Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Year old JK biggest POS I've ever seem

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 37 Secs
    ^ Geez I hope you didn't type all of that on your phone..lol

Honda Civics? I had a plain jane model in order to save money, and feed my Jeep addiction. I bought it used with 160K, and drove to just shy of 500K. Boring to drive? Yes. Great little car? Absolutely. Can you honestly compare it a Dodge Neon? I can get you a sweet deal on the Brooklyn bridge if you want.

3 years ago, sister-in-law wanted something bigger than the KIA small SUV thingy she owned, and asked for my opinion. I said don't even think of the Caravan. She said but it's so much cheaper than an Odyssey or Sienna, and I told her there's very good reason, look it up. 2 weeks later she very happily bought a fully loaded Odyssey that just came off a 3 year lease. She's extremely happy with the van, and they drive a ton.

My immediate neighbour has a 3 year old Caravan, and he says it's not even worth the money to fix the AC that died 4 months after the warranty ran out. No good will repair offered. He had a Dodge Dakota prior, and it's taken him 2 Chrysler products to swear off them for good. My wife wanted a good little family car, but not minivan, so we settled on a loaded Mazda 5. We bought it just off lease with 95K, and now it's over 200K, and I've changed brakes ones, plus oil changes. We have no plans to get rid of it, and it'll be very close to the 400K mark before we'll change it because the body will likely be rusty by then.

Absolutely every car maker has lemons, and a few shining examples. Not all "American" vehicles are terrible, and not all "Japanese" are great. Right now, I'd buy a Ford before a Nissan. Both Honda and Toyota have had major issues, but I'd gladly take my chances with them vs Chrysler. To someone who works for the brand, or is associated with it, it's very hard to see the reality of things, even if multiple car magazines, insurance companies, rating agencies, consumer groups, or their own family and friends tell them. And to someone who is very handy, has all the tools, and loves wrenching on vehicles, then yes any vehicle will be reliable to them if they keep working on them every single weekend.

To anyone who thinks Chrysler makes safe and reliable vehicles, and it's ok if you don't want to fess up, but I want you to look in the mirror and be very honest with yourself when you answer this question. If Chrysler made air planes, would you fly?
    Last edited by MUD DAWG; 01-07-2016 at 11:54 PM.
    OF4WD 5982 & 5983

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 9 Hrs 39 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 56 Secs
    LOL

I love jeeps, I work in the aerospace industry, and if Chrysler made air planes i would not fly!

Fawk that was good.
    W'll figure it out, ya know what I mean.

2007 Unlimited Rubi
    99 TJ - Found a new home
    OF4WD#6811

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by MUD DAWG View Post
    Really? You mean to tell me you've never read or heard a single happy Honda or Toyota owner?

I realize this is a Jeep site, filled with Jeep owners, Chrysler employees, or somehow make a living because of the brand. I also realize how limited your conyrol over quality is, and you undoubtedly do your best for your customers, but let's be honest here, there's a damn good reason Chrysler comes in near the bottom for every reliability test ever done.

Jeeps are cool and one of a kind, the Dodge Rams are good looking trucks, and some of the sports car look wicked too. Chrysler should be honest and market those traits, and not the promise all of their models will see 100Ks before they need to be scraped.

You mean to tell me you have never read or heard of a happy Jeep or Ram truck owner?

We have quite a few customers actually more customers with JK's that have over 300,000km on that apparently shitty oil burning mini van motor then we do have ones that have blown them up.

I was and still am a Honda fan but as the Honda's got newer in age they got shittier in quality. My Japanese made 91 Civic I had never had one single drive train problem in over 400,000km. Every one after that 92+ burned so much oil after 200,000km that they would throw miss fire codes and no that wasn't from the valve cover seals around the spark plugs leaking which is another issue.

My point is every make and model has its issues. Some are just more lucky then others.
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by drakar View Post
    LOL

I love jeeps, I work in the aerospace industry, and if Chrysler made air planes i would not fly!

Fawk that was good.

LOL.....no one in their right mind would say yes, not even Fiat's CEO.

Speaking of aerospace, it's no secret what great work the old exec from Boeing did for Ford. Ford used to be the butt of all quality jokes, and they really deserved it. They ate some humble pie and are doing very well now. I wouldn't say they're Toyota or Honda quality, but they're a very different company under Alan Mulally.

CNBC did a great show on Ford's turn around, and if Chrysler was smart, they'd take notes and stop making excuses. Check out the link bellow for a quick read, but the video at the end is worth watching.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/40010150/n.../#.VpB6UPkrJdg

Quote Originally Posted by RBJeepThing View Post
    You mean to tell me you have never read or heard of a happy Jeep or Ram truck owner?
    I have heard and read a few, but that's not what I said, it's what you said. "The problem today is everyone will take the time to bitch, moan and complain online when there is an issue. No one takes the time when there isn't an issue to give thanks, kudos etc. "

We both know that's not true. The problem isn't that happy owners don't speak up, the problem is that Chrysler makes junk, plain and simple. For every happy owner, there's gotta be at least 50 or 60 very unhappy ones. You can only make excuses for so long before you need to man up and say, hey maybe it's the product.

My point is every make and model has its issues. Some are just more lucky then others.
    Your first point is true, as I already said, however the second part is the highlight of Chrysler's problem. Quality and luck don't belong in the same sentence. I'd love to personally hear why the guy bellow jumped ship. I somehow seriously doubt online reviews had anything to do with it

Betts leaves Chrysler after another poor quality showing

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 18 Hrs 20 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 22 Secs
    91 Suburban on 38 Swampers, 5.7 (350) V1500 4x4. Big ...red...and ugly.

"The camel toe is the smile of the body, if the body were a face"

Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 3 Days 12 Hrs 6 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 58 Secs
    MudDawg: You know me, who I work for, and what I do (though I now have a new job). I'm not trying to defend Chrysler whatsoever nor do I represent the company in any way but I do have a few general counter points to some of what you said. I'm not one to go back and forth on a forum, but I did not want you to state your point and think I agreed with you by being silent.

1) If you're suggesting Doug left because HE wanted to, I would consider other possibilities....

2) There are a lot of politics involved when it comes to Chrysler and certain 3rd party assessments that the general public is not aware of. Some of these work in their favor and others against them. For example, in any Consumer Reports metric: +1 to +3 points if you're Honda or Toyota, -1 point if you're Ford/GM, -2 points if Chrysler. You can choose not to believe me in that statement...

3) Another issue that is more specific to Jeeps: they are "lifestyle" vehicles with superior off-road capability to any of their competitors. For this reason, there are compromises and certain design characteristics that make them 'fun' but not the best daily drivers. You want a convertible but you don't want a loud ride on the highway; you want a badass design but not terrible aerodynamics. Well... good luck. Similarly, Fiats in North America score at the bottom of some lists but then the exact same product score mid-high with on the same metrics in Europe. This is because they are a European design with features and design cues North Americans are not used to but those that buy them don't understand or notice everything at the time of purchase. 3 months later they choose to complain because that's what people do when it comes to their average daily drivers. This is also the reason people are less likely to complain about their expensive BMW, Merc, Lexus, etc - you spent all this money for a luxurious image vehicle so it can't possibly be a lemon unless something actually fails.

4) Chrysler ABSOLUTELY has certain quality issues that deserve to be rectified just like any manufacturer of any product! When you deal with countless suppliers to assemble millions of vehicles around the world there will be issues as there are for any OEM. There are specific challenges Chrysler deals with that I won't go into detail on, but part of it is their place in the market. For the most part, all FCA products have fairly unique designs and are edgy because that's what sells and sets them apart from the other guys. That said, it also means they need to change constantly which is challenging.

5) To say there are 50-60 very unhappy owners for every happy one is fairly asinine (not trying to be rude when I say that). If that was the truth, the company would be out of business - plain and simple. it would cost too much in warranty to sell products. My pet peeve (because I hear it all the time and not to pick on you) is when people say "oh my neighbour/best friend/2nd cousin hate their XXX product. It's junk so all must be junk"... this is an emotional response and not based on real numbers. Not to mention it doesn't take into account severity of use or maintenance...

For all intents and purposes I will say these are solely my opinions.
    Tri-City Jeep Club

Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 3 Days 12 Hrs 6 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 58 Secs
    Forgot to add, as food for thought: think very critically of the role media plays and what sells stories. The Jeep recall where hitches were installed to help in rear end collisions was the craziest thing I've seen in a very very long time, Chrysler refused to comply to NHTSA's recommendation for a recall because the data didn't support it, yet they did a voluntary action anyway because media outlets put distraught housewives on the 5oclock hour that now fear for their lives!!!! It's crazy!! Plus it painted a target on Chrysler's back by NHTSA.

GM ignitions have killed people and their sales are better than ever, despite a few hilarious SNL skits.

Takata airbags have killed and mamed people... but they're not a household name so no one cares.

What was the public's opinion of the VW just a few months ago as one of the largest OEMs in the world? And what is it now? Their actions were deliberate with the diesel scandal and sure it's terrible for the environment and public, but man does it sell stories!

Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 17 Hrs 32 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Secs
    To the OP, not sure if this applies to you or not, but I went to www.camvap.ca when we had issues with our 2013 caravan. I received a 100% buy back decision a year after the purchase. Feel free to pm me if you want more details.
    Cheers,
    Wimpy
    OF4WD Member# 7832

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatruck View Post
    MudDawg: You know me, who I work for, and what I do (though I now have a new job). I'm not trying to defend Chrysler whatsoever nor do I represent the company in any way but I do have a few general counter points to some of what you said. I'm not one to go back and forth on a forum, but I did not want you to state your point and think I agreed with you by being silent....................
    For all intents and purposes I will say these are solely my opinions.

I totally understand, and I know your position on it very well. Actually I would've been rather disappointed if someone like you didn't have a heartfelt passion for the company. Having said that, and of course solely my opinions as well, but I believe Chrysler is suffering from exactly what Ford suffered from. Did you watch the video clip on the link I posted earlier? Chrysler needs the same kinda top guy, and the same attitude. Admit there's a problem, and work to eliminate the problem. I know how little say individual engineers, managers, line workers, etc have, so until the upper brass says day light, it's not gonna happen.

To your points.

1) What I said about Bets was tongue in cheek. Everyone knows he didn't just wake up and say "hmmm, I want to pursue other interests". I'm sure he gave it his all to see top quality marks, but his comments a year prior that Chrysler has closed the gap to Toyota quality so greatly, that the gap was almost none existent, really didn't help any.

2) You're absolutely right that Chrysler gets handicapped right off the bat. But that's due to past performance, of Chrysler's own making. Just like Hyundai and Kia had to work double as hard to lose the image of their old clunkers. Chrysler will have to work just as hard for people to take notice of the turn around.

3) You're right about Jeeps and the lifestyle. I said that as well. They're unique, and great at their own niche market. However, my comments are also regarding minivans, and Neons and the like. They're just boring everyday driving cars, so why the compromise on quality? And for the record, BMW and MB often get low scores as well, so those owners complain as well. Lexus scores highly, because of Toyota reliability.

4) I feel the pain of getting parts from a myriad of suppliers at work as well, but at the end of the day, the machines have our names on it, and we're responsible for them. It doesn't matter where the stereo or the power steering pump came from, the badge on the car says Chrysler, and that's who people who will ultimately hold responsible, and it's exactly how it should be.

5) You're not being rude countering my numbers, and you're probably right. I have no hard data on the ratio of unhappy owners, but what I have read are the countless tests done by 3rd parties, and thousands of owner surveys done. Why does Chrysler score at the bottom so consistently? And to your pet peeve about not liking "oh my neighbour, or friend had a Chrysler lemon" stories, I gotta point out you did the same exact thing, with stories of acquaintances who have millions of miles of absolutely trouble free commuting in a Chrysler. And of course to call them all junk is an exaggeration, just as much as calling all Toyotas wonders of quality and reliability. BUT, take the aggregate of all data available, you quickly see how badly Chrysler fares to it's competitors.

And one other point that really should be mentioned, is the fault of the consumer that can't be ignored. No one should expect steak for the price of a burger. Maybe if quality testing was broken down into categories, then Chrysler would be ranked more fairly. For example you know OEM quality replacement parts costs more and you expect more. Mid grade parts are cheaper, and econo parts are the cheapest and shortest lasting. I find people generally have a terrible perception of what good value is, and always assume cheap means good value. If Chrysler was ranked just as a mid grade quality car, then I'm sure it'll score better in that category instead of competing with the likes of Toyota or Honda.

Anyways, big congrats on the new gig and I hope it's great. You're a pretty smart guy and I wish you all the best. Let the big bosses know, if they'd like to hire my consulting services, then I'll try to squeeze them in. But I absolutely won't fly in a Chrysler built airplane

Cheers

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 13 Hrs 19 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 7 Secs
    Bottom line is every vehicle will have problems. Nobody makes a perfect vehicle. Honda lovers look up crv transmission shake. Jeeps will always suffer more due to the abuse we all put them through. If you have had this many problems with a brand new vehicle why would you keep taking it back to the same dealer? Have you actually seen the people working on the Jeep? Most likely in your location they are fresh out of school and (or) can't speak or read English. If you really feel like blasting the company than look into the lemon clause , get rid of the Jeep and stop whining on a jeep community forum.
    My jeep wears a bra, maybe you should too

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Wk 21 Hrs 39 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 39 Secs
    In the vehicle world I pick my fights and deal with my decision later. I would never expect a machine to be reliable for long. I feel reliability peaked in the late 90's and has been sliding down hill ass first ever since. Just too many extras these days. A family member with a '14 Rubicon Unlimited just recently had a pressure sensor under the intake manifold go bad and throw a CEL. Fixed under warranty...good to go. After warranty is gonna be a bitch the next time. It's not the sensor, but the crappy decision to install it where it can't be serviced. I put a high value on serviceability.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 41 Secs

Year old JK biggest POS I've ever seem

Quote Originally Posted by andy_98jeeptj View Post
    Bottom line is every vehicle will have problems. Nobody makes a perfect vehicle. Honda lovers look up crv transmission shake. Jeeps will always suffer more due to the abuse we all put them through. If you have had this many problems with a brand new vehicle why would you keep taking it back to the same dealer? Have you actually seen the people working on the Jeep? Most likely in your location they are fresh out of school and (or) can't speak or read English. If you really feel like blasting the company than look into the lemon clause , get rid of the Jeep and stop whining on a jeep community forum.
    Unfortunately in Canada there are no lemon laws. You can work with omvic and hope they mediate something in your favor but the mediation is not binding.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 1 Hr 30 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 34 Secs
    My 99 tj is mint. FCC.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 4 Days 22 Hrs 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 36 Secs
    Glad you posted this up. I was actually contemplating selling my H2 and cj to get a jk. I've never liked chrysler products and have always felt they are good for 3yrs and then the wheels fall off. Thanks again. I will keep my rock solid H2.
    84 CJ7

03 Hummer H2

06 Honda TRX 450R- sold... Guess im retired

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    oil leak is the oil cooler it cracks all the time
    91 Renagade
    frame replacement and more http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...91-yj-renagade

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 23 Hrs 40 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 43 Secs
    Well just for a lil update we are on defect number 13 lol how is everyone else's JK treating them?
    W "GO PREPARED" W
    2014 Sahara Unlimited
    WARN winch equipped!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 41 Secs
    Wow it's a jeep, how are there 13 things to go wrong.

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by wantmyroverback View Post
    Well just for a lil update we are on defect number 13 lol how is everyone else's JK treating them?
    Well? Do tell...
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 20 Hrs 24 Mins 28 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 7 Secs
    No problem here. 1 recall on a heated mirror plug.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    IM GOING TO FECAL IN YOUR GARDEN