Thread: Insurance and a third row seat in wrangler unlimited.

Time Online: 4 Days 2 Hrs 56 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Secs

Insurance and a third row seat in wrangler unlimited.

Just curious what the insurance industry would think about installing a third row seat in a wrangler unlimited, teraflex make the kit to install a 2 dr wrangler rear seat in the back of a jku. If using a factory seat, the teraflex kit and a set of proper seat belts and a roll bar extension from rockhard 4x4 what would an insurance company say or do?

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 2 Hrs 56 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 50 Secs
    You are not going to have much credible feedback asking us to predict what a given insurance company is going to do or say regarding changing the passenger capacity of a vehicle.

If you really want to know the correct answer, ask the insurance company. What we say or think doesn't mean much. I can envision that conversation going either way based on the insurance rep's experience and understanding of the policies they sell.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Time Online: 1 Day 23 Hrs 9 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Secs
    But was this question not directed to a insurance broker. (IE: Section theme)
    Yes a broker may not be able to respond for all companies but at least he/she could respond for the companies they represent.
    CTD NUT unless your an insurance broker you may have strayed out of your lane.
    2014 JK in anvil, auto, 3.73 gears, hardtop, 32" tires on 17" rims

My Mood
    Daring
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 12 Hrs 50 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 25 Secs
    You are going to try and add a seat to a vehicle and get it insured?

Getting a lifted Jeep insured is hard enough.

Good luck. (Sarcasm)
    93 YJ - Stock 2.5L inline 4, 4" Rough Country Lift, 1.5" Shackles, 33" BFG's, SYE yet to be installed, Raptor Liner Sprayed, CB, Stereo that goes BooM, Aussie locker front, XJ solid shafts, tube fenders by Tubular Metalworx, 8500lb winch, Garvin swing away tire carrier and clearly far too much time on my hands. No roof, no doors and two screaming kids in the back.

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 11 Hrs 23 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 36 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    Yes a broker may not be able to respond for all companies but at least he/she could respond for the companies they represent.

your right this a forum for "ask an insurance broker" you may think that CTD NUT has strayed out of his lane, but those who have gotten to know him via this forum or in person have the come to reliaze that he knows what he is talking about and take that knowledge both with a grain of salt and with thanx that helped.
    getting of my soap box!
    a learning experience is one of those things that says, you know that thing you just did...don't do that again.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    A couple of things to consider:

- The member who is supposed to be responding to these questions in this sub forum has not logged in in over 2 years. So, it could be considered unrealistic to expect an answer from the member.

- When I originally replied from the 'New Posts' search function, I did not note which sub forum this thread had originated from. This happens from time to time. Call it a lack of attentiveness or whatever. Consider this a 'straying out of my lane'.

- If someone is truly serious about getting the correct answer as it applies to them from their own insurance company or broker, they must contact their company or broker directly. Absolutely no other source of information should be considered a suitable substitute for these issues and questions. The insurance world is very complicated and applied differently and inconsistently or simply interpreted differently by so many different representatives of that industry, not to mention different companies really do have different policies regarding the myriad of variables out there, that everyone really does need to consider what applies directly and specifically to them as the only thing that really counts.

Quote Originally Posted by cheezballz View Post
    your right this a forum for "ask an insurance broker" you may think that CTD NUT has strayed out of his lane, but those who have gotten to know him via this forum or in person have the come to reliaze that he knows what he is talking about and take that knowledge both with a grain of salt and with thanx that helped.
    getting of my soap box!
    Thanks, meester cheezie.

But Woodsman isn't really wrong. Just unaware of some of the circumstances.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 44 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by derek1976 View Post
    Just curious what the insurance industry would think about installing a third row seat in a wrangler unlimited, teraflex make the kit to install a 2 dr wrangler rear seat in the back of a jku. If using a factory seat, the teraflex kit and a set of proper seat belts and a roll bar extension from rockhard 4x4 what would an insurance company say or do?
    Does it meet FMVSS/CMVSS?
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer Joe View Post
    Does it meet FMVSS/CMVSS?
    Trying to find anyone with authority that could actually answer that with a yes or know answer would be difficult. And the answer to that question may have little bearing on what the insurance company's answer is.

From an engineering perspective as it relates to the FMVSS, I would think the simple answer would be that it does not meet a standard it was not engineered to meet. But I also think that may play little into what the laws actually state as it relates to seating and passenger capacity...and I also think the law may play little into what the insurance company actually thinks. lol

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 44 Secs
    I actually know a few people familiar enough with FMVSS/CMVSS that they could say for sure which requirements this modification would fail to meet, and which tests this modification would have to go through to meet these standards.

That being said, I agree that it may have little or no bearing on the insurance company's response.

All in all, my vote is that this is a bad idea.

Edit: I realize I'm bumping a 6-week-old post. I don't care!
    Last edited by Engineer Joe; 07-31-2015 at 12:36 PM. Reason: See the post....

Time Online: 5 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 23 Hrs 16 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Mins 34 Secs
    Don't know if this would help or contact the company to ask about insurance.

http://www.littlepassengerseats.com/...unlimited.html

Time Online: 4 Days 2 Hrs 56 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Secs
    Ok. A little update here. First I have decided this is not a viable option for me. My wife and I thought it would be nice to load all 4 kids in the jeep put the top down and go for a cruise. Never intended for it to be something for daily driving or family vacations. I had a rear seat from a 2 door and have seen some people on other forums doing this. There are companies making the seat brackets and also a roll bar extension for a third row. I set the seat in place and took all of 10 seconds to realize it's just to tight. No leg room, doesn't look safe and the seat almost touches the tail gate. I didn't realize the member who resonded to this thread had not logged in for 2 years, had I realized that I may have put it under a different topic. I did contact little passenger seats a little over a year ago, there response was they have shipped seats to Canada, have never herd of a problem but they had no idea how laws or insurance companies would feel about this. So like i said this mod is not for me for many reasons. I thought about it and i would love to be able to go for a cruise with the wife and kids with the top down but I guess I'll have to settle for opening the sunroof o the mini van.
    Last edited by derek1976; 08-04-2015 at 07:37 PM.