Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TJ/LJ bolt on build

Time Online: 3 Days 6 Hrs 57 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by 87jeep View Post
    A front ujoint might not be bad to have on hand as well as the socket to take off the unit bearing. I forget the size. If you have the socket you can at least pull the axel and make it out with rear wheel drive if you don't get ujoint.
    How is the jeep running with the tune up done now and the extra oil out of it?
    Ahhh...Forgot to mention, Engine light has now turned off and the Jeep is running well. I was thinking of carrying a spare U-joint, tbh I have never changed one before hence why I got my mechanic friend to do it for me *Shame
    Last edited by Swindy; 06-06-2016 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drizit View Post
    Socket for the axle shaft is 36mm socket for the unit bearings is 12 point 13mm. Keep in mind on a TJ the stub shaft is required to keep the unit bearings in tact. You can pull the inner shaft if you brake the joint but you must keep that outter shaft in place and torqued properly (I want to say it's 100ft/lbs but double check) a CB is always a nice thing to have for trail rides. If you plan to do a body lift possibly look into a tummy tuck as well. With a 1" body lift a tummy tuck will usually net you 2+ inches of ground clearance with the bonus of aftermarket stronger skids. Also get a centering ball for the front drive shaft. With the way everything else has been on that jeep it wouldn't shock me to see that start to go and if it locks up it frequently splits the tcase. Add a unit bearing to your list of spares as well (never bad to have) possibly change fluid in the tcase, axles, and trans while you are at it... And with all that you should basically be out of money
    I have a CB from my truck I was going to add to the list but I haven't done it yet. Tummy tuck will be a good option I hit the tranny skid a few times getting high centered on rocks unlike my friends(Short wheel bases on my trip) Aftermarket skids seem expensive but definitely something to look into.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 41 Secs
    Look into tmr customs if you can weld. Put in their crossmember and pick up their tcase and trans/oil pan skid

Edit: oh and a savvy gas tank skid. If you do a 1" body lift it will let you lift the tank 2". I used to bash the stock one on everything, now the new skid has hardly any rash on it after all of last season.
    Last edited by Drizit; 06-06-2016 at 07:54 PM.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Look into tmr customs if you can weld. Put in their crossmember and pick up their tcase and trans/oil pan skid

Edit: oh and a savvy gas tank skid. If you do a 1" body lift it will let you lift the tank 2". I used to bash the stock one on everything, now the new skid has hardly any rash on it after all of last season.
    Small update:

I visited TMR on Friday and bought too much stuff for a guy who cant weld well.

So jeep, 2" belly up, oil pan skid, steering box skid, tranny universal cross member, gas tank skid(Warn), shock mounts off to mechanic friend who can weld to get done.

A bit out of my league and ability and I wanted it done right.

So thanks to Drizit, TMR and Fitzgerald Auto.

Added: I cracked both pans this year and got hung up on the tranny skid too many times. So I took Drizit's advice and checked out TMR. That should be worth something. They're great guys with great advice. I suggest checking them out as well. Thanks Jeremy and Tim.
    Last edited by Swindy; 10-24-2016 at 10:16 AM.
    OF4WD #9396,
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit: Stock
    2005 Jeep LJ: 2" Suspension lift, 1" Body lift, Tummy tuck, Rock Sliders, CB, Limb Risers, Front and Back Smittybilt bumpers, 12,000lbs Smittybilt winch, 32" KM2's, Fun stuff.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 41 Secs
    Nice, sounds like all good choices. You will really notice a difference.

Nice, sounds like all good choices. You will really notice a difference.
    Thanks for the advice, I hope to notice it when I slide over that first rock without damage.