h4 housings, (about 65 or 75 a side) and a wireing harness to adapt the bulbs. If you want more light from that setup you need to add bulbs (I ran IPF fat boys they are not cheep) a relay harness as the stock one wont do a high Watt bulb, and a procal to get rid of flicker.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 52 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 49 Secs
    Keep an eye out at traction truck parts they put the truck lite led headlight on sale for 190 each quote often and then the anti flicker modules are about 50 bucks a piece

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Time Online: 1 Day 8 Hrs 30 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    Oh I know you get what you pay for and I rarely modify on the cheap. I just can't stand basically being forced to upgrade this type of part, and the cost of doing it right is ridiculous.

I have been lurking here for a while but haven't had a lot to add because our jeep is mostly a stock beast of burden. No major upgrades for her.

D.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 2 Mths 2 Wks 2 Days 22 Hrs 56 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 19 Secs
    I had the same problem for years on mine. I replaced my headlights with the Delta H4 conversion and never looked back. I'm a cheap bastard and would n't spend the money on LED.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting-...DTI01-1148-50X
    2009 Sahara Unlimited
    2.5 Rough Counrty springs and shocks + 1" spacers
    Jks front and rear adjustable track bars
    Rugged Ridge light bar
    Daystar upper dash panel
    35x12.5x15 trxus MT - Black Rock Rims

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 37 Secs
    Basically the same as the hella setup but you don't have to find the harness adapter. I prefer the hella beam pattern but there sure is something to be said for one stop shopping.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 3 Days 19 Hrs 52 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 21 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimsbyAl View Post
    I had the same problem for years on mine. I replaced my headlights with the Delta H4 conversion and never looked back. I'm a cheap bastard and would n't spend the money on LED.
    Dude I agree with you LED isnt even very good..

and before the war begins yes I have had Trucklites on my junk and i got them used off here actually for a good deal and I was never happy with them maybe people who have never had a better setup think that they are the shit but they honestly suck and are way over priced...

JW speaker Evo2 are suppose to be super dope and people are digging them but at $900 for a set no way in hell I would buy them and having winter up here the headlights dont get hot and keep the snow off which is a pain unless they have heated lense but my truck light did not.

the "cheapest/best" setup I have personally ran on a jk and seen others run would be the Delta H4 housing with a 35w HID setup. it can be all done for a few hundred the housing has "decent" light output a few hot spots but not bad and is fairly cheap...

dont get me wrong I love led lights they serve a purpose in certain areas low current draw, long life, bright white colour, low heat and so on but the headlights on the market are less than impressive in my mind. HID out perform them all day long but you need a decent housing at a bare minimum to reap the benefit of an HID otherwise the flair will blind all on comming traffic. the best setup wout be with some sort of angle eye housing like I am now running but again stupid money we just got a hook up on the current build we couldnt turn down and they are the best performing lights I have ever seen in person!

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 2 Mths 2 Wks 2 Days 22 Hrs 56 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 19 Secs
    One more thing I like about the Delta conversion is the lenses are glass not plastic, no more foggy plastic lens.