Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1978 Ford Kingpin axle shaft seal removal NEED HELP

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 3 Days 15 Hrs 38 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 20 Secs
    thanks for the response everyone. Changing all bearings including the spindle bearings.

I got new spindle bearing seal its all rubber material, do i sandwich that in first into the spindle tube or does it go on after? my set up didn't have a seal............ WTF
    92 RENEGADE

ECNALUBMA NA SI PEEJ REHTHO YM

82 Toyota long bed

Curtis I can't tell if thats a seal on your spindle.

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 28 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    There is no seal that goes inside the tube of the spindle. The spindle bearing seals go on the stub shafts.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

all rubber that goes against the spindle bearing

got it cheyne. I didn't go to be yet after working nights last night...........Fack

Thanks Curt for the WEB link

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 58 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 40 Secs
    I disagree Cheyne. Hammer the spindle bearing into the spindle hole then there's a little rubber seal. They used to have a metal lip that kept it from going in to far and rubber in the middle with that tiny wire spring jobber. Now it just comes with a little rubber guy. I grease the spindle bearing and toss a little rtv to hold the seal in. Then there's the mushroom rubber that goes on the outer shaft lip. Then there's a couple plastic guys that fit together. Not sure how much they actually do. can't guarantee I'm right but it's how I've done them. Just did it, should of snapped some pics. Sorry bernie. Lol
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

Curt and Cheyne youre both correct. Cheyne just is just pointing out not to put the spindle seal into the tube first follwed by the bearing.

Buddy Jordan helped me put this axle together. We managed to pull the carrier without much of fight, i'm surprised there are no shims in there. I droved the old axle seal out using my old cage tubes long and short piece....Curts idea thanks....I used long threaded rod with a washer and bolts to clean the inside of the axle tube. The tube was full of SOUTH CAROLINA and GOPHER DUNES Norfolk County MUD......Fakk.......I finished cleaning the inside of the tube with a rag soaked in varsol and my washer/rod tool.

I used the same short cage tube and seal driver tool to drive my new axle seal on the long end of the axle tube. I used the threaded rod combined with my seal driver tool to seat the other axle seal(short end axle tube) This was a TWO person jobber. Added a litlle RTV on the new axle seal on the metal part that mates with the axle tube.

Rotor was only $35 I was cheep and only bought 1. Jordan gave me $40 to replace the other side.......sweet..... I finished rebuilding 1 hub using new bearings, bearing race and seal. Installing new race piece of cake when you have the right tool. Pressing the old wheel studs using a press was an icing on the cake hahahhahahha. I need to rebuild the the other hub tomorrow, I ran outof parts.

My driver side front wheel had 1/2'' play. There was no spindle bearing left . The race was also paper thin. Some chiseling got the race out.

Over all it's been a challenge working on this 1 ton axles. They are simple and easy to work on after you tear into one. However everything is BEEFY and FREEKIN HEAVY.
    I was VERY VERY VERY angry to the last GUY that serviced and the LACKing of service of these axles. Wheel bearing seal was put on backwards, missing spindle bearing seals that resulted in water and mud in my diffs.

Thanks for all the HELP/TIPS

pics are coming
    Last edited by PRIORITY 4; 05-13-2015 at 01:44 AM.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Yes, we are both right but I was a little misleading stating that the only seals are on the stub shaft. While both parts of the spindle bearing seal assembly ride on the stub shaft, the inner seal must be installed on the end of the spindle and not just slid on to the stub shaft. Curt corrected that.

There is a Dana spindle bearing kit (Spicer #700014) that contains a spindle bearing, stub shaft seal assembly and inner spindle bearing seal.

awesome Cheyne thanks for that link. I should have both that kit above.

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 58 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 40 Secs
    I think that's the plastic guy(s) in the top left corner. had both on one side and none on the other. Forgot to put the 2 back in. Oh well. Lol

Another late night, however the front axle is done, ALELUYA....................I did a little painting as well.

What's the plastic washer do anyhow? I didn't buy that. Will my axle get junk in it? I bought 2 spindle bearing seals.

I have SOLID drive sluggs. I think I have the old style. Mine has the slugg,metal spacer, and thinn spirall typelock.

Does the slugg go in flat surface against the spindle nut? It came out that way.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by PRIORITY 4 View Post
    What's the plastic washer do anyhow? I didn't buy that.
    I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly but here goes - The plastic race is part of the large crush seal assembly that slides over the stub shaft.

The plastic race is a wearable part that prevents steel on steel contact when the stub shaft pushes against the spindle and will also prevent the stub from bottoming out too hard against the large crush seal.

This is where it goes: