Thread: Durango fuel pump swap in a tj

Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 4 Hrs 58 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 40 Secs

Durango fuel pump swap in a tj

For those that care to know this info... the durango fuel pump assembly will swap into a tj tank.... you will need to shave a bit off of the top edge to fit the ring on to hold the assembly in... now the pressure difference between the two is 95-115psi for the durango pump and 85-95 for the tj pump and the gpm is the same at 45-55 ... so to feed a 5.2ltr or a 5.9ltr in a tj most v8 durango pump assemblies will work.....
    This swap i jus did on my tj and so far it works well....

And yes i did a 5.2ltr v8 swap in my jeep tj.....

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    98 tj 4" lift 33"mudrovers

95 firebird lift unknown???? but will be really high!!!---mud toy

JUSCUZ

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 28 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    As far as I'm aware, the 4.0 and 5.2 Mag both have the same, or very similar, operating fuel pressures. The 45-50 PSI range.

The pressures you posted are the peak pressures those pumps will operate at. Which, for whatever reason, are not very relevant to the operating pressures for either engine. Knowing that and that the flow numbers are the same, what would the advantage to the Durango pump be? I'd imagine the flow the requirement for the 5.2 isn't much more than a 4.0 because the HP difference is not significant. Based on the pump flow numbers you posted, it would stand to reason that the 4.0 pump should flow plenty for the 5.2 as is.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Yes it does but my pressure regulator went and needed a replacement... swaping to that pump will set me up if i want to drop in a 5.9ltr instead as it needs a bit more fuel than the 5.2ltr....

All in all the pump cost me $40 instead of paying out the a$$ for a new tj unit....

So the research i did i thought I'd share the info for anyone who cares to know about it...

My Mood
    Buzzed
    I remain confused at how the Durango pump is supposed to change anything. You stated that it flows the same amount of fuel as the TJ pump. It makes me wonder at what pressure those advertised flow numbers are measured at.

I understand the saving a buck part as we are all for that.

This is the only info i could find.... in some how-to posts for 5.9ltr mag swaps they mention swaping the pump for more fuel as the 5.9 needs it but they don't mention how or what or any more info.... and i went with a 5.2ltr so i never followed up with 5.9 swap info....
    Overkill told me that he was told the durango pump was an easy swap but ran a bit more psi than a factory tj....
    That being said i went to napa website and found out what info i could on the durango 4.7 5.2 and 5.9 pumps with all numbers being the same if i remember correctly...
    One thing ill have to look up is the fuel psi needs for the tj 4ltr and the 5.2ltr and for good measure the 5.9ltr and compare the info....

My Mood
    Buzzed
    One thing to remember is that pumps do not produce pressure - they produce flow. Pressure is the resistance to flow. The regulator in the system is what maintains the correct pressure regardless of the flow demand from the engine.

The advertised pressures you stated are the maximums each pump will typically tolerate. Which has little to do with operating pressures. And above all else, we have no idea at what pressure the advertised flow numbers are measured at. It is very likely that the flow ratings could be at free flow (Zero PSI). But again, we don't really know. So, we get a bunch of numbers that don't mean much without more information.

Since the 4.0, 5.2 and 5.9 all use the same operating pressures, having a pump that is capable of operating at a higher pressure than another isn't beneficial. If all of the pumps are capable of operating continuously at 50 psi, that is all that really matters in that regard. Now, which one flows more at 50 psi might be important if we are to assume the 4.0 pump cannot flow enough for the V8's in question. Which, I doubt there would be an issue with.

Ill research more and report back...

Time Online: 1 Yr 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 16 Hrs 51 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Mins 25 Secs
    Good tech. I love conversations like this! They seem to be becoming harder and hard to come by though with Facebook groups becoming such a big thing and forums dieing.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Very true. And all the Facebook groups seem to attract is hoards of the lowest common denominator types which make for, ahem, less than engaging conversation.

Time Online: 1 Yr 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 16 Hrs 51 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Mins 25 Secs
    That is a very PC way of putting it lol.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 9 Hrs 30 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 24 Secs
    i read an article awhile ago in JP where they swapped a 5.9L in place of a 2.5l and they ran the factory 4 banger fuel pump with no issues
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...agnum-v8-swap/
    Essex County Jeep Club
    -1999 TJ "50 Shades of Jeep"

Ya that sounds about right.... all the numbers i have found are all the same or very similar.... i jus put the durango pump in as it was cheap at $40 and posted this to give guys another choice if their pumps break....

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 12 Hrs 58 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 36 Secs
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	correct.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	103717
    a learning experience is one of those things that says, you know that thing you just did...don't do that again.