Thread: Limp mode and Traction control light on

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 9 Hrs 39 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 56 Secs

Limp mode and Traction control light on

Hopefully someone can offer some insight on this or these issues that are making me insane.

Synopsis:
    Jeep was driving fairly well. Once in awhile it would go into limp mode. But only in the heat. To try and get rid of this issue i have replaced the throttle body, accelerator pedal assembly, every sensor on the top of the motor and took the upper plenum off and inspected the harness(no issue found but you never know).
    Recently my traction control light has come on and the jeep is now hobbled. No throttle response and it wont go over 40km/hr. It sputters and smells like gas.
    I have used a code reader and have some o2 sensor errors and tps stuck open. There may be a couple of others but they are slightly different every time.

I am open to suggestions as i am running out of ideas. My last thought is the ecu/ecm/pcm.

thx in advance for any help,

d.
    W'll figure it out, ya know what I mean.

2007 Unlimited Rubi
    99 TJ - Found a new home
    OF4WD#6811

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 36 Secs
    Check for corrosion in the ecu connectors. I believe I remember reading some place that you could actually open the harness connections up and they would have hidden corrosion inside.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 33 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    What are the o2 codes? O2 faults can cause all sorts of lean and rich conditions that will absolutely affect drivability. What TPS code do you have?

There is no point looking elsewhere for issues until you address the current issues. If you are unable to perform a proper diagnoses of the existing codes, you may want to consider taking it to someone that can.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

I have a few different codes. Depends when you do a reading. Common themed ones are below:
    02 sensor Bank 1 sensor 2
    TPS Curcuit High
    TPS Curcuit Low
    Pedal Sensor Stuck open loop
    C121C - Torque Request Signal Denied

These are from memory, i will get the actual codes, or a screenshot. TPS errors and Pedal sensor errors are why i replaced the throttle body and pedal assembly. 02 error has been there for months, on the fix when i have time list. Torque Request Signal Denied is brand new and i figure is why i am hobbled with no throttle. Considering maybe a steering wheel center issue or ECM, or TIPM. Maybe even bad ground.

As you state, advanced diagnostics may be required as there is no exact solutions for these errors with the scan tool and codes i am getting. I am hoping someone has run into this before and maybe able to point in the right direction. Most information on the interwebs points to long stories with the jeep ending up at the dealer with a new ecm and wiring harness as well as other parts.

Thank you in advance for the help,

d.

So here are all the codes in the order they are in the scanner:

P0123 tps app circuit high
    P0038 02 sensor 1/2 heater circuit high
    P2111 Electronic throttle system unable to close
    P2122 Accelerator pedal position sensor 1 circuit low
    P0222 Throttle postion sensor 2 circuit low
    P2138 accelerator pedal position sensor 1/2 correlation
    c121c torque request signal denied
    C2116 abs pump motor supply low voltage.

All thoughts welcome.

thx,
    d

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 36 Secs
    Corroded connections some place I suspect.

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 58 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 40 Secs
    Bad o2 sensor will choke it out and wreak like fuel. I'd start there and a new tps sensor, if you haven't already
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

Thank you all. I have been looking for corrosion. Thinking of investigating the TIPM?

Thank you curt, 02 sensor is on the list. tps already replaced. its non-servicable so its part of the throttle-body. I was also thinking of putting the old throttle body back on, on the chance i got a bad new one, or shipping damage.

thx,

d.

Just an update for anyone with similar issues...

It is all appearing to be related to the pigtail plug to the tps sensor on the throttle body. I have eliminated all codes but one by tightening the plug connector beyond belief.(crazy ziptie leverage). The plug has rubber in it that acts like a dampener and creates resistance. I have ordered a new pigtail and i am going to splice it in and put it on and see if it gets rid of the final code(tps circuit low).

I did have help from a guy with a diagnostic computer to eliminate other potential causes. I had looked at the connector many times but he discovered that it would push in just that much more. The cudo's go to him.

d.

Update for anyone interested..

Replaced the connector. Turns out this is a serviceable item. It corrected all the codes but the o2 sensor. Unfortunately it only lasted one night. I drove it around, no issue. Got up this morning, started the jeep, lightening bolt is back. grrrr.

The connector replacement came with 2 sets of the same wires. It was much much tighter to put in the the original. It may be possible everytime you disconnect the tps that you should replace these wires. Dunno, not sure. And the clip the holds them in slides to the left. If you try this make sure you do that or it will break. Also the rubber inside is not a dampener, it is a friggin moisture barrier that appears to act like a spring.

Anyways, still not fixed and running out of options. I am confused on how messing with this plug can fix it for awhile, and then it comes back. Electronics are not my friend right now.

d.