Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: drive train swap questions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    oakville
    Posts
    4
    Time Online: 3 Hrs 17 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Rep Power
    0

    drive train swap questions

    Hey guys i m working on a yj project ATM and I'm looking into beefing up the axles t case engine and trans. Goals are to have something reliable to cruise on weekends and hit the occasional trail or mud hole. My idea is a fuel injected 350 mated to some manual trans and axles that can match what I need. I've been doing a lot of research and there's a lot of info I just don't know where to go with it it. Can you guys give me some of your opinions on what axles trans and t case to run with what I'm trying to accomplish?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    10,131
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 2 Days 12 Hrs 45 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 24 Secs
    Rep Power
    24
    Welcome to jeepkings

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    Posts
    4,937
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 28 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by g.i_jeep View Post
    Hey guys i m working on a yj project ATM and I'm looking into beefing up the axles t case engine and trans. Goals are to have something reliable to cruise on weekends and hit the occasional trail or mud hole. My idea is a fuel injected 350 mated to some manual trans and axles that can match what I need. I've been doing a lot of research and there's a lot of info I just don't know where to go with it it. Can you guys give me some of your opinions on what axles trans and t case to run with what I'm trying to accomplish?
    Tire size dictates pretty much everything when it comes to drivetrain changes. As well, how much power are you after?

    Tell us those things and we can offer some good feedback...
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687


    1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

    "Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    Posts
    4,937
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 28 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    Rep Power
    28
    Moved to General Jeep for more exposure to your tech related questions.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Hockley Valley, ON
    Posts
    5,112
    Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 35 Secs
    Rep Power
    21

    drive train swap questions

    If ur just after a weekend cruiser and occasional offroader, a stock YJ will be enough. Make sure it's the 4L, not the old dog 4.2, AX-15, and get a D44 for the rear. 33 or 35 inch tires are easily done with that drivetrain, and plenty reliable. You won't win any drag races or conquer king of the Hammers, but it's plenty for what you've said so far.
    OF4WD 5982 & 5983

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Redacted
    Posts
    4,997
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 8 Hrs 33 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 24 Secs
    Rep Power
    20
    Budget?
    A V8 means you'll want bigger axles which for the cost means 1-tons. When you put 1-tons in you'll want more ground clearance which means 38"+ tires. With that you'll need to at the bare minimum do spring-over leaf-spring suspension on the YJ or with the money a full coilover or ORI setup. You'll need to plumb and redo all the brakes, the brake master cylinder, and the brake booster. You'll need to go to hydraulic assisted steering.

    OR!

    Get a YJ with a 4.0L, swap in a Ford 8.8 rear end, put a commercially available lift-kit on it and some 35s.
    PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR
    99 TJ, HPD60/14B, TMR Customs 3 and 4 link, 40's.

    Project Sandstorm Remix

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    oakville
    Posts
    4
    Time Online: 3 Hrs 17 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Rep Power
    0
    I appreciate all the feed back!! I do like the idea of getting a 4.0 swap cause mines an 89 so its got the 4.2. I wanted to run a 37 tall tire will the 8.8 hold up? Good points there about swapping a v8 everything will need to be changed meaning big bucks! Would it be worth it for me to put money into the front d30? Shafts and a locker locking hubs? I'm doing this axles up cause its not my dd and I have some floor and rust repair to get to so I'm going to pull the tub off the frame do it right the first time

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Redacted
    Posts
    4,997
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 8 Hrs 33 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 24 Secs
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by g.i_jeep View Post
    I wanted to run a 37 tall tire will the 8.8 hold up?
    With a 4.0L, absolutely.

    Quote Originally Posted by g.i_jeep View Post
    Would it be worth it for me to put money into the front d30? Shafts and a locker locking hubs?
    For your application I think so. Unless you can find a cheap used Rubicon D44 front.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Hockley Valley, ON
    Posts
    5,112
    Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 35 Secs
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by g.i_jeep View Post
    I appreciate all the feed back!! I do like the idea of getting a 4.0 swap cause mines an 89 so its got the 4.2. I wanted to run a 37 tall tire will the 8.8 hold up? Good points there about swapping a v8 everything will need to be changed meaning big bucks! Would it be worth it for me to put money into the front d30? Shafts and a locker locking hubs? I'm doing this axles up cause its not my dd and I have some floor and rust repair to get to so I'm going to pull the tub off the frame do it right the first time
    The ONLY pro that can be said about your plan, is that you'll some get some good hands on experience and learn, otherwise you're throwing money on a dead dog. It'll be a much smarter choice to buy another Jeep with 4L, AX-15, mildly done up with a decent lift and tires, and as few other issues as possible.

    My last DD YJ had the 4L, D30 front (with TJ shafts), D44 rear, front and rear lockers, winch, cage, etc, and it lived well enough with 37" MTRs, aside from going through hubs more than normal. The D30 was definitely the weak link in that combo, but I certainly wasn't easy on it either. 35" tires and a little less lift would've kept much happier, but the YJ D30 with TJ shafts was much stronger than I thought, and really great bang for the buck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •