Thread: Best price for trade in?

Time Online: 18 Hrs 22 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs

Best price for trade in?

So it's time to trade her in I'm not happy about it, but I really can't afford the jeep anymore.... so on that note, I thought I'd ask here just to be sure.

I have a very well taken care of 2011 Wrangler 2 door, both tops, never off road. 59,300 kms. I googled the black book value and it seems to be 13,000-19,000, which doesnt help me much.

I took her to a dealer today who offered me 17,700 but he said something about how since it's before taxes it's like a 20,000 trade in. I've seen a few on kijiji for 22-23,000 and don't mind taking the hit on a couple thousand for them to sell it and not me. I really don't want to sell it myself if I don't have to.

Does that sound about right? I have a friend who thinks I could get more...

Thanks so much in advance! This site has given me so much good advice!

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 35 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    The sales tax is on the selling price of a vehicle and in no way reflects on the trade in value of the vehicle. The tax is always over and above. While I was not there to hear exactly what the salesman said, short of him being full of shit, he sounds...confused. The trade in value is the trade in value - tax that is applied over and above that value has no bearing on the actual trade in value.

Go go find an online book value calculator that takes into account all the specifics of your vehicle and the geographic location and all that stuff. The are several of them out there. This will give you a more specific target value instead of a wide range and the go from there. You should expect the dealer is going to offer you something around the wholesale value which is going to be thousands less than the retail value.

If you feel that you would prefer to get top dollar retail value back on your jeep, you are going to have to sell it yourself. There isn't much of a way around that.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 37 Secs

Best price for trade in?

I've heard of that line "saving the HST", but it's only on trade ins. I've never bothered looking into it or doing the math on it, but it's a good sales tactic.

Bigger question is, if you can't afford the Jeep, why would you consider a trade in? Unless its on something smaller, reliable, and more affordable? Which won't be found in a Chrysler dealership BTW.

For auto values, I like VMR Canada: http://www.vmrcanada.com/mobile/
    Last edited by MUD DAWG; 07-05-2015 at 08:18 AM.
    OF4WD 5982 & 5983

Yeah he kept saying that offering me 17000 was just like a 20000 trade in. It did equal up once he added tax but still... it just seems funny to me. I used the vmr link thank you! It said wholesale 19000 and retail 22000.

Oh and I'm definitely trading in for something much cheaper and smaller...

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 2 Hrs 24 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 7 Secs
    When trading a vehicle in you do not pay HST on the value of your trade. So a $17 trade in value saves you $19210 off the out the door cost of the new vehicle.
    The brave man may not live long but the cautious man never lives at all.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 4 Wks 17 Hrs 49 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 50 Secs
    Sell it privately for $20000 then buy an older TJ for $6000 and a mid-2000's 'ford focus/Honda civic/VW jetta' for another $6000

BAM, still got a Jeep, also got a 'cheap on gas car' and $8000 in your pocket. pretty easy really...
    OF4WD MEMBER# 6656

Quote Originally Posted by jeremi View Post
    When trading a vehicle in you do not pay HST on the value of your trade. So a $17 trade in value saves you $19210 off the out the door cost of the new vehicle.
    Yup, good sales tactic, but only if you're trading it in for a newer or more expensive vehicle. Ask them to trade the Jeep for a cheaper, used vehicle on the lot and see their reaction. I bet they'll either offer less for the Jeep, or jack up the used vehicle even more.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8snwmx View Post
    Sell it privately for $20000 then buy an older TJ for $6000 and a mid-2000's 'ford focus/Honda civic/VW jetta' for another $6000

BAM, still got a Jeep, also got a 'cheap on gas car' and $8000 in your pocket. pretty easy really...
    Or just be content with a decent used TJ. If you're not into hardcore wheeling, or commute a million miles a year, then why buy, insure, and maintain 2 vehicles?

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 4 Wks 17 Hrs 49 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 50 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by MUD DAWG View Post
    Or just be content with a decent used TJ. If you're not into hardcore wheeling, or commute a million miles a year, then why buy, insure, and maintain 2 vehicles?
    yup, that's basically what I was implying, you can get through most of Ontario trails with 31's, skid plates and lockers. also you don't have to insure both all the time... but the best of both worlds.

I believe that whatever I drive to the trails is ready to take impact on every door and body panel. most people don't understand us Zhino
    Last edited by sk8snwmx; 07-06-2015 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8snwmx View Post
    yup, that's basically what I was implying, you can get through most of Ontario trails with 31's, skid plates and lockers. also you don't have to insure both all the time... but the best of both worlds.

I believe that whatever I drive to the trails is ready to take impact on every door and body panel. most people don't understand us Zhino
    There's something so intrinsically awesome about an older used vehicle. As long as it's safe and reliable, it's such a relief not worrying about dings and dents, and the fact you can walk into any scrap yard and pickup whatever part you need on the cheap. The most use and fun I've gotten out of a Jeep was a YJ that was a very good compromise between street and trail. It wasn't until my commute increased drastically and I had to get a Civic as a second vehicle. Filling up a Jeep 2-3 times a week got old and expensive in a hurry.

Anyways, getting off topic. Joy, don't get bogged down with a Jeep that isn't suiting your finances. They're pretty awesome, but it's still just a vehicle at the end of the day. You can always go offroading in someone else's Jeep while you get the finances back in shape. Sell it privately, and get a used vehicle to suit your budget. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MUD DAWG View Post
    Joy, don't get bogged down with a Jeep that isn't suiting your finances. They're pretty awesome, but it's still just a vehicle at the end of the day. You can always go offroading in someone else's Jeep while you get the finances back in shape. Sell it privately, and get a used vehicle to suit your budget. Good luck.
    Thanks so much! That's just what I'm thinking... I can always get another one eventually! I'm gonna have a friend come back with me to negotiate though, cause I'm thinking 17700 just isn't all that great an offer....