Thread: Jeep down

Time Online: 21 Hrs 16 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs

Jeep down

So. A little background on my jeep, got it stock and threw a 4inch lift on it and 33 tires and wheeled the piss outta the thing. Always cleaned it off after.

So now to date. 3 months ago I was driving around and my jeep would randomly jump on me every few minutes. When it jumped the check engine light would come on and go off. So it's throwing a soft code. I tried scanning it with 3 different scanners and it just wouldn't connect. Later on that night it completley shut down on me and had to caa it. So I got it to where it needed to be and curt noticed that my orange key light in the dash so we disconnected the immobilizer and got a 97 tj computer and Scottie got wrenching and he found that my cam position sensor in the distributor was rotten so replaced it and the distributor with one that was working when it was taken off just to be sure. It sat for a good 2 weeks while fixing it. It worked fine for a solid week. Then back to the same thing. Bucking and jumping and check engine light.

Also. When it does start for me I can Rev it up out of gear no problem. As soon as it's in gear and I let the clutch out is when it starts to buck and jump and sputters

It broke down on me yet again. So I got a buddie to tow it to my house. Replaced the crank position sensor, fuel regulator, new vacuum hose on the tank. Still nothing. So I bring it to my highschool shop down the street and the shop teacher throws a injector timing light on it and we see that the injectors are only firing once when I turn the key and then once when I let the key go back. So I go and unplug the 97 computer and let it sit for 5 minutes and plug it back in and try again. Fires right up and the timing light is going off like it should. So he says get a proper computer for it. He said that a 97 computer on a 99 jeep could have a bunch of different sensors it needs to run properly

I just don't know why I can Rev the hell out of the thing when it's not in gear but as soon as I go to put it under load it sputters. I'm planning to pick up a 99 computer with the same po number as my old computer and see what that does for me. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem. Thanks for any help in advance.
    99 Jeep Tj 4 Inch Lift With The Legendary Front Stinger/Rad Hoop
    96 GMC 6.5 Detroit Turbo Diesel- First Truck
    02 Cavalier- DD
    Let's Build Some Sh*t!

I also am getting the right fuel pressure to the rail. About 47-49 lbs

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 38 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Will a code successfully connect to the 97 computer? I'm assuming you are using a code reader and not an actual scanner?
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

I've tried my code reader, curts code reader and my highschool shops 2000 dollar scanner and still nothing. My 99 computer was singed on the inside as well

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 38 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by NewfieNoah View Post
    I've tried my code reader, curts code reader and my highschool shops 2000 dollar scanner and still nothing. My 99 computer was singed on the inside as well
    So, if there is a communication problem with BOTH computers, you likely have a wiring problem in addition to anything else that might be going on. I would be trying to figure out why you cannot get a code reader or scanner to link and communicate with the computer before you throw anymore parts at it. I'm fairly sure even a bad computer with good wiring should still throw a "no comms" or "no BUS" type of code - Usually a P16XX code.

So, she's still sitting! It's been 5 months. It was running fine for a little while when I pulled out the temp sensor in the intake manifold and cleaned it with brake cleaner, it worked fine for a couple hours then back to jumping and sputtering,

I also unplugged the harness and left it for a couple days and it started again and ran fine for a few hours. I'm thinking I can get a harness for free and try the harness, if that doesn't work I've got some cash stored away and wondering if anyone knows any good shops I could trailer the bitch to?? Any help at all is appreciated!

going in the shop in 2 weeks. waiting on a harness from someone and if that doesnt do it shes going in. its wheeling season and i wanna drive the ole girl!

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Days 13 Hrs 42 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 19 Secs
    If you play in the Mud and water a lot I have seen the OBDII connector corroded which makes for a code reader to not connect...

The Computer will work fine from 97-99 with only a few slight differences but nothing serious...

definitely thinking there are some corrosion issues somewhere...

Did You swap the harnesses like you were saying you were going to do?
    1989 Jeep MJ: 4.7L Stroker, 4WD Swap, 97+Conversion, RC Long Arm Upgrade Kit, 35x12.5x18 Mickey Thompson MTZ's, WJ D30, WK SRT8 Rear D44 w/approx. 8" Lift
    1983 Jeep CJ7: SOLD

i havent swapped the harness yet, getting one this weekend and trying it.ive looked over all the connections and cant find any corrosion. havent even looked at it in a couple of months now. hoping this weekend shell fire right up with a new harness.if not then in the shop she goes