Thread: Moving to Ontario :) & passing safety

Time Online: 7 Hrs 18 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs

Moving to Ontario :) & passing safety

Bought my dream property in ON a couple weeks ago and am in the process of doing all my address changes... did my drivers license yesterday and they said I need to get proof of insurance on the vehicles, then safety and E-test and then I can get plates.
    my DD is a stock 06 Tahoe in good shape... it should pass safety or need very little to pass.
    My Jeep is a 2000 TJ w/ 4" suspension lift, 2" body, 38" TSL's ... do I have any hope in hell of passing safety? Any recommended Shops? East Hawkesbury Area...
    2000 TJ, 4" suspension lift, 2" BL 35" XMT's, and other goodies.
    1997 TJ, 4" suspension lift, 33" BFG's (project "Free-J")
    2000 Grand Cherokee, stock 4.0, quadradrive, fully loaded daily driver.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 8 Mths 3 Days 23 Hrs 10 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 3 Secs
    There are some new laws in place, some just resurfaced that where kind of looked over. #1- wheels must be completely covered, and mud flaps. If your lift is installed correctly and is not pieced together from different vehicles you should be ok. Any welding on the frame will cause a fail unless it has been certified.
    There is a ton more, bumper height, headlights, tail lights , signals, especially if they are LED signals.
    WARNING! I am about to do something really fawking STUPID!!!!!!
    ᄅ# pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    93 YJ- RIP- parted out like I should be

Time Online: 6 Days 21 Hrs 29 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 34 Secs
    Try posting on OVO (website/Facebook), EOTB (FB) or OJC (FB) - being local, you're more likely to get suggestions in the area.

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 58 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by thing1 View Post
    There are some new laws in place, some just resurfaced that where kind of looked over. #1- wheels must be completely covered, and mud flaps. If your lift is installed correctly and is not pieced together from different vehicles you should be ok. #2- Any welding on the frame will cause a fail unless it has been certified.
    There is a ton more, bumper height, headlights, tail lights , signals, especially if they are LED signals.
    This is why there is so much worrying and misinformation floating around.

Here are the standards: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tru...n-standard.pdf

1. Section 8 -d) d) Fender it doesn't have to cover the tire but needs to be the same width as long as it controls road spray.
    2. Section 1 -b) b) The welds dont have to be certified. They have to meet or exceed OEM standards.

“OEM standard”– means the manufacturing methods, component and assembly quality levels, and performance levels set by the manufacturer of a vehicle or vehicle component to ensure a vehicle is able to perform safely as intended. It includes component quality, performance levels, repair methods, durability, safety and the service methods outlined in the warranty and service literature provided for the use and maintenance of a vehicle. Parts supplied by OEM, and established aftermarket manufacturers of parts intended for direct replacement of OEM parts, are generally considered to meet OEM standard.

Basically dont drive junk and you wont have an issue when it comes to an inspection. That being said when new guidelines are brought in you can bet Johnny Law will try their best to use them to their advantage. We are a certified repair and certification facility and have been instructed on the new Ontario Safety Standards. Nothing is really new they have just clarified a lot of things that were somewhat of a grey area.
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 21 Hrs 46 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 17 Secs
    Lights aimed properly and seat belts work. no holes in the floor put a set of rollers on it for the safety and you're good.
    Signed with an X

May my YJ RIP
    Building an SAS Xterra...slowly

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 2 Days 8 Hrs 45 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 23 Secs
    make sure you have at least a half tank of gas. more is better.
    and if you have a slow leak in a tire, get it fixed before hand, or just air it up right before you take it in. tires all have to match in size. don't think mixed brands matter tho. obviously tread depth matters as it too gets recorded on the sheet, which you must keep in the vehicle for at least one year.

other than those silly new inspections, everything else is basically about the same. other than they have to record on the sheet the actual thickness of pads, shoes, rotors and drums.
    proud OF4WD member #3875